Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL in Lucan very slow since 17th

Options
  • 22-10-2007 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

NTL in Lucan very slow on my 6Meg line since 17th --- ish.... All traffic slow, not only Torrents....Upload speed normal... Download speed back to 56K modem/ISDN speeds :0( ...........
    I use Mercury service (www.fileshack.com) for game Demo's dowloads etc and normal download speeds of +700kbs ..Always Rock solid...
    With slow downloads and normal upload speed sounds to me like line contention but cos it all happened after one day it doesnt make much sense....?
    Internet was non-usable last night as it was so slow..
    Called NTL today and message on phone reported upgrade works yesterday ....21st and to reboot you modem and system today.....
    Spoke with girl in NTL as she reports no upgrade works in Lucan in last few days.
    Will check later when i get home if any better........
    Anyone having NTL problems in Lucan or surrond areas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

My broadband was working fine up till yesterday afternoon. They were doing some work on "upgrading" last night which effected service for a short time but mine is still down as of now!

I'm sick of ringing up support and being told that no problem has been reported and that they will send out an engineer. I've never had an engineer call out as the broadband always seems to magical fix itself over night!

They told me to determine if there is a fault in an area they wait to they get enough calls from users in that area. I don’t understand why they don’t check for users in the same area (NTL cell) as me who have broadband and check to see if they can access there modems if they can then its most likely a problem at my house if not, find the source of the problem and fix it!!!

I'm thinking of changing now, can anyone recomend a ISP in Lucan that doesn't require a landline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

I agree, NTL should know when there network is not working as were all registered on there network using there cable modem MAC address......... I checked if Magnet's 8Meg service was available and its not :0(.... 3Meg only on the Lucan BALLYDOWD exchange ..
    SMART have a 7Meg service but unsure if available on the Lucan

Yeah, unfortunatly for me I don't have a landline.

checked speeds now and faster ok but still below normal.....downloading at 600kbs and settles after about 30second at 350kbs ..... :o(

I rang them again today after I got back from work as it was still down. They told me they did a check and there's a problem with my modem and had arranged for an engineer to come out and replace it tomorrow afternoon.

As if by magic my modem has magically fixed itself yet again!!! Or do NTL now employ the tooth fairy?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

AntiVirus wrote: »

As if by magic my modem has magically fixed itself yet again!!! Or do NTL now employ the tooth fairy?

Don't ask stupid questions !!..........its house elves , not the tooth fairy:D!

The speed slowed down even more -250kbs ......not good...........Although better than it was last week its still crap compared to normal...
    Thats one thing ive noticed with NTL.. It eventually fixes by itself...Hopefully this one will be the same

Come to think of it i was also on the Trial/Demo 10meg NTL connection for a while back earlier this year/last year..Only lasted a few months but 1.1mbs downloads. :o)
    Then they put me back to 6meg and never heard anything else about it..Back then i was speaking with a guy in NTL and he was saying they were looking to upgrade everyone on the max package to 10meg connections.
    Anyone hear anything about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

LOL nothing man, that was when we were still using the same stuff as the english. I dont think they were trialling us specifically, I think it just happened and to explain it they said they were trialling it over here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I used to use NTL in Cambridge. We had great speeds on our cable for the first few months but eventually the speeds slowed and one morning I couldn't connect at all.

NTL sent out an engineer after conducting tests over the phone with me. The engineer arrived and checked out the cable mode, no joy. He then went outside the arpartment block and set about working on the exchange block. He came back and told us that there had recently been new additions to our cable cluster in the area and as a result the engineer that had set up those houses and apartments had downgraded our connection to give the new users priority.

Our engineer then modulated (downgraded) other peoples settings to increase our priority but told us that as soon as another engineer came out to correct someone elses problem, it was likely that our service would be downgraded again. :(

He told us that NTL needed to add a new cluster to our apartment building as there was too much traffic for the cable and that I should phone and complain about it because he was sick of getting call outs to increase and decrease individual priority settings. Perhaps this is your problem?

• Advertisement

Im now down to 15kbs ....This is just getting slower and slower.. called NTL and voice message reports service problems in Dublin as of 5pm today and there working on it.............:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

Really unreliable service the last week or so too. Crawling yestereday evening and then completely gone by around 12 last night and still down this morning (sync light flashing, no ready light).

same here ..... slowed to a halt and no sync last night 23rd and this morning still no sync....:mad:

If this is all over Lucan then it's not likely to be related to the same problem I had so. Mine was a very localised problem with one cluster.

Mines been working fine since the tooth fairy came and fixed the broken modem

Dam those tooth fairys.... they must have stolen parts from my modem when i was asleep to fix yours. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

im in Lucan too and its slowest ever today.
    Is anyone in Lucan noticing white lines on their digital chanels, maybe a problem with cable affecting broadband and digital tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I've full unfettered 6mb as always. I was thinking of downgrading until I discovered megaupload.

I've full unfettered 6mb as always. I was thinking of downgrading until I discovered megaupload.

Are you with NTL?

Im still down today :mad: no sync on modem
    NTL tech where to call me yesterday but didnt !!!!! .... what a surprise !!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

footfall wrote: »
    checked speeds now and faster ok but still below normal.....downloading at 600kbs and settles after about 30second at 350kbs ..... :o(

That's well within contention my friend!

Dont think its Contention as that above speed only lasted an hour or so before dropping to <250kbs and then <15kbs to dead..no sync.
    I called NTL again today and they advised upgrade/repair works completed and to restart modem which i cant do as im in work.
    I left the modem plugged in today before leaving the house but NTL are saying they cant see it on the network, which means it hasnt sync'ed...there saying it wont sync now and needs to be rebooted so they can check the status when it tries to join the NTL network...
    Will try when i get home today

Thats exactly what they said to me!

A reboot has never fixed an NTL problem for me, it always and I mean always connects itself when NTL have fixed the problem on there end.

The NTL Saga continues..... Well i got home form work and rebooting the modem yesterday...... No sync.... :mad:
    I called NTL again because the Tech i was speaking with earlier in the day said tech "DOES" work after 5.30pm even though the customer rep you speak with first says they dont.
    So after 15 minutes of hold music i get onto the customer rep, who tells me there are no techs after 5.30pm.....:eek:
    So i tell her what i was told earlier and she says "oh, ahh" please hold and i'll see if there is anyone there.......Then no sorry it will have to be a callback tomorrow(today)..I ask what time......she says before 5.30pm.....I say but im in work like most people in the country...she asks what time will you be home at......6.30pm i reply..........she says ok i will advise them only after 6.30pm for callback.....I say well can they not call me now (yesterday)........she says no !!..
    So i go to the Pub to watch the footy and get home at 10.25pm to see a missed call light flashing on the landline phone ...... NTL called me at 9.44pm and i wasnt there....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!....

Anyone had any luck here? It came back for me sometime Friday, was starting to slow down again Saturday, but was gone again Sunday and Monday. Had a quick look before i left this morning, getting an IP address again but really slow browsing, failing more often than not. If i can manage to grab a torrent file though they work without a hitch.

Still ongoing problems....called NTL friday and Engineer to arrive 1st Nov.... start working Saturday by its self but died again Sunday and still down now......At least i got to download Crysis demo on Saturday before it died again..

working again but slow.... <100kbs

NTL engineer attended yesterday....BB was back up and running before he arrived.
    I had a chat with him and outside cable failure...the whole road was down.. They replaced the cable and now back to my normal +700kbs downloads speeds ... :D

BB dead again .......went down Thur/Fri 9th... I called NTL and message reported Lucan down...came back on Sat but slowwwww....no connection on SUN and Mon...called NTL again on Monday and Engineer to attend to road in 48 hours...I told them there's no point in sending an engineer to my house as the problem is there end...Im really starting to get a pain in my ar** with them...2 hours it took to get through to them on Mon night......they kept dropping the line :mad:

• Advertisement

Dead again since Friday, rang them Saturday and was told it could take up to 10 days to fix. Smart here i come.

Advertisement