Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New B&Q

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

They get paid a lot better than us Dunnes lot.

curses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

My housemate has been working for them since twoards the end of summer, they were training him for 2 months or something, sent him around the country to other B&Q's and even over to England for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Really looking forward to it opening. I always see big stuff in Athlone but I only have a car and don't fancy pulling a trailer from Galway to Athlone and back. I have a big shopping list already and cash in the pocket. Need to get my storage problems in my house all sorted by Christmas; 3 Bedroom House; each Bedroom with a built in Wardrobe but I am married so that means I get about 12 inches of wardrobe space and she gets the rest. tey do cheap bedroom furniture.

I was up there on Saturday and it was open to "Invitation Only" Customers but I still chanced it but I was refused entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Must pop in for a look when it opens. Problem with that is... you go in not needing anything, but leave with half the stores contents :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was in there today. Got free carpenters pencils and baseballs hats. :rolleyes:

Prices aren't much better then the likes of Woodies or Atlantic for most things stocked in common, but the range of stuff is infinitely better. I've worked in Atlantic for over a year now and I've never been trained - in anything apart from one brand of lawnmowers (yes, not even them all). virtually none of the staff there receive training in anything. And they wonder why we loose business when they send the staff off to advise people on power tools, flooring, plumbing when they've never even trained us. There's just expected to pick up stuff as they go along. I like working there, pay is great, staff is great, hours are great for college, managers are great. But the store is a joke really, the way it's run. Wouldn't be surprised if B&Q steal most of the business. The staff are excellent. After all who wants to buy something off someone who hasn't a clue of what they're selling? Oh wait that mustn't really hold true if PC World are still in business...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

HavoK wrote: »
    After all who wants to buy something off someone who hasn't a clue of what they're selling? Oh wait that mustn't really hold true if PC World are still in business...

Hit the nail on the head there HavoK!

/I'll get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The staff are excellent. After all who wants to buy something off someone who hasn't a clue of what they're selling?

True, but a lot of the staff there today were drafted in from English stores,their knowledge won't be there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

After all who wants to buy something off someone who hasn't a clue of what they're selling? Oh wait that mustn't really hold true if PC World are still in business...

Funnily enough, most of the B&Q staff are ex-Currys/PC World. That said, I've dealt with at least 2 of them before, and their customer service has been excellent. Also, their new manager is very good.

Was told that the B&Q returns policy is that if it doesn't work right, it's just replaced on the spot, rather than waiting 4 weeks for a service department in England to make things worse!

Was looking at their kitchens; going back next week for a design and price on one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Have a good talk to them about their kitchens, Fey!

I have relatives in the north of Scotland who tell me the amount of stuff sent in error is incredible- to the point where many joiners just won't give you a price to fit a B & Q kitchen, cos so much of the stuff will arrive wrong.

May be, and hopefully will be, a different & better experience here though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fey! wrote: »
    Funnily enough, most of the B&Q staff are ex-Currys/PC World. That said, I've dealt with at least 2 of them before, and their customer service has been excellent. Also, their new manager is very good.

UH Oh !!!!
    Was told that the B&Q returns policy is that if it doesn't work right, it's just replaced on the spot, rather than waiting 4 weeks for a service department in England to make things worse!

Except on kitchens of course where they will wait months for a part :)
    Was looking at their kitchens; going back next week for a design and price on one...

ROFLMAO B and Q kitchens once all the necessary missing bits are added in are more expensive than cash and carry kitchens and the same amount of hassle to fit with their cheapie cheapie fasteners and internals and crumbling chipboard.

And you pay B and Q in full, up front . I know people who 'bought 'in Dublin , made the mistake of paying in full up front and were still waiting for the job to be finished 6 months later.

Good luck, you will need it :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up; won't be committing when I meet them; have been bitten by a flooring company before, so a lot more cautious now.

If you are looking for a cash and carry ( not fitted ) kitchen also look at the same cash and carry stuff in Pattersons Briar Hill

Compare the full unit price , eg with doors and shelves and baskets in both and also note the quality of the hinges used etc in both .

Good luck finding a fitter too. Lots of cowboys out there who do crap jobs.

Are Pattersons in the estate with Western Motors? And do they do their own fitting?

Will be shopping around; not in a mad hurry (want to get the job done right rather than quickly!)

Pattersons are in behind western motors and there are one or two other kitchen places in there too. One lot will not even talk to you unless you make an appointment with their designer, :eek: but they seem really expensive so feck that .

'cash and carry' terms mean you get your own fitter or do it yourself.

otherwise you buy a fitted kitchen and the price includes that .

I was looking at one in Moycullen last week and thought it was pretty OK value and nice looking too. "Paul" something kitchens on the oughterard side of the traffic lights they are called . Its not a priority for me so I will look into them all properly again early next year but it seemed better than Galway City prices.

Advertisement