Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse In The House!!

Options
  • 22-10-2007 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

:D Anyone know of a humane way to catch him and put it outside?? Im too slow, and I think, since being locked into my living room for the night that he already has an escape plan!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There are a few threads about this in Gardening/DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

smashey wrote: »
    There are a few threads about this in Gardening/DIY.

on my way, thanks, as I don't know my way around this board yet!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get a humane or live mouse trap, I bought one in Homebase. Put some tasty stuff at the end, the mouse will wander it, the door shuts behind him and then you can release him into the garden/park across the road/whatever.

I hate the idea of killing the little guys as they are only looking for a place to live, but they can't be inside with us.

Last year I had an extremely smart mouse who would raid the humane trap and get away with the food without setting it off. Little bugger. I got him in the end though through patience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

haha, theyre clever arn't they!! Will try and get one of those this aft!! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lunula

dudara wrote: »
    Get a humane or live mouse trap, I bought one in Homebase. Put some tasty stuff at the end, the mouse will wander it, the door shuts behind him and then you can release him into the garden/park across the road/whatever.

I hate the idea of killing the little guys as they are only looking for a place to live, but they can't be inside with us.

Last year I had an extremely smart mouse who would raid the humane trap and get away with the food without setting it off. Little bugger. I got him in the end though through patience

We got one like that aswell only when we went to get the bugger out he'd dehydrated on us and already died.

We set his buddies free out near Lixnaw, sorry lads! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That happened to me once as well. I was away for the weekend and a mouse set off the trap while I was gone. I felt so guilty over it.

I really like mice, and I've kept them as pets in the past. They're too smart for their own good at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Woodies also sell the humane traps. Caught two mice in one a number of years back. The rhind from a rasher makes great bait, apparently they go mad for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

AA Gill wrote about mice in the Sunday Times last weekend...
    We’ve got mice. We’ve got mice on the inside. A mouse on the outside is a friend of David Attenborough, an infinitely miraculous and fascinating link in a complex and breathtaking ecosystem. A mouse on the inside is home herpes. We’ve got a mouse on the inside. ...In the real world, there is no such thing as a mouse. There are only mice. You might notice a mouse going about his busy business on the carpet, but it is only the tip of the miceberg.

And where you find mice, you also find Rentokil. I don’t know which is worse: mouse, or Stanley from Rentokil. “Hi, I’m Stanley from Rentokil,” he said. He said it on the outside. On the inside, he was saying: “Hi, I’m Dirty Harry. Make my day, furry bitch.”

“There is this new solution we have,” Stanley said silkily. “It works with state-of-the-art techno-stuff. You don’t need to worry your pretty little heads. The problem steps inside the box, and a measured dose of gas is administered – silent, efficient, keen. And we take them away.”

I’m sorry. Run that past me again. You’re going to put a dozen Hornby Dublo gas chambers in my house?

“Well, technically, they’re . . .” Technically, they’re Mauschwitz.

There are mouse traps you can get that are humane - they catch them alive in little cages and then you can set them free wherever you want. Just make sure the mouse doesn't die before you set it free, otherwise it's definitely an INhumane way of killing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

In the real world, there is no such thing as a mouse. There are only mice.

Not wanting to worry you but speaking from personal experience I'd have to say this is true - best thing to do is find out where they are coming in and block those holes if you can! If you want to deter them from a specific (small) area those ultrasonic things can do the trick as well - good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

If you want to save some money you can make your own humane trap. I once caught a mouse using an empty bin, with a piece of wood as a ramp going up to it and a sheet of newspaper covering the top. I put some ham and cheese on the paper and when the mouse climbed in he fell down into the bin and was trapped.

It took two goes as he jumped out the first time but then I got him and released him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Where's my Cat?

Mauschwitz.

Oh god that's hilarious.

Advertisement