Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammond selfish?

Options
  • 22-10-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I was watching Ireland AM this morning and they had an interview with Richard Hammond, who we all know I trust.

Shortly after, they got a comment in from someone saying how selfish Hammond was.

I was astounded, he is in no way being selfish. The comment went something along the lines of how he was selfish because he'd lived through it the first time and been lucky, and that he's selfish because he's still doing mad things and risking his life, etc.

I think it's ridiculous. It's Hammond's choice personally. Yes he was lucky, but quoting from the man himself: "I think I'd have been luckier if the tire hadn't burst to be honest!"

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

why should he give up what he loves....he lives for cars so it wouldnt be a life if he gave them up.
    deffo not selfish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ffs, watching tv3, now that's selfish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

In the late late interview he said he's not doing anything crazy like that again. All the other cars he drives are as safe as any other even safer considering they're on a track with emergency crews standing by. It's allot safer than driving any car on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lunula wrote: »
    I was watching Ireland AM this morning and they had an interview with Richard Hammond, who we all know I trust.

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

definately not selfish -

I'd say it took a bit of soul searching to decide to go back to top gear and keep driving but i do think that he should keep it toned down a bit now

it was a close call and I can understand the arguement that he has 2 children and a wife - he needs to keep them in mind when he's doing these stunts

• Advertisement

I don't.

How do you not know who Richard Hammond is?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Orlee wrote: »
    How do you not know who Richard Hammond is?

I do, I just didn't know she trusted him.

What? It's Monday morning alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lunula

Yes he did mention that he knew his wife would have no trouble with him doing something again but he wouldn't because he said she'd been through enough the first time round and he wouldn't want to put that on his wife and kids.

I do, I just didn't know she trusted him.

What? It's Monday morning alright?

Op didn't say they trusted hammond - was it not that op trusts you know who they are talking about?

~(It's monday morning - I'm think Im looking for a fight! sorry)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Orlee wrote: »
    Op didn't say they trusted hammond - was it not that op trusts you know who they are talking about?

~(It's monday morning - I'm think Im looking for a fight! sorry)

nah, the structure of the sentence implies the OP trusts hammond.

"Who, I trust, we all know", or possibly (not sure) "Who we all know, I trust", would have been more correct.

Sorry.

As for him being selfish. Only pompus, nosey and irritating twats would say that. So, he was in a big crash. He survived it, he has learnt from it, and he and his family have moved on. He is doing something he loves, and getting paid a packet to do it. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

He would be selfish if his wife said to him "I really don't want you to continue driving fast cars because it puts your life at risk and it's unfair to me and your kids' and then he continued to do so, blithely dismissing her concerns.

If he continued taking her concerns into account and acting on them by being less risky then that would not be selfish.

If he continued with her full support, that's not selfish.

I get the impression that he has the full support of his wife. So no, he's not being selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Lunula wrote: »
    Shortly after, they got a comment in from someone saying how selfish Hammond was

Can imagine the type of person that sent in the comment. Some hate filled divorced bint who hates Top Gear and sits at home all day damning the world around her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lunula

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Can imagine the type of person that sent in the comment. Some hate filled divorced bint who hates Top Gear and sits at home all day damning the world around her.

Screaming at people who pass by and eating their children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Or maybe someone who lost their husband in an accident and has to rear her children alone? Just a thought!

I suppose in a way he is being selfish, he has children now, and when that happens, priorities have to shift. I'm sure his wife knows full well what his career is, and it shouldn't change for her alone.

That said, it was one accident, accidents can happen to anyone, any time, so technically, if you have a family by that logic you could be classed as selfish for leaving the house. I could still take either stance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 therhythmbyrne

I met the afore mentioned Hamster on Saturday in Eason's and I've never met a nicer guy. He even signed a Clarkson book i brought along as a joke! He was amazing with the kids there to see him too.

I dunno why someone would call him selfish, he didn't need to chat to me in eason's but he did for a good while.

Also excellent hand shake!!! :D

Hes not selfish for dicing with death, thats just stupid. You can nearly die doing anything.

Example I nearly drowned when I was a kid doesn't mean I learn to swim or avoid swimming pools and the Hamster should race and crash as many cars as he can otherwise hes not living

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    ffs, watching tv3, now that's selfish
    Ha Ha:D

I hate that stupid b!tch who just coughs and is more of backup when someruns out of confo something like "yes" and then looks across:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

No he's not selfish.

Therhythmbyrne hit the nail on the head.

Advertisement