Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coonagh Cross SC

Options
  • 22-10-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

The new Tesco at the new Coonagh Cross shopping centre opened today. Have not been down to see it yet, but drove past it yesterday all the hoardings around the site have been removed. The inside of the SC itself looks like its going to be alot like the crescent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Why put a major shopping center on one of the busiest roundabouts in Limerick. Did the Parkway roundabout teach the county council nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

i had to do a collection at the airport yesterday, it took me 30 minutes to get from outside the radisson to the first roundabout.
    what a joke
    as for the parkway issue, dont get me started, i live there, its quicker for me to walk to dunnes etc than to drive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Will be a nightmare alright but very handy for those coming from the Shannon side. The Crescent I imagine will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Will be a nightmare alright but very handy for those coming from the Shannon side. The Crescent I imagine will be affected.

Only if there are decent stores in Coonagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

has to be the worst planning decision ever. Who ever gave that the go ahead is a fcuking tool. I know lets put an extra roundabout on an already over loaded route.

Cant believe decisions like that are given the thumbs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

yea but what you have to remember is the when the new bypass/tunnell opens it will seriously ease congestion on that road as the slip onto it is the ennis side of the two mile. is tesco actually opened????any idea what other shops are goin there and when?? also anyone know what shops are goin into the units beside woodies???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

was there a few minutes ago. Its a Tesco, nothing more nothing less. The rest is not open and according to a builder I know working there it wont be until March 08. Its nice but its just a Tesco and wouldnt even be close to 1/2 the size of Dunnes at the Jetland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tal Hawkins

opelmanta wrote: »
    yea but what you have to remember is the when the new bypass/tunnell opens it will seriously ease congestion on that road as the slip onto it is the ennis side of the two mile.

Yeah but the tunnel isnt due to be opened until 2010, so a good 2 and a half years of traffic jams to encounter untill then, and thats providing the tunnel opens on time.

opelmanta wrote: »
    yea but what you have to remember is the when the new bypass/tunnell opens it will seriously ease congestion on that road as the slip onto it is the ennis side of the two mile. is tesco actually opened????any idea what other shops are goin there and when?? also anyone know what shops are goin into the units beside woodies???

I think the fact the tunnel will be a toll one will cause many drivers to continue using the current set up.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

According the halifax site there will be a branch there too. Traffic is never any good there around the busy times, not sure will there be a huge increase during the week. Weekends i'm sure will be noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

So where is a good place to build a shopping centre on the Northside and how best would you deal with additional traffic? There is usually a lot of noise about traffic when retail units/shopping centres open but the city centre can't cope either.

Most shoppers that will visit the centre will now be diverting away from one of the other centres - Jetland, Crescent, Parkway and Castletroy and ease some of the congestion on the roads to/from these centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The road in/out of the place is a bit all over the shop. Not much of a surprise for Irish shopping centres though.............

phog wrote: »
    So where is a good place to build a shopping centre on the Northside and how best would you deal with additional traffic? There is usually a lot of noise about traffic when retail units/shopping centres open but the city centre can't cope either.

Most shoppers that will visit the centre will now be diverting away from one of the other centres - Jetland, Crescent, Parkway and Castletroy and ease some of the congestion on the roads to/from these centres.

It really is quite simple. Don't build them where existing infrastructure is struggling to cope with volumes already. Their are areas of the city that should be designated pressure areas and where any development is quite simply prohibited. The area around the Coonagh roundabout is one of these areas. The Coonagh roundabout backs up all the way from the city center at rush hour (I have seen it backed up beyond Shiels garage in the winter). So if the city center can't cope and the suburbs are struggling then large scale developments should be moved further out. There is 20 miles of dual carriageway between Ennis and Limerick with plenty of land either side of it. Give it it's own exit off the dual carriageway.

There is "noise" everytime another planning decision degrades the quality of life in Limerick. But fair play to the city and county councils, they go ahead regardless and plough headlong into the next mistake. Limerick has a population of roughly 90,000 and the amount of traffic congestion the people of limerick have to endure is testimony to the indifference of councilors and politicians to the quality of life of the people they are supposed to be representing.

Yeah but the tunnel isnt due to be opened until 2010, so a good 2 and a half years of traffic jams to encounter untill then, and thats providing the tunnel opens on time.

Fair point but let's wait till it opens and see the effect on traffic then. Why build it three years (2 years 11 months) before the bypass is complete. It's not like if they get it wrong they can just move it further out. By then who knows the normal everyday traffic congestion of Limerick may extend beyond the Coonagh Roundabout?

Neon-Circles apologies on hijacking your thread..I'll go away now mumbling incoherent obscenities at traffic planning as I go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

as to the new entrance to Ferndale - what a joke. wouldn't like to be living there to be honest. imagine having to fight the shopping traffic to get down to the roundabout to fight your way back up again to get into your estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

lads to be honest they will never ever build a shopping centre 10 or 15 miles from the city as 1-that land is in county clare (north side) and as a result we would have no obligation to hand plans to clare and ask them to build!
    2-as a result of building in clare (if it happened which it would neeeever) limerick would not get a profit out of it so why build in clare? 3-lets say a big shopping centre was built somewhere in county limerick like off the ring road between castletroy and raheen in a field..chances are that in a few years time that the whole area would be housing estates! you can even see it happening where the shannon tunnell is being built! classic example! that coonagh centre would not be there if the tunnell wasent being built! so stuff like that creates a domino effect in terms of good amnities etc..now maybe coonagh cross is different in the fact that is so close to the border but you can imagine houses and housing estates being built around new ****..which results in more traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was in there yesterday evening but only the Tesco was opened. Nothing special to be honest. The drive out of the place is a bit weird, having to go down and around and then up again but I suppose it is designed that way to handle traffic better.

Is the other part of the shopping centre open yet?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Was in there yesterday evening but only the Tesco was opened. Nothing special to be honest. The drive out of the place is a bit weird, having to go down and around and then up again but I suppose it is designed that way to handle traffic better.

Is the other part of the shopping centre open yet?

The rest of it starts to open from Easter 2008 according to their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What else is going there? Wasn't a cinema supposed to be there at one point or has that changed again?

What else is going there? Wasn't a cinema supposed to be there at one point or has that changed again?

The cinema will be a nine screen one with 1625 seats going by the website.

http://www.coonaghcross.com/index.cfm?cid=4

• Advertisement

Any idea what cinema chain will operate the cinema (omniplex, storm etc) or will it be independently run...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't know but I also heard of them opening another cinema at the new parkway valley shopping centre.
    2 has always seemed enough to me like but looking at cork city which has loads I guess they can justify it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Of course another cinema can be justified. We have feck-all on this side of the city, unless you count Funworld on the Ennis Road as good quality entertainment (and even that'll be gone soon). :mad:

Ya I guess coming from Hospital i've never really had to go to that side of the city, its just when I go to storm half the time its empty and now I hear they want to open another one at the parkway valley shopping centre.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya I guess coming from Hospital i've never really had to go to that side of the city, its just when I go to storm half the time its empty and now I hear they want to open another one at the parkway valley shopping centre.

have heard an awful lot of hype about theparkway valley one....over 50 units, basketball court, ice skating rink, cinema, theatre. also heard they will close the old parkway and build a hotel there...who knows

Ya hope they close the parkway, dunnes is the only thing keeping it open as far as I can see. I don't know why some shops like carphone warehouse are there at all, never see anyone in there.

Whats the design of the coonagh cross sc like? Hope its a lot better than the jetland, I was at the jetland a few weeks back and though it was the most boring place alive.

I agree, I dont like Jetland at all.

Coonagh Cross looks like the Crescent.....the malls look the same with the high glass ceilings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I agree, I dont like Jetland at all.

Coonagh Cross looks like the Crescent.....the malls look the same with the high glass ceilings etc.

Have you seen the inside of coonagh?

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya hope they close the parkway, dunnes is the only thing keeping it open as far as I can see. I don't know why some shops like carphone warehouse are there at all, never see anyone in there.

Whats the design of the coonagh cross sc like? Hope its a lot better than the jetland, I was at the jetland a few weeks back and though it was the most boring place alive.

avent been to coonagh yet but personally i think jetlands is a pretty cool place design wise. it noce and spacious although i reckon they were drunk when they designed the underground carpark as it makes no sense atall!!its a deathtrap!! all jetlands needs is a few more decent shops which wont be too far away once the new lidl/aldi opens across the way and more stores open beside woodies(petshop openin in coming weeks btw)

• Advertisement

I have to disagree with you there, I found the shops at jetland to be too small and the whole design of the place (inside) was terrible, just one long hall, theres like no foodcourt type place, I can't really describe it but its like the hall is too big and the shops are too small,

Poxy help me out here

Oh by the way I've no problem with the new retail park beside it, just the main building.

Advertisement