Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle or Motorbike

• 22-10-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey all,

Im thinking of throwing together on of these bicycles with motors. (http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Gallery_photos.htm) Just wondering if you think it would be classed as a motorbike requiring insurance and tax or I could get away with using the motor sometimes and pedaling (very fast lol) to class it as a bicycle? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If it's a bicycle with a motor, it's a motorcycle. Even a 1000cc sports bike is still classed as a 'Cycle' for tax purposes! You'll need tax and insurance for that I'm afraid.

Some countries (Germany for one) allow very small mopeds 'mofas' to go untaxed and uninsured but require registration. They are also exempt from TuV and emissions testing and so on.

Not here though. I know a lad who was told to present tax and insurance for something similar even though he was PUSHING it in a public place at the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

eletric ASSISTED bikes arent motorcycles. electric propelled ones however Are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Shango wrote: »
    Hey all,

Im thinking of throwing together on of these bicycles with motors. (http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Gallery_photos.htm) Just wondering if you think it would be classed as a motorbike requiring insurance and tax or I could get away with using the motor sometimes and pedaling (very fast lol) to class it as a bicycle? Thanks.
    If it has an internal combustion engine it needs to be registered, taxed and insured in Ireland. You will need to get a roadworthy certificate from an engineer if its "home made" or modified (Certain garages are licenced). The standard brakes on a push bike may not be sufficient to stop a motorised version, also forks and frame may not be strong enough.

Looking at the photos I doubt if any of these would pass on safety grounds, ie exposed chains and no front brakes. Many of these Chinese manufactured choppers should not even be allowed on the road even as pushbikes because they do away with the front brakes for aesthetics, ie the "easy rider" look!.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Thanks or the feedback guys looks like ya saved me alot of time, money and possibly fines!

I was gonna go for an old steel hybrid bike design throw disc brakes on and throw it all together. Seems a bit pointless now if Ill need tax and insurance and the like, guess the tdr 125 will have to do! The bicycle would most likely be classed as a moped and Id love to hear what Aon would have to say when I rang them up for a quote, make and model? emmm 'BI Cycle 80 cc'. lol!

Dam americans and their cheap fun, why?!

Cheers again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Shango wrote: »
    Thanks or the feedback guys looks like ya saved me alot of time, money and possibly fines!

I was gonna go for an old steel hybrid bike design throw disc brakes on and throw it all together. Seems a bit pointless now if Ill need tax and insurance and the like, guess the tdr 125 will have to do! The bicycle would most likely be classed as a moped and Id love to hear what Aon would have to say when I rang them up for a quote, make and model? emmm 'BI Cycle 80 cc'. lol!

Dam americans and their cheap fun, why?!

Cheers again.
    Many housing estates in Dublin and Limerick city are plagued by kids riding on these hybred bikes and quads fitted with lawnmore engines, I doubt if any of these are covered!.

• Advertisement
Advertisement