Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro broadband(digiweb) and ethernet router

Options
  • 22-10-2007 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi everybody,
    i am considering the metro broadband offered by digiweb as in the house we will have to share the connection in 3 and it seems the cheapest and fastest.
    first of all i would like to ask wheter this is true or you would reccomend anything else.
    secondly, i noticed that i would have to buy an "ethernet router" which is different from and adsl router. looking on internet i noticed that not always it is very easy to distinguish between the two? any suggestion?
    thank you very much
    love
    Rota

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

if it has an ADSL MODEM it is for ADSL only. Usually 4 ethernet sockets. WiFi optional.
    If it has an ethernet WAN socket and no socket to connect to incoming phone line then it is an ethernet router. Usually a fifth WAN ethernet socket slightly apart from the 4 LAN sockets. WiFi is optional.

Argos calls them "cable routers" though they have no cable modem. In fact an ethernet WAN router will work on ANY system as long as it already has a modem and an ethernet port.

www.komplett.ie and www.dabs.ie do them also.
    Netgear & Linksys are generally OK. Some Zyxel and Dlink models are good too.
    PC World rarely stocks them.

If you look at the specification part, you are looking for ethernet (RJ45 type connection) on WAN connection, not smaller ADSL RJ11 type phone port.

Advertisement