Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WPA2 key length and network performance

• 22-10-2007 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to set up a wireless network here and have a random question about securing it.

The router supports WPA2-PSK AES which I'm using because I'm fairly paranoid about security.

I have everything set up using a maximum length WPA2 key at the moment. My question is whether using such a key has any effect on network performance, range, throughput and all that.

Should I use something a bit shorter if I want better performance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

...it has been said that WEP reduces performance, so I take it WPA will have the same effect. I suppose it all depends on what you do on your network and how many other wireless users are connected to the AP. Remember, wireless acts like a wired HUB...not a switch!

Deciding on which length key vs. speed...do a bit of experimenting and comprmise between the two.

Advertisement