Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection dies on me after ~ hour

Options
  • 22-10-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭

hi

Any advice or suggestions anyone could offer me on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I've got eircom bb for the last 3 years and i've been having a problem with it for the last 3 weeks. I'm baffled as to whats causing it but basically the connection fails after roughly an hour. The two little PCs icon( the one that used to show when u were online in the dialup days) then shows at the bottom right of the screen saying something like trying to aquire network address or something.

The weird thing is this problem is fixed by simply restarting the pc:confused: which leads me to believe theres something rough at my end here. I'm using latest drivers for network card and there no problem with the quality of the connection when its active( and never has been).

I rang eircom but the weren't all that helpfull and this could go on for a few more weeks before it gets sorted. If anyone can think of anything simple that would be worth trying sort this I'd be very gratefull

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That is something to do with IP address settings for your network card.

have you it set to DHCP or do you have them manually inputted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I'm not too sure what u mean mate. I think it's set to automatically obtain IP address(TCP/IP Proterties place?) . I definitely didn't manually input them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

That is something to do with IP address settings for your network card.

have you it set to DHCP or do you have them manually inputted?
    Yes, eircom's router renews the IP address every hour be default. Just what you want in the middle of a download. Either increase the renew time by changing the router's settings [from expert menu on http://192.168.1.254 unless you changed the router's IP address] or else input details manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

thanks for the info ethernet. That seems like a possibilty alright.

Any idea why this is happening now and never before? I've never tinkered with the routers settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

thanks for the info ethernet. That seems like a possibilty alright.

Any idea why this is happening now and never before? I've never tinkered with the routers settings.
    Sometimes you may not even notice it if it renews very quickly or if you're not downloading anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement