Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Drama Groups (Dublin) - interested in acting? sign up here!

Options
  • 22-10-2007 2:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been asked before but the responses havent really answered my question.

Im looking for an adult drama group to join (im 30), preferrably south side. I did some acting/drama many years ago and would like to get back into it. Im not interested in doing classes as ive done them before. Just looking for a group of people who put on amateur performances etc. Purely theatrical drama groups.

Can anyone recommend any groups?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

I'm looking for the same. If you hear anything let me know.
    Its fairly difficult to find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I'd also be interested in this, so let me know if you find anything...
    If enough people post in this thread, you could even set up your own one :D

Now there is an idea;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

I'm in! what's that four of us? Enough for a production of Juno and the Paycock - bags being Joxer :p

I would put the wig on an wear the tights only im a fairly hairy type of animal and I reckon the waxing might be a bit painful.
    Begs Mr Nugent, the only one with a few bob in his back pocket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Heya,

I have just started some drama - the website is http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4837641949, was on for the past 2 weeks, and the next workshop is 10th December.

After Christmas it is envisaged that it will be on weekly in Dance House on Foley Street in town. She has great plans, and is hoping to have a performance ready for next year's Fringe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

with respect, it looks a bit pretentious to an outsider. What does she do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Is improvisation based.

The first week we did a trust guiding exercise, which was brill. Also, move as if we were feeling certain emotions ie happy, sad, mad etc, and also found our own character from newspaper/magazine clippings (as in a general sense), and then paired off and developed a scene together.

The second week, we moved as we felt we would move to certain types of music, an exercise of mirroring each other in pairs, also, an interview scenario of interviewer, interviewee and a third person acting as a distraction. Is hard to explain, I think, you really need to be there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ah right, it sounds more like classes. Would be good for some people who havent tried before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Surely the obvious place to start is the Drama League of Ireland www.dli.ie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

OP any luck in your search? I am interested in the same but haven't had much luck finding anything.

emc2 wrote: »
    OP any luck in your search? I am interested in the same but haven't had much luck finding anything.

yep i found a group on the southside, drop me a pm if you are still lookin.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm interested in acting too, if anyone here knows a group in the city centre area can they let me know? (either here or in PM, thanks!)

Much appreciated!

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i would also be interested. located in the city/southside.

i would also be interested. located in the city/southside.

Any takers for starting our own drama group? :D

Now thats a good idea. Would we have enough of us? Id be up for that

faceman wrote: »
    Now thats a good idea. Would we have enough of us? Id be up for that
    yay... one victim already :p
    How about anyone who is interested replies to this thread first, so we can see how many would be up for it (or send me a pm). Even if we got a few people here, it might be enough to start off. Once there were a few of us, we could try to spread the word through other channels to get a bigger group going.
    Let the (melo)dramatics begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Whether you are looking for a group to join or are planning on forming your own group; you should contact the DLI

01 296 9343

http://www.dli.ie

(or even call into their office in the Mill Theatre, Dundrum).

They used to have an advice pack for new groups, I'm sure they will send you one if you ask.

(feel free to PM me if you like, although I live too far from Dublin to actually join your group I have a lot of experience in running a group having been an active member of my local group for over 15yrs)

Whether you are looking for a group to join or are planning on forming your own group; you should contact the DLI

01 296 9343

http://www.dli.ie

(or even call into their office in the Mill Theatre, Dundrum).

They used to have an advice pack for new groups, I'm sure they will send you one if you ask.

(feel free to PM me if you like, although I live too far from Dublin to actually join your group I have a lot of experience in running a group having been an active member of my local group for over 15yrs)

Thanks Brightspark, I'll do that. Didn't realise they had offices in Dundrum...

If we ever get to the stage where we are actually starting our own group, I might PM you for some more advice!

Well so far there are 3 of us interested in forming our own group... I think the best thing to do is to leave this thread here for a while and hope that some more people decide that they really want to rediscover tehir inner drama queens!

Hopefully if we get a few more people interested, we can see about meeting up and getting started. I'll also drop into the DLI in Dundrum pretty soon and see what advice they have to offer.

• Advertisement

funny, i was going to post in this thread today but emereldina beat me to it. Why dont we arrange a meet up and see who turns up and take it from there. Even if we dont get enough people we can discuss joining a group together?

im away for 2 weeks from tomorrow but anytime after that is cool for me.

funny, i was going to post in this thread today but emereldina beat me to it. Why dont we arrange a meet up and see who turns up and take it from there. Even if we dont get enough people we can discuss joining a group together?

im away for 2 weeks from tomorrow but anytime after that is cool for me.

Ok, how about meeting up Thursday May 22* (if my calculations are correct and faceman is back by then ;)), maybe 7 pm. We could meet up for a coffee somewhere central and at least see if we can get things going by meeting up in real life for a start!

Anyone interested in going post in this thread:) I thought I may as well throw a date and time out there just to get things started, but if you want to come and can't make that day, let me know and I'm sure we can rearrange things... at this stage I don't think it's likely we'll have so many people going that we can't please everyone!!!

* I just realised that I had neglected to change my calendar from April to May when I posted this yesterday... the date I meant to write was May 22, not 17...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Livee

hi I'm up for it also, I've been looking for something like this for a while. I'm city centre based, but pretty flexible.

liv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jesslg

I'm 24, Aussie and recently moved over here on a working holiday. Would love to join an amateur theatre group, even more so one that is City-Southside based.

May 22nd at 7pm sounds great - where abouts will we be meeting??

Cheers
    Jess

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm also up for that meet. I'd additionally like to write something too as I've a serious interest in writing.

DeV.

Any chance of a reschedule to after the 22nd please? I will be back from China then. :)

Any chance of a reschedule to after the 22nd please? I will be back from China then. :)

Since faceman won't be back for Thursday week, how about we meet the following Tuesday? (May 27). Let me know if you want to come but can't make it that day... I'm sure we can find a day to suit everyone. Hope to see you all then!

Sounds good to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jesslg

Heya,

This day and time suits me, just let me know when and where.

Sounds exciting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Blue Soul

I'm a writer that's interested in joining a drama group so keep me in the loop!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement