Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just passed driving test (rant!)

Options
  • 22-10-2007 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I just passed my driving test first time around with no faults on the page at all. I thinnk it has all to do with my driving instructor. Anyways, I rang up my insurance company Hibernian to inform them of the good news. They said it would drop by 127e for the remaining 4 months-bringing it down to 1000e for the year. So i rang up quinn to see what they could do-783e with me as the main driver (not as a named as in the hibernian policy!) and my father as a named driver.
    Rang up hibernian to ask if they could better it (we have 3-4 policies with them and find them great to deal with) They couldn't even come close. For the same policy quinn had at 783 hibernian were 1391.13. Are they having a laugh?!? I know quinn have a reputation as being cowboys but how can there be such a huge difference. It really goes to show that theres no such thing as a loyal company-im tempted to switch all the policys now!
    RANT OVER!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really goes to show that theres no such thing as a loyal company-im tempted to switch all the policys now!
    RANT OVER!
    Of course there isn't. They're in it to make money, whereas you're in it to save money. You need to shop around for each policy, every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

to really rub salt in the wounds-just rang up to see what quinn could do for the mothers policy-990 down to 602. So basically we're almost getting a free policy with the amount of savings we'll have made when we switch to quinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't just stop there. You really need a bit of time with the Golden Pages and a phone. Try FBD in particular, but try everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was in a situation about 4 or 5 years ago where I really fancied a particular car and quinn, who I was then insured with, wouldn't touch me in it (they've all loosened up since then, it was only a 1.6 integra FFS).

I had to have 3 years NCB before I qualified for any insurance with hibernian and the quote was very reasonable. I bought the car- it was stunning. I just had to have it when I saw it, especially at the time when integras weren't everywhere like they are now.

I bought the car with 6 weeks left to run on my 3rd year of driving, the car was parked in my garden for this time!! I rang up to get the insurance using the ref number and mentioned something about it being a jap import. They said "oh, we don't insure jap imports". Even though I'd never been asked anything about it and every integra in the country was an import they just dug their heels in even though the only reason I'd bought it was becasue they quoted me for it. I eventually rang Brittons and told them my plight and they told me they would get me insurance on a jap import- it was with hibernian and the policy mentioned it sprecifically.

I then was was (naturally) very unhappy with the integra. I bought a rep spec '96 A4 tdi and my insurance almost doubled?!! I rang quinn and they quoted me a third of what Hibernian wanted to charge. I told them- for what I'll pay in the remaining 3rd of the policy will buy me a year with quinn. "So?" was basically what I got- "will i put onto the cancellation dept.". That was as helpful as they were prepared to be.

So I did. I've heard about this reputation thing with Quinn but i've found them to be even better and better as time went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

As anan1 says, ring around every year. An hour on the phone might save you 100 or more.

MIAB found our little Irish insurance industry made more profit (actual not relative) than the UK industry (wow)

Sometimes sale staff have leeway to offer extra reductions to meet other better offers, sometimes they dont.

There are only a small number of actual companies, most are subsidiaries.
    Quinn may be fine if you never have any claim (fire/theft/windscreen,), do then you lose your NCB. (so usually not worth claiming) These claims dont usually have such effect with other companies.
    As I got to full NCB Ive found Axa and AA give me the best quotes.

I dont understand people who pay thousands for insurance to same company every year without question. As one friend said when I asked her why "but I've no choice"
    Not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

wil wrote: »
    Quinn may be fine if you never have any claim (fire/theft/windscreen,), do then you lose your NCB. (so usually not worth claiming) These claims dont usually have such effect with other companies.

Thats the only real kicker I've found with Quinn (lost my NCB after a theft claim :(). Despite their reputation I've always found them to be quite efficient and their staff are very professional and courteous.

Might be worth paying extra for protected NCB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Been using FBD for a few years now. I've given up shopping around as they are always competive and the few times I have shopped around in the past the quote was always more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

I'm on my 4th year driving, started with a 1.4 Pug 306 and I was 24 going 25 when I started.

All the quotes I got were 2000+ even tho I'd a full licence. Quinn got me in just below 2 so I went there for the first year. hibernian put me off with all the extra's and need to sit their ignition course etc and AXA priced me ridiclous money.

Switched to FBD at the end of my first year as quinn quoted me 1200 and FBD were 1100.. year 3 quinn were 950 and FBD were 850.. this year Quinn were 900 and FBD were 650 incl NCP.. despite my changing to a 1. Pug..

I'd no problems with Quinn but waiting 5 yrs for NCP is just a joke .. other than that there are better deals.. I like FBD's style, the changed my policy when I got the new car free and the policy prices were only €20 in the diff so they wrote it off. I've just had a windscreen replaced.. free obviously.. and they showed up where and when they were supposed to.

quinn are great to get you going but I'd move on after a year or two cos you'll gain more with others incase you need to claim..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stop the presses!!!!!!!!!! Two insurance companies offer different quotes shocker!!!!

Every everyone had the same, or even similar, quotes (even low ones) people would be screaming blue murder about collusion. Just be happy you got a better quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'd tell Hibernian you're going to pull the 4 policies.

I'm 25 and I've a new BMW 335i (3.0L engine) covered for 1650 with them. Even at 40, you'd struggle to get that car covered for less then 900 quid. I tried to get every discount out of them for it, partner on the car, home policy with them discount, parents with them discount.. you name it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MarkN wrote: »

I'm 25 and I've a new BMW 335i (3.0L engine) covered for 1650 with them. Even at 40, you'd struggle to get that car covered for less then 900 quid. I tried to get every discount out of them for it, partner on the car, home policy with them discount, parents with them discount.. you name it.

What sort of NCB do you have?Are you the only one on the policy?(Edit, just saw your partner is on it)

I just checked online with them. For me on my own (26 4 years ncb) on an 07 335 is €1380 fc. €1060 tpft. When I add my GF its €1150 fc and €859 tpft.

MarkN wrote: »

That is a very good quote for your age. I'm paying the same with them for a 2500cc at 26. I assume that is only for 3rd part F+T ? If so how much was fully comp?

Advertisement