Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was under the impression.....

• 22-10-2007 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi

Firstly I know nothing about GPS systems however my sister in law asked me to pick out a system for her hubby (my brother) for Christmas.

Have been looking at a Garmin Nuvi 610T on expansys, good price and even better with the vat off. Its got the NT maps but i was under the impression that as Garmin up update their maps you can download them free for your Garmin. But i was reading some thread the other night and i got the impression that you have to buy the updates??

Can someone set me straight?? Also anyone got a 610T, good or bad?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that Garmin will provide you with a free update if you have registered the new unit after the new set of maps have come out, or if the new ones come out a couple of months after you bought. Basically don't register it until you know the new ones are out and you'll then get them for free, otherwise you would have to pay extra for the new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I.E. buy the Garmin unit but DO NOT register it untill the new updates come out. They are due in the next few months ( < 3 months ) After that they will cos about 75$ every 2 years or so.

I have a Garmin 370 and cannot fault it. Sometimes it zooms out a lot for no reason but works well and I love the fact it has Europe and the USA included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

I would wait 3 weeks more and the Nuvi 760 is coming out, has all the bells and whistles. I have the Nuvi 660 and can't fault it, buying the 760 for the FM transmitter and the new feature of being able to plan your route before you go :D Any new GPS you buy now should have City Navigator 2008 which is the latest mapping, if its an older system it will have City Navigator version 9 mapping and the update for this is due out in January 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mushaie

Thanls for the help.

Yeah the 610T has the City Navigator NT, i was told that was the latest mapping. She was looking at spending around €300 so for that kind of money the best i had looked at was the 610T. If she goes for that I'll leave it as late as possible to get it and hope the newer maps are with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

yoman wrote: »
    I would wait 3 weeks more and the Nuvi 760 is coming out, has all the bells and whistles. I have the Nuvi 660 and can't fault it, buying the 760 for the FM transmitter and the new feature of being able to plan your route before you go :D Any new GPS you buy now should have City Navigator 2008 which is the latest mapping, if its an older system it will have City Navigator version 9 mapping and the update for this is due out in January 2008.
    Good to see they've started adding some of these features back in (since they removed them in previous generations of their products).. Route planning (and saving multiple routes), re-organizing via points, trip logs..

Wouldn't you be better off with a bluetooth connection to your stereo? FM transmitters tend to be a little ropey at the best of times..

I wonder if they're planning an updated version of the Zumo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

yoman wrote: »

Is 2008 not only available for US ?

Advertisement