Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So you've replaced Stan as Ireland manager...

• 22-10-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

...who would be in your squad and starting XI? (assuming no injuries)

Squad of 23
    GK: Nicky Colgan, Shay Given, Wayne Henderson
    DF: Stephen Carr, Richard Dunne, Steve Finnan, Stephen Kelly, Paul McShane, Joey O'Brien, John O'Shea
    MD: Lee Carsley, Damien Duff, Stephen Hunt, Stephen Ireland, Kevin Kilbane, Aiden McGeady, Liam Miller, Andy Reid
    FW: Kevin Doyle, Robbie Keane, Alan Lee, Shane Long, Anthony Stokes

Starting XI
    Given - Finnan, Dunne, McShane, Kelly - Ireland, Hunt, Kilbane, Duff - Doyle, Keane\Long

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

assuming no injuries? where the fup is Stephen Reid then ya dongle??? and how can you justify 3 left wingers in the starting 11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd have Weso Houlihan in the squad straight away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Starting XI
    Given - Finnan, Dunne, McShane, Kelly - Ireland, Hunt, Kilbane, Duff - Doyle, Keane\Long

You aslo have 12 players starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'd have Weso Houlihan in the squad straight away.

Who?

DesF wrote: »
    Who?

Bit of a no namer really. Doubt many would have heard of him of bothered to see him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-McShane-O'Shea
    -Hunt--Reid--Ireland
    Duff
    Doyle-Keane

PHB wrote: »

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-McShane-O'Shea
    -Hunt--Reid--Ireland
    Duff
    Doyle-Keane
    Andy?

What about Stephen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Given

Finnan
    Dunne
    McShane
    Kelly--

S Reid
    A Reid

Ireland
    Keane
    Duff

Doyle

Subs:
    Doyle
    J O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Miller
    Hunt
    Long
    McGeady

In the long term, our priority should be to find a strong Central Midfield partnership, So I feel players like O'Brien, Gibson, Miller, S Reid and (dare I say) John O'Shea should all be given opportunities there under a decent manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Green Giant = Steve Staunton online? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sack Stan, and pick identical squad/XI as he has. ??

Given
    Finnan-Dunne-McShane-Kelly
    JOS
    S.Reid
    A.Reid
    Hunt
    Long----Doyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyone hear how Stephen Reid is doing recently? He was our best centre-mid before getting the injury.

joker77 wrote: »
    Anyone hear how Stephen Reid is doing recently? He was our best centre-mid before getting the injury.

I think he's playing for their reserves tonight. Hopefully he takes things slow and gets back to full fitness. I've no doubt he'll walk into our midfield if fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Given

Finnan Dunne(C) McShane Kilbane

Duff A Reid S Reid Hunt

Keane

Doyle

Manager: Paul Jewell

This is my team for the World cup 2010 Qualifiers

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Given

Duff A Reid S Reid Hunt

Keane

Doyle

I agree that replacing Keane as captain is crucial. Dunne is the obvious choice, Given as vice-captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Given

Duff A Reid S Reid Hunt

Keane

Doyle

I agree that replacing Keane as captain is crucial. Dunne is the obvious choice, Given as vice-captain.

Dunne as captain, would be my first move as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

GK , Given , Henderson , Doyle

Def
    Dunne , O'Brien A , McShane , O'Shea , Harte , Finnan , Carr

Mid
    Duff , A Reid , S Reid , Carsley , Ireland , Miller , Kilbane , McGeady

Strikers
    Keane , Doyle , Long , Morrison , Keogh

Team
    Given
    Finnan McShane Dunne O'Shea

Reid Reid

Doyle Ireland Duff
    Keane

Andy?

What about Stephen?

Steven, drop Andy :)

Given

Finnan - Dunne - McShane - Kilbane

S. Reid
    A.Reid

Ireland

Duff
    Hunt

Doyler

that's what i want to see in the long term. Keane dropped initially anyway, if i were to bring him back in it would be for Hunt, generally give him license to roam/swap with duffers... iirc one of Doyle's best performances in a green shirt came when he was up front on his own. him and Keane together up top will never be a viable partnership anyway, they don't really link up, just happen to appear in the same general area. Ireland spearheading the midfield and generally told to get into the box as much as possible, he looks best at getting on the end of things for me, so have two behind him to give him more freedom to do this.

Edit: didn't notice how similar Gustavo's is to mine until i posted it. Keane shouldn't be the one up top though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

kearnsr wrote: »
    You aslo have 12 players starting

Keane\Long means Keane OR Long

And I shall add Stephen Reid to the squad, with the removal (which I'm sure will be criticised) of Alan Lee

And I shall add Stephen Reid to the squad, with the removal (which I'm sure will be criticised) of Alan Lee

Why would that be criticised? Lee's sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Shay Given(C)

Steve Finnan Richard Dunne Paul McShane John O'Shea

Damien Duff Steven Reid Andy Reid Stephen Hunt

Kevin Doyle Robbie Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Given
    Finnan--Dunne--McShane--Kilbane
    Garvan

Reid
    Reid
    ---Keane
    Duff---
    Doyle

Pretty much the same system I've wanted for ages.

Kilbane in there because he's playing left back for Wigan and we don't have much of a choice.

Garvan is only 19 but has been a first teamer at Ipswich since he was 17 (bar his long term injury). Arguably Ipswich's best player and a player that'll definitely be a regular for Ireland in the future. Why not now?

Keane I feel is much better playing from deep. If we got a manager in that focused on passing it would be great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

seems most people would pick atleast 2 LW (hunt and duff), do we not have a RW cant S.Reid play there.

Given
    Finnan--McShane--Dunne(c)--O'Shea

S.Reid---Ireland----A.Reid---Duff

Doyle----Keane

subs: Long, McGeady, Hunt, O'Brien, Henderson

Surely Ireland's natural position would be RW, I just prefer him in teh center. I like the system that eirebhoy has, although if we're gona through youth in for the hell of it, Gibson looks a much better prospect.

Surely Ireland's natural position would be RW
    He said he didn't like playing RW, I think it was after the Wales game in CP.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Garvan is only 19 but has been a first teamer at Ipswich since he was 17 (bar his long term injury). Arguably Ipswich's best player and a player that'll definitely be a regular for Ireland in the future. Why not now?

Spot on there eirebhoy. The lad's quality. Seen him play a fair few games and every time he looks impressive.

What about his team mate Shane Supple for nets? He's won the FA Youth Cup and played in 36 first team games. Colgan needs to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whoever plays, Dunne should be the new captain. Robbie is a good player (well, sometimes, mainly for Spurs tbh) but he is not a captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think Green Giant is about the only person i'd have Stan managing Ireland ahead of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

loyatemu wrote: »
    whoever plays, Dunne should be the new captain. Robbie is a good player (well, sometimes, mainly for Spurs tbh) but he is not a captain.

I agree and maybe taking he captains armband away i.e ( extra duties and responsibilities on/off the pitch) may help him find some form for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Surely Ireland's natural position would be RW, I just prefer him in teh center. I like the system that eirebhoy has, although if we're gona through youth in for the hell of it, Gibson looks a much better prospect.

I'd like Gibson to do a McShane and get out of United though. Doubt he'll see much action there. Though i've no doubt he's better than Carrick.

Another problem position could be left back. Kelly is not a natural there, O'Shea is dodgy everywhere and off the top my head I can think of nobody else bar Harte who plays there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    I agree and maybe taking he captains armband away i.e ( extra duties and responsibilities on/off the pitch) may help him find some form for Ireland.

Agree. Would be easy to spin it as relief rather then punishment as well. Say we'll let Robbie just do what he does best, no need for him to be running back having words with people. Leave the dirty work to Dunne.

Ill go with

Given
    Finnan--Dunne--McShane--Kilbane
    Reid--Reid
    -Ireland
    Keane
    Hunt
    Doyle

Duff would be straight in for Hunt if he reclaimed some sort of form on his theoretical return from injury, and we do actually have competition for places in that position. S.Reid comes straight in as he's probably our best midfielder.
    Keane id like playing deep enough that he's able to be facing goal when he receives the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Given

Finnan-- Dunne--mcshane-- O'shea

Hunt-- A.reid -- Ireland -- Duff

Doyle -- Behan

Roar wrote: »
    Given

Finnan-- Dunne--mcshane-- O'shea

Hunt-- A.reid -- Ireland -- Duff

Doyle -- Behan

LOL good one. As much as i dislike Robbie Keane I wouldn't insult him (or Shane Long for that matter) by picking Behan instead. I'll put it down to Cork blinkers.

I'll put it down to Cork blinkers.
    I put it down to romantic infatuation tbh.

I put it down to romantic infatuation tbh.

Ah well I can relate to that. Imagine Xavi had an Irish passport....mmmmm

• Advertisement

Ah well I can relate to that. Imagine Xavi had an Irish passport....mmmmm
    :eek:

I don't know what's more disturbing.

This, Roar's lust of Denis behan or JoeSoap's obsession with Gareth Bale last year. Just how close were you two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

at the moment:

Given

Finnan
    Dunne(C)----McShane
    Kilbane
    S.Reid
    Ireland
    A. Reid
    Duff
    Keane--
    Doyle

I think Hunt and Long could easily come in and challenge Ireland (assuming he ever comes back) and Keane for their places (and hope they do).

I wouldn't like to see Carsley disposed of and I think Miller should be back in the squad.

If someone can screw Carr's head back on, he'd be a better solution than Kilbane as a full back (switch Finnan).

From there, I'd take some of the youngsters into the squad but I'd play our best team every game and have none of this crap where players like Miller are only drafted in through injuries but manage to get game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would go with...

Given
    Finnan--Dunne--McShane--O'Shea
    Duff---Ireland--A. Reid----Hunt
    Doyle
    Keane

I wouldn't pick Steven Reid as we don't know yet if he can recapture his previous form. I'd be confident that Duff can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Given

Finnan
    Dunne(C)----McShane
    Kilbane
    S.Reid
    Hunt
    A. Reid
    Duff
    Ireland--
    Doyle

I want Kilbane in the team as I rate him and reckon he can do an effective job.
    If Ireland doesn't do much then I'd try Shane Long up front.
    Robbie Keane needs to be dropped for the next 2-3 games imo.

Why is Paddy Kenny not in the squad and Henderson and Colgan are?
    Kenny has Premiership experience. I know he withdrew from a squad but is he retired? :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

definitely seems RW and LB to be Irelands problem positions with either Mr.Versatile but ****e in green John O'Shea or Zinidine "what a feckin donkey" Kilbane being picked by most at LB and central midfielders (Ireland) or left wingers (Duff/Hunt) being picked at RW.

• Advertisement

I think Irelands getting his mentions on the right (including from me) because he's played well and deserves his place based on his performances, but isn't ready to play center midfield at International level. Better to have 2 proper CM's with Ireland on the right/freeish role to create things.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think Irelands getting his mentions on the right (including from me) because he's played well and deserves his place based on his performances, but isn't ready to play center midfield at International level. Better to have 2 proper CM's with Ireland on the right/freeish role to create things.

but when he played on the right he was at his best when drifting into the center according to my memory, he didn't really do the wide man role at all did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Actually, I don't give a flying fnuck what formation any manager plays so long as our best 11 players are on the pitch for most of the games.

but when he played on the right he was at his best when drifting into the center according to my memory, he didn't really do the wide man role at all did he?

That was exactly my point. When there are 2 proper midfielders to do the dirty work, Ireland can move around in a fairly free role, creating things and making a nuisance of himself. You lose him in this respect if you demand that he be one of the 2 in CM doing the hard work. When he was there the game passed him by a fair bit.

Hence why i said, "Better to have 2 proper CM's with Ireland on the right/freeish role to create things."

Think of it as the Gerrard situation. He's a center player, but from an attacking creative sense if you take the responsibility of bossing the midfield off his shoulders you get a different dimension. This is done for Gerrard to accentuate his attacking play, it would be done for Ireland to limit his need for the hard graft, and increase how much time he gets to go into space looking for the ball to start moves off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I can't see why so many people have JOS in their teams
    First of all he doesn't regularly play for his club and even when he does it seems to be in a different position each time
    Aswell I don't know about anyone else but I clearly saw him pull out of at least 2 tackles against Cyprus which makes me think his head was still in Manchester
    He is a good player at times but I would not have him in the Ireland team at the moment IMO

Stephen Reid played last night.

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhmhmhkfql/

Advertisement