Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Live line' caller murdered last night..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Oh and another thing ...

...sympathy for the family of the dead criminal.

Yes, I do have sympathy for their loss and I don't want to gloat or rub it in in any way, but in my opinion they have 'lost' this family menber a long time ago at the point in time when they as a family failed to prevent him from becoming a criminal.

You don't become a criminal from one day to the other, you're not born a criminal either, it's a long, steady slope down. A functioning family should be able to prevent one of their own from sliding too far down that slope.

So, harsh as that may sound, my sympathy for them is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I am fairly happy for scum bags like Daly to continue wiping eachother out. One less toe rag on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

peasant wrote: »
    Oh and another thing ...

Yes, I do have sympathy for their loss and I don't want to gloat or rub it in in any way, but in my opinion they have 'lost' this family menber a long time ago at the point in time when they as a family failed to prevent him from becoming a criminal.

You don't become a criminal from one day to the other, you're not born a criminal either, it's a long, steady slope down. A functioning family should be able to prevent one of their own from sliding too far down that slope.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

How ****in disrespectful....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mordeth, as I cannot infract a fellow mod, you should consider this a warning.

Nobody will mourn the loss of scumbags in 60 years time.
    There is no correlation between Jewish people and scumbags in this instance and you were clearly trying to get a dig in at Mairt.

Mairt, one account is enough, thanks.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    How ****in disrespectful....:eek:

Who? or what? is disrespectful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What I read is that Mordeth was drawing an analogy between Mairt gloating at this murder (of a scumbag yes, but still a murder) and a person of Nazi leanings gloating at the murder of a Jew 60 years ago. The fact that Mairt's partner is Jewish just drove it that bit further home. I really don't see how that's an attack on her religion.

It's not really comparing like with like though. Jews were murdered by Nazis for what they were. This guy was murdered for what he did.

Initially I thought "Yay! One less scumbag" (yes, even PC old me!) but r3nu4l's point about his relative was quite poignant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Oh and another thing ...

Totally agree with this, best post of the thread so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Dudess wrote: »
    What I read is that Mordeth was drawing an analogy between Mairt gloating at this murder (of a scumbag yes, but still a murder) and a person of Nazi leanings gloating at the murder of a Jew 60 years ago. The fact that Mairt's partner is Jewish just drove it that bit further home. I really don't see how that's an attack on her religion.

It's not really comparing like with like though. Jews were murdered by Nazis for what they were. This guy was murdered for what he did.

Initially I thought "Yay! One less scumbag" (yes, even PC old me!) but r3nu4l's point about his relative was quite poignant.

+1 I thought the same too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Let's not forget the innocent victim of this crime, the taxi driver. Apparently Daly slumped over the driver when shot and the gunman continued to pump shot into his his body.

This poor man, a father of three, will probably never drive a taxi again and is severely traumatised according to reports. He was very lucky not to suffer the same fate as Anthony Campbell.

So maybe before rejoicing in the violent murder of a gang member we should spare a thought for the innocent victims .

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's apparently in a terrible way. His cousin was on the news describing the state he's in. Poor man. But yes, it could have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Dudess wrote: »

Very well put together post.

While I have no sympathy for the person who was shot, I felt that the OP's post was insensitive to the deceased persons family, of whom I doubt he has any knowledge of (nor do I claim to have any, btw). The fact remains that this person was someones child or sibling - its very easy to speculate and assume things about this persons background - he's a loss to them, and they have a right to grieve with some dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dub_girl_101

Who? or what? is disrespectful?

That comment by Mairt..the very first one

"HAHAHA.
    Another cocksucker gets it in the head" ....jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

6th wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he was shot.

???
    Yes I know.
    It's an expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wont cry over the death of another scumbag,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Let's not forget the innocent victim of this crime, the taxi driver.

I dunno if I could ever call a taxi driver innocent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

MooseJam wrote: »

That's beneath contempt

Ah, After Hours gets like that.

Thank you for logging in, BossArky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

While scumbags killing each other off may seem like a nice, tidy 'solution' to the problem, it isn't.

Like it was said on the last word (which I sort of semi-overhaerd while driving home) these scumbags rule through fear.

The main reason why they're still out there, is because there is not enough evidence (hard solid evidence, not hearsay) to convict them.

One of the reasons why there isn't any evidence is because nobody will testify against them.

And the reason why nobody testifies against them is because everybody is afraid for their lives and those of their families.

Because these criminils have no problems with shooting members of rival gangs who are brutal, ruthless and armed.

How little problems would they have shooting the likes of you and me who are unarmed and helpless/clueless?

So long as we tolerate these gangland murders (or even quietly applaud them), the circle of fear will stay intact and these guys stay untouchable.

Well said Peasant, if only Bertie thought like you:)..thats the root of the problem you described.

You'd want to be on a suicide mission to testify against a gunman in your community these days.

There is a reason why 85%+ of few hundred gangland murders remain unsolved in this country in the last 10 years, peasant just described that reason.

Now its up to the authorities to provide real witness protection and trial by non-jury to put these murderers away.
    When i say murderers, i think of the innocent victims of all this mayhem(plumber, coolock partygoer, car salesman in Walkinstown and they are just the ones who died nevermind the countless traumitised ones like the taxi driver last night etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Mordeth wrote: »
    you give your moral compass an inch, it'll take a mile

once you start accepting ideas like 'who cares if they get killed, they're scum' it's not that slippery a slope to that idea morphing into other less desireable ones.
    On the contrary I find that while the killing of scumbags causes me to lose no sleep whatsoever, if someone was to start randomly killing say, for example, black people innocent of any crime, that would upset me greatly.

So its not a slippery slope, and I'll just point out that the slippery slope argument is one of the most commonly used to cover a persons tracks when they are acting the prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tech77 wrote: »
    ???
    Yes I know.
    It's an expression.

Its After Hours. Maybe turn your humour switch to ON when you enter this forum ;)

It was funny.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lulz...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Let this shooting be a lesson to anyone who phones into Liveline.

Seriously, scumbag shooting scumbag doesn't worry me one bit. Its the likes of the poor taxi driver whom I have sympathy for. If it could all be "contained" with scum ripping each other away from the rest of society it'll be all fine and dandy. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, and IMHO while corruption exists in the high office of the state there will be little done right about it.
    Not to mention the 40" wide screen plamsa telly, budgies, hookers, coke etc!
    How the f**k do ye hold a 40" plasma TV in yer rectum to smuggle in? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Let's not forget the innocent victim of this crime, the taxi driver. Apparently Daly slumped over the driver when shot and the gunman continued to pump shot into his his body.

This poor man, a father of three, will probably never drive a taxi again and is severely traumatised according to reports. He was very lucky not to suffer the same fate as Anthony Campbell.

So maybe before rejoicing in the violent murder of a gang member we should spare a thought for the innocent victims .

Well there were 7 people in the car. The victim, the taxi driver, 2 guys and 3 girls. On the news they said that the guys were very gentlemanly and did a legger, leaving the 3 girls screaming in the taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

lawhec wrote: »
    Let this shooting be a lesson to anyone who phones into Liveline.

Excellent! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Troll you deserve at least a warning if not an outright ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Poccington, less of the unfounded rumours.

Spook_ie, if you think someone is trolling, please report the post.
    Not that one though, because I just see that as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Troll you deserve at least a warning if not an outright ban

lol, a valiant crusade you have embarked on in the name of taxi drivers there spook.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

the unfortunate taxi driver deserves a new life with his family in the carribean and a million dollars to bank with the compliments of the government who have spent 10 years sitting back letting law and order LAPSE

its gone like that old movie fort apache the bronx in this $hitehole country, and fianna fail are still spinning yarns but not getting too bothered about anything only their lies and gaffs

i love this country for where its come from and hate it for where it has arrived

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tell that to the Garda recently shot by some scumbag stealing a car.
    He was in a stolen car, but was up to something a lot worse - possibly a hit!
    ixoy wrote: »
    It was the fact he was able to say anything - he was in jail. He rang into the show from jail on a mobile phone that he had smuggled in. The officers, appalled that the general public finally knew this happened, cracked down and a lot of other fellow pieces of scum had their equally smuggled phones taken off of them.
    They weren't happy...
    They all were in the maximum security wing FFS! How did all that stuff get in without the screws knowledge?!?!
    Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    I am fairly happy for scum bags like Daly to continue wiping eachother out. One less toe rag on the streets.
    But you are happy for his murder to be still out there? For every one killed, there is one just as bad walking away, high on coke with a smoking gun in their hand!
    How the f**k do ye hold a 40" plasma TV in yer rectum to smuggle in? :eek:
    Did you not see the South Park episode Cartman's Silly Hate Crime - he managed top get Disney's Monorail up there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

thats good another major scumbag off the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

On less scum-bag in the world? I fail to see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

On the news they said that the guys were very gentlemanly and did a legger, leaving the 3 girls screaming in the taxi.
    Did they not also have legs on which to run?
    They all were in the maximum security wing FFS! How did all that stuff get in without the screws knowledge?!?!
    Um, obviously they were bribed/intimidated.
    i love this country for where its come from and hate it for where it has arrived
    The murder rate in the 19th century was 4 times higher than the 2007 level. My great-grandfather was stabbed in Ennis (survived) over a hundred years ago, long before Gangland Terror Stalked The Streets Of Ireland.
    if someone was to start randomly killing say, for example, black people innocent of any crime, that would upset me greatly.
    Good to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thread title:
    No longer a "live one"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Mairt wrote: »
    Ya know what. Unlike most people here I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong.

O...M...G :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Did they not also have legs on which to run?

You're missing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Live by the sword etc..
    ???
    Yes I know.
    It's an expression.

Oh, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

what's the difference between what you're saying here, and what somebody might have said about your jewish wife 60 odd years ago?

D'uh!

One less piece of dog s**t on the streets. Hallelujah!

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »

Same as me, Hope to see more high level gang leaders killed.

drdre wrote: »

Only problem is ...the dead ones get replaced :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

On the contrary I find that while the killing of scumbags causes me to lose no sleep whatsoever
    Seriously, scumbag shooting scumbag doesn't worry me one bit.
    thats good another major scumbag off the street.
    orestes wrote: »
    Laslo wrote: »
    One less piece of dog s**t on the streets. Hallelujah!

Well we're headed for a bonanza record year of murders, I hope all ye cheerleaders are happy :rolleyes:
    The Republic's murder rate is on course to reach record levels by the end of the year following a significant increase in domestic and stabbing murders as well as an upsurge in gangland violence in recent weeks, write Conor Lally and Mark Hennessy .

Only problem is ...the dead ones get replaced :D

I know what you mean but if you kill of the MAIN guys then atleast some activity will slow down.Theres always going to be some but if most are gone then it shouldnt be as bad.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Several 'main guys' have been killed in the past and all it did was cause a blip in supply. As for most being gone - nature abhors a vacuum - as there can be some nice earnings (short term) in that business, when one goes another is ready to take their place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

cornbb wrote: »
    Well we're headed for a bonanza record year of murders, I hope all ye cheerleaders are happy :rolleyes:

+1

I know what you mean but if you kill of the MAIN guys then atleast some activity will slow down.Theres always going to be some but if most are gone then it shouldnt be as bad.

Sorry drdre, but that is quite a naive thing to say.

Simply because whoever kills the MAIN guy, then becomes the new MAIN guy and everybody underneath him moves up one step on the ladder, creating new openings which are soon filled.

Only the names and faces change, the criminal structure remains the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Only the names and faces change, the criminal structure remains the same.

Meet the new boss ! Same as the old boss !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

cornbb wrote: »
    I've no problem with a slight blip in the records if the scum cleans itself off the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've no problem with a slight blip in the records if the scum cleans itself off the streets.

A scumbag being murdered on the streets doesn't lead to fewer scumbags. It leads to more scumbags realising they can get away with murder and in turn, more scumbags, more armed robberies, more muggings, beatings, rapes and more revenge murders. Its a cycle. "One less scumbag on the streets" won't help.

Advertisement