Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2lt diesel car under 10k, which is best?

Options
  • 22-10-2007 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Friend of mine is looking for a diesel car under 10k.
    He does about 17k miles/year, he is 6ft1 tall so leg room is a must.
    Also reliability,comfort,econmy and a bit of power for overtaking,resale value not important as he will keep it a few years.
    So which is best?
    1 peugoet 406 hdi 03
    2 vw passat tdi 01
    3 avensis d4d 02
    4 c5 hdi 03
    5 seat toledo tdi 03
    6 octavia tdi 03
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

macpete wrote: »
    Friend of mine is looking for a diesel car under 10k.
    He does about 17k miles/year, he is 6ft1 tall so leg room is a must.
    Also reliability,comfort,econmy and a bit of power for overtaking,resale value not important as he will keep it a few years.
    So which is best?
    1 peugoet 406 hdi 03
    2 vw passat tdi 01
    3 avensis d4d 02
    4 c5 hdi 03
    5 seat toledo tdi 03
    6 octavia tdi 03
    Any advice appreciated

Haggle or stretch a bit to:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=466304

My opinion:
    1 Not really heard many bad things about these, apart from them being french. Mainly have the 90ps engine which wouldn't be great as it's a big car.

2 Older and probably higher mileage than the others on the list. Not that great to drive and not as reliable as people percieve.

3 Nothing bad to say about Toyota's, but doesn't have massive selling points either.

4 Avoid, Avoid, Avoid. Electric, mechanical and hydraulic issues.

5 & 6 More or less the same vehicle underneath, just different bodies. Would be smaller than the others above if carrying rear seat passengers (although you could build a house in the Octavia's boot, and still have room for the rest of the cars listed above and your weekly shopping :D:D)

If he's just looking to get from A-B for a reasonable amount of Money then the Vectra would probably be cheaper than most above. Mainly because it's not a great car - but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was going to suggest the Mondeo too. That one in R.O.R's post is seriously misleading by the dealer selling it and pricy imo to boot First it describes it as a 2.0 litre TDCi 130bhp Ebony but then says it's petrol. Also looking at the photo it looks like the basic LX model which has the old 2.0 TDDi engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

bazz26 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest the Mondeo too. That one in R.O.R's post is seriously misleading by the dealer selling it and pricy imo to boot First it describes it as a 2.0 litre TDCi 130bhp Ebony but then says it's petrol. Also looking at the photo it looks like the basic LX model which has the old 2.0 TDDi engine.

Hmmm..... Maybe I should have looked a bit closer. It doesn't have colour coded trims so it must be the LX, but with a decent set of Alloys.
    Go for the Zetec listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

thanks for the replys lads.but i was told the driver seat in the mondeo is uncomfortable for a tall or small person.And is there much difference in the TDDI and TDCI engines regards power and fuel econmy?

• Advertisement

macpete wrote: »
    thanks for the replys lads.but i was told the driver seat in the mondeo is uncomfortable for a tall or small person.And is there much difference in the TDDI and TDCI engines regards power and fuel econmy?

Can't comment on how comfortable the driver's seat is for tall / small drivers, being of distinctly average height myself.

Try to avoid the 90ps version in the Mondeo. The Zetec 115ps came in both TDDi and TDCi versions - from memory there was no difference in stated fuel economy. The 130ps version was only a TDCi and it wasn't until 2004 ish that they changed the 90ps engine from TDDi to TDCi.

Advertisement