Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Live line' caller murdered last night..

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cornbb wrote: »
    While catching these people is the responsibility of the Gardai/government, the attitude of the public is also critical. You won't see the Gardai breaking their backs to prevent future murders if the public are too complacent to kick up a stink about it.
    What do you suggest people do? Have we all got to go to garda stations and complain to ensure they do their job correctly?

In the aftermath of this morning's shooting, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said it was time society stopped tolerating casual violence on the streets.
    I found that a very strange comment. Was there some sort of poll he saw where people said they did tolerate "causual violence"? Is he suggesting people become vigilantes or something? What is the average person on the street supposed to do to show they have stopped tolerating casual violence. Should we go to gangsters funerals and cry- will this keep Bertie happy?

Young scumbags growing up now might think twice about growing up to be a career scumbag. If their dad is killed they might take up a proper trade instead. Potential death is a deterrent, just like prison sentences. Being a scumbag is a risky career choice, their scumbag mothers might steer them on the right track too.

If for some reason taxi drivers started crashing more and dying, I would not be thinking- "great theres a good opening in taxi driving now, all them are being killed- thats the job for me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rubadub wrote: »
    Young scumbags growing up now might think twice about growing up to be a career scumbag. If their dad is killed they might take up a proper trade instead. Potential death is a deterrent, just like prison sentences. Being a scumbag is a risky career choice, their scumbag mothers might steer them on the right track too.

Wow, do you actually believe all that?

(a) Their father being killed is just the motivation they need to commit to an apprenticeship and follow a legitimate career path? Is there any research that shows that: i. having no father figure is a POSITIVE thing in a person's life, or ii. having a criminal father will lessen the likelihood of you following in his footsteps.

(b) If potential death is a deterrent, then why the increase in illegal gun prevalence WITH the increase in organised crime? Surely it would be one or the other. And do you see young black kids in America thinking "oh sh*t, I could get HURT if I do this......" ? No, it is no deterrent. I imagine prison would be a deterrent if they thought that (a) they would get caught, or (b) they thought they'd get more than a suspended sentence.
    If for some reason taxi drivers started crashing more and dying, I would not be thinking- "great theres a good opening in taxi driving now, all them are being killed- thats the job for me"

You choose to be a taxi driver. When you're immersed in poverty from childhood and often have absentee fathers, and no education, crime is a natural phenomenon, and entering into criminality is not a career choice, but rather an almost inevitable path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What do you suggest people do? Have we all got to go to garda stations and complain to ensure they do their job correctly?

If people perceive something as a problem (eg "casual murder" on the streets) then they will put pressure on the government to stop it. Its called democracy.

Potential death is no deterrent to these people. If it were, the feud murders in Limerick or the gangland murders in Dublin would have stopped many years ago.

Edit: Well put DaveMcG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Cornbb, Peasant, DMcG are few of the sane voices here.

Fine, nobody particularly misses these guys but you are not likely to miss athletes foot just cos you get gangrene.

All that's happening is criminals are being replaced with more ruthless thugs trying to outdo each other in terms of violence, thuggery and fear. Its rule of bullys. Do you honestly think that "A service to society" was a consideration when his death warrant was signed. This was no vigilante justice, no wrong put right, this was ultimate revenge for a perceived slight, an annoyance rubbed out, a warning to everyone, anyone who annoys us will die.

As you chuckle at the death of yet another scumbag, think in whose company you are rejoicing. Do you think the thugs who are probably partying at a job well done had the good of any of us in mind. They wouldnt even give you a passing thought if you happened to be in their way.
    Bullets are cheap, life is cheaper.

When drugs came in, ordinary decent criminals and honour among thieves left the stage.

Which society is safer to live in - one where criminals stick to regular crime and murder is a step too far, or the alternative where it cheaper to knock someone off than insuring your car.
    We are entering the world of scarface (the DVD bible for all wannnabe gangstas) where criminals thinking themselves untouchable vie for notoriety, greed, insatiable desire.

OP - your views are odd and at odds with yourself, you happily rejoice/condone the death of a scumbag, without justice, without trial, without law by other criminals, yet you are against the death penalty in any circumstances. How is death sentence of a lowlife carried out by another criminal more acceptable than the execution of a child rapist murderer found guilty in court of law. I am not suggesting either is, but you seem to have yours ordered ar$eways.

I dont think it is specifically poverty leads to crime, that is an insult to the billions below the poverty line who never get involved in crime. But when you are immersed in want and all around you it is demonstrated that the easiest way to instantly fill those desires is crime, then that is a more likely route for the easily persuaded.

As was put very aptly on news today (murders up, violence up, threats up, yipee:rolleyes:)

"You can kill your way in to what you want."

Is that what you were applauding, because that IS what you are applauding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Two years ago my cousin was shot dead in Dublin, 15 minutes after being released from Mountjoy. Yes he was a scumbag, got what he deserved etc. but that didn't make it any easier for me to digest when I heard the news! :mad:

Yea, really (just seen this). Well then we're related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Baron_Kunkel

Mairt wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/finglas.html

HAHAHA.

Another cocksucker gets it in the head.

:D

Whatever you think of people like Daly the trail of devastation left behind by any murder is immense. Mothers, wives, sons, daughters......you have no idea and you speak from ignorance, so perhaps you are not to blame for pithy comments as the above. However reflect that a society accepting of such violence and lack of respect for life is not one which any right minded citizen should strive for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

cornbb wrote: »
    If people perceive something as a problem (eg "casual murder" on the streets) then they will put pressure on the government to stop it. Its called democracy.

Democracy doesn't quite work properly in Ireland though... The majority of people here don't or are incapable of voting based on policy...

you have no idea and you speak from ignorance,.

S C R O L L ^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

as soon as you get unbanned you post in this thread....smrt

Mordeth wrote: »
    as soon as you get unbanned you post in this thread....smrt

I was never banned... ... un-smrt.

• Advertisement

you should have been, using your t-boner account to join in the argument agreeing with yourself was pretty ****ing gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

you should have been, using your t-boner account to join in the argument agreeing with yourself was pretty ****ing gay.

..........and retarded!!!!

i wonder why he's stopped posting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Personally I live in the real world where I accept that there will always be disgusting, violent men out there no matter what. I know guys brought up in good homes, with every opportunity afforded to them and they've ended up being violent criminals. Some people are just born that way and have no excuses. These people will always exist no matter how much society changes.

It's up to us to choose whether we pity and empathise with these people or not. I choose not to. Mainly because most of the scum that I've met over the years are well able to determine right from wrong and still have no problem with causing pain and suffering.

When someone like John Daly is murdered I am one of those people who thinks "Ah good. Another dirt bag off the streets and possibly a few innocent lives saved as a result". Thankfully nobody innocent was killed in the crossfire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Back off ,see other theards for answers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Maybe he went to bed...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

jonconnors wrote: »
    Do you any of you people think that the Media is in any way resposible for the current state of affairs with regard to gangland crime - Paul Reynolds and the likes glorify these people by giving them media space and giving them nicknames etc, and these drugged up lunatics think they are Tony Montana going around shooting people. There is blood on the hands of these journalists too.

Well said, I've thought that for years. Paul Williams thinks up some stupid name, next thing it's in the paper and all these people are clapping themselves on the back thinking they've made it into big time crime because they've got a mention in the paper.

He can't even give them decent nicknames :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Just on a side note,

I used to know a very nice lad who went a bit off the tracks. Started hanging out with some lads who eventually managed to persuade him to start taking drugs with them. He was quite a quiet lad and never really stood up for himself. Anyways eventually he ended up doing stuff with them out of sheer peer pressure and they changed him. He started selling drugs and getting in trouble with the law. Ended up getting stabbed and just surviving, he decided to go abroad after the incident was finished with. Came back completely changed, back to his old self, has gone and done work in Africa for charity, organizes events in a youth club every Friday and has a long term girlfriend and a kid now. It would pain me if the person had succeeded in killing him only for me to come onto boards.ie to see someone like Mairt saying ''hahaha another cocksucker gets it in the gut'' At the end of the day these people are humans you can never tell who are genuinely good people that were led off a good path or those who are just plain nasty people. But even the plain nasty people still can redeem themselves. Ever heard of reformed criminals. It happens, show some ****in humanity everyone deserves a chance to change things just like my friend luckily was. If they don't change then just lock them up till they do, or forever if they decide not to.

But to execute them or to support it is completely barbaric. Who can say that he wouldn't have eventually taken a good path like my friend did. We have the option of imprisonment to allow criminals the chance to change things as a fair society we should entitle them to that, if you don't like it go to somewhere like Saudi Arabia and watch guys get beheaded for as little as stealing [you are saying you support a man who stole being killed]

It would be bad enough if the govt. had killed the man through capital punishment for the reasons listed above but ****in hell to support criminals killing the man without a judge,trial or jury. Without the proper procedures [every man entitled to his last meal, family visting etc.], with innocent victims caught up in the fray, with the killers doing so out of pure gain, etc. I could go on is just horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

T-Boner wrote: »
    Evading a ban by attacking a member through his wife/partner is pretty cowardly IMO.
    Terry wrote: »

Mairt, one account is enough, thanks.

Funny stuff!

Funny stuff!

Yea its fvcking hilarious.

T know's I work in a large IT department, there's probably a dozen or more user name's sharing the same IP address I do on this board.

Anyway, I'm not interested in defending someone else's ban. I couldn't give a fvck right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Mairt wrote: »
    T know's I work in a large IT department, there's probably a dozen or more user name's sharing the same IP address I do on this board.

Aren't you in the army?

Orange69 wrote: »
    Aren't you in the army?

Yup. We use computers!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

IT, army ... and T-boner claimed to be a taxi driver afaik - LMAO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ouch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stfu.

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Mordeth, i'm hoping your gonna have half an ounce of tack and leave the Mairt hate campaign alone until after the weekend.

Cheers.

Yeah Mordeth, put a sock in it. Gloating isn't very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah Mordeth, put a sock in it. Gloating isn't very nice.

Sorry, but what exactly was your 'ouch' comment meant to mean?!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That was more of a sympathetic "ouch" than a gloating one. I'm hardly being as mean-spirited as Mordeth. But fair play to you for picking holes - you're certainly one of the people I'd expect to do so.

Lol, now now Dudess i was hardly picking holes, i was genuinely interested i just didn'y originally read that ouch as sympathetic. Friends?!;)

Now I've got that uncomfortable feeling you get when someone who isn't usually nice starts being nice unexpectedly...

Not usually nice?? Ouch;)

Ahhhh! Now I'm really freaked!

muhahaha so my evil masterplan has worked::)

• Advertisement

Now guilt. I'm sorry. You ARE nice. :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

That was a general STFU.

Now do it, or the puppy gets it.

Advertisement