Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars with lots of leg room

• 22-10-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking to get a car after X-Mas (broke till then), but I'm having difficulty trying to get one that I can fit into.

The two bits that get me in most cars is the amount of headroom, and legroom. At last measurement, I'm 6 foot 6" and so anything like a Micra is out (my knee's would be hugging the steering wheel), but I've found this to be the case in quite a few cars.

I'm been told that I'd fit into an old Ford Mondeo, but haven't sat in one, so I don't know. Basically as cops had to be tall, and it was a favorite for the cops, I'm presuming that there'd be a decent amount of leg room in it.

My budget would be about the €4,000 mark for the car, but I'd prefer much less.

Also, as it'll be my first car, I'd prefer one with a not too high litre, so I wouldn't be raped by the insurance company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Have a look at the VW Passat and Skoda Octavia. The Renault Laguna is also not bad. A lot of this is subjective and down to the individual. I remember being told about a Mazda 626 which I would never have considered but there is a version of it that has tons on leg and head room!

I know the above are bigger cars, not so sure about smaller options. The Renault Scenic and that size of car is also very good for head room but might not be what you are looking for.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - What you want is a W202 Mercedes C180.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Plenty of legroom in this.hearse1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Any large saloon will have enough leg room, but i would recommend Avensis, Passat or Octavia.

There a more out there, but this is my reliable list and affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

A Nissan Maxima has tons of head room

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A 90s E series would be good, you could pick up a very decent w124 series 2.0/2.2 for that money. An Audi A6 also has leg room esp as steering wheel is reach and rake adjustable.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

For feck's sake. Read the OP's message. He says it's his first car, so big repmobiles will be problematic to insure and old Mercs will get him laughed out of the broker's office.

You're pretty much stuck with a 1.6l or lower engine. A couple of family hatchbacks actually have a decent amount of room. The previously mentioned Octavia should be on your list. The 1.4 is cheap to buy and run. The Focus isn't too bad either. Stay away from the Japanese hatchbacks. They tend to be a bit on the snug side. 2000 models of both the above cars should be just within budget.

A 1.6 engine will be dearer to insure, but you've got a few more options. 4k will get you into a '00 Nissan Primera or Opel Vectra, or a '99 Avensis or Mondeo. I'd go for the Mondeo myself. Parts and labour are much cheaper than the others when you scrape it off a wall or burn out the clutch. :D

Gary

Oops! did'nt see the last para. Very old Kadetts used to have loads of legroom.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm 6'4" and only small engine car I can fit into without having to put the drivers seat all the way back is my brothers Octavia. 1.4L so shouldn't be too bad insurance wise and looking at carzone a medium mileage 2000 model will set you back 4.5k (so you might haggle 200 off that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Tried a Golf? Im 6'2" and look tiny in mine. There is loads of head and leg room in it. I couldnt believe how big it was when i first got into it

• Advertisement

I'm only 6'2", but my current car, a Volvo 80, is the first one where I don't have to have the seat fully back. a 2L turbo engine would cause you problems with your insurance company though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

TychoCaine wrote: »
    big repmobiles will be problematic to insure and old Mercs will get him laughed out of the broker's office.

You're pretty much stuck with a 1.6l or lower engine.

A 1.6 engine will be dearer to insure, but you've got a few more options. 4k will get you into a '00 Nissan Primera or Opel Vectra, or a '99 Avensis or Mondeo.

I think there's a lot of assumption in these statements- keen observers will know I have this rant over and over about assumptions that bigger cars are harder to insure- and a fiesta is the best starter car.

I generally find the opposite and since the OP MUST have a bigger car- I'd tell him get this
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=820095

I'd love to go back in time and learn to drive in this cruiser:D

Having said that, I'm 6'4" and I learned to drive in a civic and they have tons of room for a small car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm an inch smaller and fit perfectly into my 98 Lancer 1.3. Might be an option to look at that type of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cantdecide wrote:
    He's in Dublin area, that car is in Cork! A bit old, with suspiciously low mileage?

I took a 6'4" mate all over looking at cars once. The first thing he'd do was push the seat back all the way, find his knees knocking off the wheel, then jump out and say 'No good!'. Eventually I had the brain wave of asking him not to push the seat back all the way....what do you think? - first car he tried it in he found his knees in a comfortable position in front of the wheel! It was a Prelude and he bought it! I could have strangled him for all the wasted time.

OP - you should seriously consider an auto!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'm 6'4" and fit into a peugeot 307 no prob.It has loads of headroom and leg room is excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TychoCaine wrote: »
    For feck's sake. Read the OP's message. He says it's his first car, so big repmobiles will be problematic to insure and old Mercs will get him laughed out of the broker's office.
    Is a C180 much more expensive to insure than a Mondeo?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Is a C180 much more expensive to insure than a Mondeo?
    For people with a cleanish driving history and a NCB? No, which is why I drive something big myself, but the vast majority of insurance companies will refuse cover on anything over 1.6 litres if you are in the OP's position and have no driving history. FBD are the one notable exception, but are only reasonable for diesels and 4x4s. A couple of others will quote for a 2l, but will charge more than the car is worth, and the OP is on a limited budget.

Another thing, an overly large car is a nice thing to be in on a motorway, but it's bad idea if you are inexperienced in parallel parking or manoeuvring in tight spaces. Irish multi-story car parks are designed for something like a Focus or a Golf, and not something that's a foot wider and several feet longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Even though I was going to look after I got my full license, I found out that I'd be paying €1300 with Eagle Star, for a 1.6L Ford Mondeo (I'm 25, btw), on a provisional :) which ain't too bad (thought I'd have to pay upwards of €3,000), so I could probably get a car for €1,500 and insurance for €1,500... nice:cool:

So my question: how reliable are the Mondeos?

mike65: you mention an Audi... Audi comes into the same frame of mind as bloody-expensive insurance wise to me (only saw 1.8L versions), so are there any 1.6L versions?

Not A6 models no. If there were it would be v-e-r-y slow.

Mike.

the_syco wrote: »
    Even though I was going to look after I got my full license, I found out that I'd be paying €1300 with Eagle Star, for a 1.6L Ford Mondeo (I'm 25, btw), on a provisional :) which ain't too bad (thought I'd have to pay upwards of €3,000), so I could probably get a car for €1,500 and insurance for €1,500... nice:cool:

So my question: how reliable are the Mondeos?

mike65: you mention an Audi... Audi comes into the same frame of mind as bloody-expensive insurance wise to me (only saw 1.8L versions), so are there any 1.6L versions?

The smallest engine you can get in an A4/6 is the 1.8l turbo, so forget about it, and the only ones in your price range will have driven to the moon and back.

Honest John says the Mondeo II clutches are expensive to get replaced, and you should check the car steers straight, and the electric windows work. Otherwise they're no worse than any other car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The A4 was/is also availble in 1.6 and 1.8 non-turbo. But it's not a particularly spacious car...the Mondeo would be far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Leg room in the old A4 is terrible.

peasant wrote: »
    The A4 was/is also availble in 1.6 and 1.8 non-turbo. But it's not a particularly spacious car...the Mondeo would be far better.
    I stand corrected. The 1.6 has a 1-60 time of 13 seconds.... My old 1.4 Focus would beat one of those away from traffic lights. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Older ('95ish) Civics have good legroom, but avoid the saloon (the 3 door and coupe versions have a bigger door, which makes getting in/out easier). The '96 model wasn't as comfortable for those vertically advanced individuals amongst us! The Coupe normally came in a 1.5, but unfortunately most have been butchered by now.

There was a thread on this about 3 weeks ago with a few good suggestions, but I can't find it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

peasant wrote: »

There was also a 1.8 non-turbo A6...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

I'm 6'2" and I drive a '99 citroen xsara. It's the first car I've ever driven where I don't have the seat back all the way so plenty of leg room.

Mine's a 1.9TD though, and I've heard the petrol models aren't so reliable. Might be worth checking out all the same and well within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

I'm 6' 6" and tried loads of cars before I could even fit in one. I drove a 00 toyota corolla for years but started to get back pain and had to get a different car. Eventually found the Mazda 6. Loads of room but with an engine of 1.8 it's not in his league. I bought a 03 Mazda 6 and it's a bit thirsty.
    I did sit in a Nissan Quahai and they seem to have loads of room. I might get a scrappage deal with the missus' car and get one of those. Have to test drive one first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

brianeoc wrote: »
    I'm 6' 6" and tried loads of cars before I could even fit in one. I drove a 00 toyota corolla for years but started to get back pain and had to get a different car. Eventually found the Mazda 6. Loads of room but with an engine of 1.8 it's not in his league. I bought a 03 Mazda 6 and it's a bit thirsty.
    I did sit in a Nissan Quahai and they seem to have loads of room. I might get a scrappage deal with the missus' car and get one of those. Have to test drive one first though.

I sure he got sorted 3 years later op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi brianeoc, this is a thread from 2007 - please don't bump old threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement