Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business as usual by the IRA

Options
  • 22-10-2007 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the latest "punishment beating" that has gone wrong we can be in no doubt that the criminal elements of the IRA are still out there and still trying to influence people with fear and violence. As usual Sinn Fein are trotting out the old line that they had nothing to do with it but tbh who believes them anymore.

If they and their comrades in the IRA are serious about the peace process then they should turn in the murderers of Mr. Quinn to the only law and order authority in this country the Gardai. I doubt this will happen and then the next question we should ask ourselves is why we allow a political organisation to operate when they are associated at least or more likely linked to a pseudo-paramilitary mafia like operation which the Provisional IRA has transformed into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

gandalf wrote: »
    Well with the latest "punishment beating" that has gone wrong we can be in no doubt that the criminal elements of the IRA are still out there and still trying to influence people with fear and violence. As usual Sinn Fein are trotting out the old line that they had nothing to do with it but tbh who believes them anymore.

If they and their comrades in the IRA are serious about the peace process then they should turn in the murderers of Mr. Quinn to the only law and order authority in this country the Gardai. I doubt this will happen and then the next question we should ask ourselves is why we allow a political organisation to operate when they are associated at least or more likely linked to a pseudo-paramilitary mafia like operation which the Provisional IRA has transformed into.

Makes me feel proud of the people of the Republic of Ireland for not increasing SF representation in the last election,

oh and don't give me this SF and IRA are totally seperate s**T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

but, no member of the IRA has ever been convicted of drug dealing, fuel/pig smuggling.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Indeed. I can't believe Adams can't find out who exactly committed that killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

murphaph wrote: »
    Indeed. I can't believe Adams can't find out who exactly committed that killing.

Seriously do you think the Gardai or the PSNI need Adams to tell them who did it.
    In fairness Adams has said that anyone involved in this is a criminal and anyone with information should contact the PSNI or the Gardai no ifs buts or maybes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    In fairness Adams has said that anyone involved in this is a criminal and anyone with information should contact the PSNI or the Gardai no ifs buts or maybes.

You mean like they did with the McCartney murder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Seriously do you think the Gardai or the PSNI need Adams to tell them who did it.
    So will Gerry be going to the PSNI with any information he can glean from the republican movement, which he heads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lads stop this! 7 posts and everyone bashing the Provos.

Lets hear it for the other point of view.

Mike.

Lemming wrote: »
    You mean like they did with the McCartney murder?

From memory in the McCarthy case they suggested people go to the PSNI if they were comfortable if not go to a solicitor etc etc
    Not outright and immediate condemnation or call for support for the PSNI in dealing with the case
    So the response seems different to me but I stand to be corrected

murphaph wrote: »
    So will Gerry be going to the PSNI with any information he can glean from the republican movement, which he heads?

have no idea why don't you ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was listening carefully to Mr Adams on Newstalk and it was classic Grizzly, soft voiced felicitations, a dollop of insincerity for the family and then laying down smoke and steely spinning as he linked the dead chap with fuel smuggling in a not so subtle fashion.

Mike.

• Advertisement

News reports since yesterday indicated that it was a row over fuel smuggling so Adams mentioning that did as much harm to his organisation as good there as I'd imagine most people wouldnt be long remembering that paramilitarism and diesel laundering have been associated.

What an awfull way to die :(
    His friends who according to news reports presented at Daisy hill hospital must have been terrified,they waited so long to let the authorities know.

I'd imagine Adams and McGuinness are aware of who did this,when a former SF councillor for the area is publically stating that the IRA were involved.
    I'd also imagine that the Gardaí have a fair idea too.
    I'd also imagine that since this is now a murder investigation,the EGG on SF HQ faces is so stinky that they are and pardon my french probably eating the hole off republicans in the area.

Incidently Adams was very circumspect in his interview on the news at one...saying he had been talking to Conor Murphy who in turn had been speaking to local republicans.

If no one is caught for this and tried and convicted, this is going to be muck thrown at SF for quite some time imho because no matter how hard they try , they cannot believeably extricate themselves from the grass root shady element.
    So really to be in normal politics, they have the ever present unenviable task of policing the activities of the hard men [read - we have the right to continue our pension hoarding/fuel laundering] and keeping their activities as hushed up as possible.

This episode,I think has been a disaster for them as far as that kind of management is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

That's what he would say for public consumption. SF/IRA is not to be believed on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tristrame wrote: »
    News reports since yesterday indicated that it was a row over fuel smuggling so Adams mentioning that did as much harm to his organisation as good there as I'd imagine most people wouldnt be long remembering that paramilitarism and diesel laundering have been associated.

His friends who according to news reports presented at Daisy hill hospital must have been terrified,they waited so long to let the authorities know.

I'd imagine Adams and McGuinness are aware of who did this,when a former SF councillor for the area is publically stating that the IRA were involved.
    I'd also imagine that since this is now a murder investigation,the EGG on SF HQ faces is so stinky that they are and pardon my french probably eating the hole off republicans in the area.

Incidently Adams was very circumspect in his interview on the news at one...saying he had been talking to Conor Murphy who in turn had been speaking to local republicans.

If no one is caught for this and tried and convicted, this is going to be muck thrown at SF for quite some time imho because no matter how hard they try , they cannot believeably extricate themselves from the grass root shady element.
    So really to be in normal politics, they have the ever present unenviable task of policing the activities of the hard men [read - we have the right to continue our pension hoarding/fuel laundering] and keeping their activities as hushed up as possible.

This episode,I think has been a disaster for them as far as that kind of management is concerned.
    Good post.

Mick86 wrote: »
    That's what he would say for public consumption. SF/IRA is not to be believed on anything.

In that case there is not much point in discussing it with you as irrespective of what they say or do you have made up your mind you will not believe them.

For years people called on them to support the PSNI and the Gardai and now when they do the response is you don't believe them

Whats the point they don't do something you criticise them they do it and you still criticise them and say you do not believe them.

IMO I would imagine that apart from the family and friends of the murdered man and his injured friends the people most annoyed at this is Adams and Co

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it is a case of old habits die hard. Whether it can be pointed at republicans of whatever hue remains to be seen. but what is clear is that whoever did it used the type of modus operandi associated with that type of savagery. I would have thought that it is in SF's interest to get to the bottom of it.
    Conor Murphy is the worst person to trot out after something like this as he gets needled very easily and start blaming the messenger as he almost did
    on Morning Ireland today. My heart goes out to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Voip,
    Come on now, in any walk of life you take the word of someone whom you know to be credible. I'm not aware of a single history of recent violence which does not say that Gerry Adams was in command of the Belfast IRA, while GA himself denies he was ever a member of the IRA.

Tristrame wrote: »

I agree just on a side note it should probably be noted that Jim McAllister was an election agent for Davy Hyland the former shinner who left over the policing issue.
    So embarrassing his now political opponents in the Shinners would be high on his agenda I would imagine.

Not saying that what he said is wrong but if people are willing to reject out of hand what Adams says they should perhaps be more even handed and not accept verbatim everything someone who left SF over decommisioning and policing nows says about his former comrades

Voip,
    Come on now, in any walk of life you take the word of someone whom you know to be credible. I'm not aware of a single history of recent violence which does not say that Gerry Adams was in command of the Belfast IRA, while GA himself denies he was ever a member of the IRA.

Fair point we all know that Adams in common with alot of people lies about his involvement in the "troubles" but if we are to dismiss everything he says based on that then why are the same people so eager to accept the word of Jim Mcallister without any look as to possible motive.

It seems to me that if people are to dismiss Adams then they should equally dismiss McAllister to do otherwise is to only accept what supports your viewpoint irrespective of the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

...while GA himself denies he was ever a member of the IRA.

Which makes it difficult to believe anything that comes out of his mouth when he continues to trot out a lie as laughable as that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Note to everybody: there's a rule in this forum about calling people liars. Take note.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Mods, maybe this thread should be locked.

In fairness a young lad was brutaly beaten at the weekend, his family haven't even buried him yet.

Yet this thread already looks like its going to spiral into a game of one-upmanship, acusations and counter acusations based on speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

In that case there is not much point in discussing it with you as irrespective of what they say or do you have made up your mind you will not believe them.

There is nothing to discuss. The IRA hasn't gone away and SF is still the political wing of a bunch of murdering animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Mods, maybe this thread should be locked.

In fairness a young lad was brutaly beaten at the weekend, his family haven't even buried him yet.

Yet this thread already looks like its going to spiral into a game of one-upmanship, acusations and counter acusations based on speculation.

Translated imho you would prefer if it wasn't highlighted that "they haven't gone away".

I think it is important and it needs to be discussed. If anyone from Paul Quinn's family are reading this my sympathies and thoughts are with you at the moment and I am sure I talk for the vast majority here when I say I hope the people who carried out this brutal attack face the full force of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

If anyone from Paul Quinn's family are reading this my sympathies and thoughts are with you at the moment and I am sure I talk for the vast majority here when I say I hope the people who carried out this brutal attack face the full force of the law.

Gandalf, I agree with the above of course, as does I'm sure everyone else.

However, using somebody's brutal death to furthur one's own motives is wrong, (and I'm not talking about you here).

I am sure I talk for the vast majority here when I say I hope the people who carried out this brutal attack face the full force of the law.

Absolutely the sooner the better no matter who or what organisation they belong or previously belonged to people who could do that need to be locked up for the safety of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Voip,
    It makes no sense to say that someone should be believed because another person is not credible.

If McA, the ex Provo, is not credible, that is a separate argument. No, I'm afraid having a motive to lie is not the same as lying.

Voip,
    It makes no sense to say that someone should be believed because another person is not credible.

If McA, the ex Provo, is not credible, that is a separate argument. No, I'm afraid having a motive to lie is not the same as lying.

I never said he was lying merely making the point that it is not credible to dismiss what Adams says on the basis that he is a provo ( who btw has accepted the PSNI and the disarming of the IRA) but readily accept what McAllister says( who has not accepted the PSNI and did not support disarming the IRA) purely on the basis that it supports a thesis that the provos did it.

If the words of Adams can be dismissed out of hand then it is illogical to readily accept the word of McAllister as the full and unadulterated truth.

And I am not saying just to clarify that either of them are lying they are probably both right it was the provos or ex provos and it is a completely criminal act and anyone with information should contact the Police or Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having been quite vocal about my lack of time for the IRA and Sinn Fein in the past, I can't actually believe that this was in any way a sanctioned or politically motivated crime.

Let's face it, the kind of people who are active in a terrorist organisation are going to be the sort of people who behave in this fashion in any of their dealings. They're thugs. Simple as that. To try and make this a political issue when Adams has called on anyone with info to go to the PNSI isn't going to help anyone, least of all the family of the deceased.

This doesn't seem to be a case of the IRA doling out vigilante 'justice' to a drug dealer, settling a score with an informer or a member of the unionist paras etc. It seems to me at least to most likely be a member or former member of the IRA acting on his own accord and in his own interests. Hopefully the PNSI will find the thug and the judge will throw the book at him. It's not something that should be allowed to derail the peace process.

Wow, never thought I'd be the one defending SF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

exactly sleepy, rumour is that its to with diesel smuggling, I don't understand why everyone is making a bigger deal about the the people being in the IRA then the fact that the killed somebody.

the parents seemd a bit , my sons a saint type

im sure the IRA men don't have to get army council sanction to take a ****.

• Advertisement

However, using somebody's brutal death to furthur one's own motives is wrong, (and I'm not talking about you here).
    Who are you talking about?
    Not the DUP surely? They've welcomed the utter condemnation of this by SF.

As I alluded to earlier and touched on by others here,I'd imagine SF are pretty píssed off by what these people have done whether they be former IRA or whatever.
    SF/Republicanism doesn't want to be associated with this type of thing anymore.
    Unfortunately but rightly for the perpetrators,they are going to find hopefully that they will have to pay for their actions with a significant term behind bars.
    Selective amnesia as to the new dispensation and what they can no longer get away with up north just wont wash anymore even amongst their senior handlers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement