Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your go2 Bag.

• 22-10-2007 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Millions of years ago, women realised that when they were out and about they needed things like lipstick and eye liner etc, and had no where to keep such things, so they invented the handbag. Techies and geeks did not discover the usefulness of such a bag until several centuries later. I am uncluding what I have in my Go2 bag below, bu before I do, let me explain what it is. It is the bag that you pick up when you leave the house. I bring mine almost everywhere. I bring it to work, to the pub, when I go shopping, basically everywhere.

It comes in 2 modes. Work mode, and leisure mode. FYI, I work in IT security.

When in work mode it contains the following:

1. Work Laptop and charger + mouse
    2. notebook and pen(for writing down ideas)
    3. psp and charger
    4. Bluetooth headset
    5. Cables: Ethernet, Usb, mini usb to regular usb, nokia charger, assorted others
    6. Leatherman
    7. bluetooth adapter for my laptop
    8. Neurofen
    9. Pliers and odd screwdrivers
    10. Cocktail sticks(don't ask)
    11. A book on building Lego Robots(for the bus)
    12. Earphones
    Leisure mode(now it gets interesting):

1. Personal laptop, and charger
    2. Notebook and pen(For writing down ideas)
    3. psp and charger
    4. Bluetooth headset
    5. Cables: see above
    6. Leatherman
    7. Bluetooth adapter for my laptop
    8. Neurofen
    9. bottle of jolt(for emergencies)
    10. a few books (usually computer related)
    11. old 2600 issues
    12. oh yeah, the cocktail sticks(again dont ask)
    13. pringles can(if i may be wardriving)
    14. Earphones

There is alot of stuff, but alot of it I would not leave the house with out it. Reduced mode is usally with out the laptop and the books. So guys, post up your go2 bag. I know lots of you out there have them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

19 views and no one has a comment? Come on! Spread the word a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sounds like a large manbag.

If I'm heading out I only bring what will fit in my many pockets. :) Usually I'd just have a max of 3 or 4 things with me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

syklops wrote: »
    19 views and no one has a comment? Come on! Spread the word a little!

what are the cocktail sticks for?

Personally I bring as little as possible everywhere I go. simplify, simplify is my motto.

To the pub for instance it would be my phone (ultra light one), laser/atm card, paper money and single house ke

copacetic wrote: »
    what are the cocktail sticks for?
    My mother bought a packet of cocktail sticks, with about 12 smaller tubes of sticks, and she gave me one when I was home one evening. And the container broke in my bag, and everytime I think I have gotten rid of them all, I find more in the bag. Im beginning to think my girlfriend puts more in once I have teken them out.

The bag itself is a normal Laptop back pack. But it can hold quite alot if you pack it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I'm a guitar player. I carry a plectrum. It fits in my wallet.

That is all.

(Although, on reflection, I do have a gig/jam bag, containing more plecs, a couple of slides, spare strings, leads, power cable for my amp, guitar tool etc. But I only bring that to gigs/jamming)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Well I don't have one but check out these user submitted ones on Lifehacker.com.

GoBag 1
    GoBag 2
    GoBag 3

Some of them are a little overkill. I think at least 3 people had handguns in their GoBags. Heres a sample, notice the Walther P22.

Picture! Dont wanna hotlink because I love this site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Can somebody explain the pringles and wardriving?

Mellor wrote: »
    Can somebody explain the pringles and wardriving?

you can hack a directional attena out of a pringles tube. they are lined with aluminium and you can get significant gain with a well designed one.

Instructions here:
    http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Story here, and there are plenty of web links too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1860241.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

My sharp Zaurus C3100 lets me do most of my day to day stuff, email, ebook reader, chess, surf web, streamtuner, watch video (mplayer), take notes, act as an SD or CF adaptor, USB hosting etc.

iRiver H320 with rockbox for audiobooks, music, radio and portable hard drive as the Zaurus has USB hosting

SE K800i debranded with VLK GPS for a spot of geocaching when combined with a cheap bluetooth GPS from ebay

Plantronics 640 bluetooth headset

Power monkey for external power that can connect to almost anything but definitely to all of the above.

A nice fountain pen (either a Waterman Carene or a Lamy Safari) with a plain Moleskine notepad to balance all of the other gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 flippythewarvet

fenris wrote: »
    My sharp Zaurus C3100 lets me do most of my day to day stuff, email, ebook reader, chess, surf web, streamtuner, watch video (mplayer), take notes, act as an SD or CF adaptor, USB hosting etc.

iRiver H320 with rockbox for audiobooks, music, radio and portable hard drive as the Zaurus has USB hosting

SE K800i debranded with VLK GPS for a spot of geocaching when combined with a cheap bluetooth GPS from ebay

Plantronics 640 bluetooth headset

Power monkey for external power that can connect to almost anything but definitely to all of the above.

A nice fountain pen (either a Waterman Carene or a Lamy Safari) with a plain Moleskine notepad to balance all of the other gear!

moleskin notepad HOORAH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll bite....my bag is getting heavier and heavier these days. :(

This morning I left with:

PSP in case with 2 sets of headphones (train entertainment)
    boxing gloves, shinpads, gumshield, groin guard, shorts, t-shirt and anti-perspirant for Muay Thai class
    other shorts + towel + goggles for swimming at lunchtime
    water bottle
    pear
    protein powder in a little plastic tub
    nuts
    project management book
    razor + shaving soap
    toilet roll

I think that's it. :)

what is the project management book khannie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

My collegey bag..

Vostro 1400 & Charger
    Optical Mouse
    Ethernet & USB Cable
    3 pairs of Headphones
    CD Wallet w/ OS, drivers, boot discs etc
    Creative Zen 20GB
    Nintendo DS
    Deodurant
    Water Bottle
    *cough* hairbrush *cough* (to avoid the caveman look!)
    Bag of 20c coins
    Tissues
    Bus Timetable
    Then pens, books etc..

copacetic wrote: »
    what is the project management book khannie?

The silver bullet. Pretty decent read so far. I'm a software engineer who has just turned manager (sheep->wolf), so I don't know all that management-ey stuff yet.

I have to say though...the PSP is winning the hearts and mind battle at the moment when I'm on the train. :D I've made it through about 50 pages of the silver bullet book, but about 8 TV show episodes in the same time.

edit: I'm still mostly coding tbh....but the PM switch is imminent. I suppose that'll provide more focus.
    karmabass wrote: »
    Bag of 20c coins

Go on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh, hmm:

for starters I dont bring chargers of any description. That saves about a pound right there - this lappy runs on a 12 cell battery: Im fine for about 3+ hours of productivity which is about my remote average anyway. And who needs to charge a phone more than once every few days?

My backpack:

Laptop (a non-Dell laptop, which Dellwhores cant appreciate the beauty of :D)
    Zip/binder with refill pad and pen
    File folder
    Sketch Book (occasionally)
    Mouse
    earphones
    USB card reader and Hub (i dont have a mem stick so i need to use my phone's 2gb card)
    A calculator!
    Sport/water bottle
    Phone and Phone-compatible headphones.

The laptop really tears apart what most people seem to need like CDs and even PSPs (cmon if I want to play a real mobile game I whip out Black and White 2) as it has a monster 200gb storage. Also, my extern drive is an A/C whore, and heavy.
    For CD storage I trust these neat plastic cases I got in the states which fit around the CD/DVD kind of how a UMD does. Handy to just throw the odd disk in yer bag. Or use as a frisbee.

(student of Games Development)

And honestly who brings all this crap to the pub? Youre so getting laid :) (phone, wallet, watch and passport. Headphones optional)

Overheal wrote: »
    The laptop really tears apart what most people seem to need like CDs and even PSPs (cmon if I want to play a real mobile game I whip out Black and White 2) as it has a monster 200gb storage.

I considered a laptop myself for a while but the PSP has several advantages over a laptop:
    • size
    • weight
    • durability (no hard drive)
    • battery life (I get 8-10 hours of video playback with a single charge)
    • it's a portable music player (when walking)
    • it's chargeable from a usb cable

TBH, I don't play games on it. I have played a fair bit of ridge racer on it, and was very very impressed with the graphics for such a small machine, but playing games on the train on a laptop wouldn't be a runner for me either. Overall, it's the decent resolution for video playback that I love so much.

Sure, a laptop has a huge storage and compute power advantage, but overall the PSP with 4G memory card wins out for my needs. It has enough space to store a weeks worth of video to cover my train journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

for me its the usual:

smokes

car keys

money

phone

mp3 player....

occasionally i take my laptop as to play with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

macbook
    power cord
    mem sticks
    keys
    money - very little
    book-copies-pens-paper
    scissors-stapler
    water
    phone
    ipod video
    library cards-member cards etc
    earphones-usb
    2600-mags/books
    nuttin much

conor2007 wrote: »
    macbook
    power cord
    mem sticks
    keys
    money - very little
    book-copies-pens-paper
    scissors-stapler
    water
    phone
    ipod video
    library cards-member cards etc
    earphones-usb
    2600-mags/books
    nuttin much

A-hah! A fellow 2600 reader! They really are the handiest things to have in your bag because you can read them anywhere. Most magazines and books are too big to read on the bus/train.

I believe I forgot to mention my PSP which I bring everywhere too. My laptop is a dell X1 which is ultra portable too.

To the person who said "who brings this stuff to the pub", I say well if I am just going to the pub from home, then I don't bother, but if I'm going to the pub after work, its handy to have something to read, or something to write on. Especially for those sudden ideas I get in the pub/on the way to the pub/on the wy home from the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

in the back compartment, a few chargers for things and a 4 way trailing socket
    in the next compartment is a few cables,lan usb etc next ones empty,next one contains laptop next contains some DVD-r and a notebook/pen
    theres 2 front pockets then, on the left one ive got a usb stick and usb wifi card,pcmcia wifi card, my bluetooth headset, an old phone for a spare, and my mp3 player.
    in the right one ive got a few tools like a screwdriver and some allen keys

• Advertisement

A-hah! A fellow 2600 reader! They really are the handiest things to have in your bag because you can read them anywhere. Most magazines and books are too big to read on the bus/train.

aye , twas my first 2600 mag

if ur interested in that , you should go to the 2600 meeting in dublin or wherever you live

info in the security forum on boards

conor2007 wrote: »
    aye , twas my first 2600 mag

if ur interested in that , you should go to the 2600 meeting in dublin or wherever you live

info in the security forum on boards

I used to go years ago but I was living in swords and it was a pain to get to.

I keep meaning to go back. Do you attend them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I would like a copy of that lego robot book?

strange

i live in swords - ye i went to one - cant go tommorw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

Millions of years ago, women realised that when they were out and about they needed things like lipstick and eye liner etc, and had no where to keep such things, so they invented the handbag. Techies and geeks did not discover the usefulness of such a bag until several centuries later. I am uncluding what I have in my Go2 bag below, bu before I do, let me explain what it is. It is the bag that you pick up when you leave the house. I bring mine almost everywhere. I bring it to work, to the pub, when I go shopping, basically everywhere.

It comes in 2 modes. Work mode, and leisure mode. FYI, I work in IT security.

When in work mode it contains the following:

1. Work Laptop and charger + mouse
    2. notebook and pen(for writing down ideas)
    3. psp and charger
    4. Bluetooth headset
    5. Cables: Ethernet, Usb, mini usb to regular usb, nokia charger, assorted others
    6. Leatherman
    7. bluetooth adapter for my laptop
    8. Neurofen
    9. Pliers and odd screwdrivers
    10. Cocktail sticks(don't ask)
    11. A book on building Lego Robots(for the bus)
    12. Earphones
    Leisure mode(now it gets interesting):

1. Personal laptop, and charger
    2. Notebook and pen(For writing down ideas)
    3. psp and charger
    4. Bluetooth headset
    5. Cables: see above
    6. Leatherman
    7. Bluetooth adapter for my laptop
    8. Neurofen
    9. bottle of jolt(for emergencies)
    10. a few books (usually computer related)
    11. old 2600 issues
    12. oh yeah, the cocktail sticks(again dont ask)
    13. pringles can(if i may be wardriving)
    14. Earphones

There is alot of stuff, but alot of it I would not leave the house with out it. Reduced mode is usally with out the laptop and the books. So guys, post up your go2 bag. I know lots of you out there have them.

it gets interesting because you add cola, a pipe of pringles and a few books??? wow

as has been mentioned the pringles can does not have any pringles in it. Its a cantenna.

I got the lego mindstorms book in easons on O'connel Street. They have a few but most are not great.

I cant go to the 2600 meet tonight either. Let me know when your going next and Ill try and hook up with you. By then I hope to have the eircom wep key generator working on my PSP, which could be useful.

ahha
    ye , very useful things psp's
    thanks to eircom dublin is wireless!

ye , itll be after christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Phone and MP3, creative - absolutely essential
    Wallet w/ various cards/money

Sketch Notepad (product design student)
    Various HB - 6H pencils

Headphones - phone and mp3 (spares)
    phone/mp3 chargers

Laptop - rarely travel with it tho
    Various cds (photoshop/softworks/dreamweaver stuff)

Hand grippers (2 and a half hours a day travelling)
    protein or nutrigrain bars - always have them on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmm, I thought my bag was heavy but after reading these posts.....

mine (work or leisure)
    Book 1 current book
    Book 2 next book in line
    A4 notepad
    3 or 4 pens
    pencil
    utility disk (cd of useful free software)
    2 x usb keys (2gb) 1 x AV and AS utilities , 1x drivers + sis info tools
    1 x Emergency boot cd
    smokes
    2 lighters
    swiss army knife

thats it. theres a monthly rutual clear out to remove the paper scraps etc that arent needed anymore and to update any software that requires it (AV removal tools etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

moleskin notepad HOORAH!!!

+1. Rock on.

MoleHead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Incidentally, as I read these posts I'm thinking how heavy these bags must be? Laptops, MP3 players, chargers, mini games consoles etc...? Japers, people must have physiotherapists on hand 24/7 to sort their shoulders and backs out...

Occasionally when I'm studying in college I have a bag with a laptop and a few other things and it wrecks my back if I have to walk any distance. I can't imagine carrying chargers and other heavy stuff on top of that...

Maybe if you have a good bag or don't have to walk much then it's not much of a problem though...???

I work in Residential Care so I have an overnight bag as such:

Plenty spare clothes
    Book: Currently Shantaram (could I HAVE a heavier book?)
    Moleskin
    Various pens
    Phone & iPod chargers
    Mitchum
    Random spare change to occasionally correct petty cash errors

Now this is one heavy mother of a bag, but I drive to work and only have to walk 50 yards with it in hand so it's not a problem, although if I removed Shantaram I could probably carry it on one finger :p...

Otherwise I don't carry a bag. I used to but I had the same stuff as I do now without a bag > Phone, keys, wallet, RayBans...

Interesting thread syklops, it's your back I was most concerned about by the way :D. I know a good physio... ... ...

Bag Head

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

slightly off topic

www.onebag.com - pack for a holiday in one carry on bag

Advertisement