Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying GHD's

• 22-10-2007 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm just after breaking my old faithful Andrew Collinge hair straightners and have been told i'm not to be buying any of the 'cheap tat ones' from Argos like I always go for - i'm to get some GHD's.

Now, i've heard nothing but good things about these GHD's but am just after looking for some in the hairdressers and they're €199! I've been told that's the standard cost but am just wondering if anybody knows if there's anywhere they can be bought at a cheaper price? I don't mean Ebay and the likes...in a shop and in Dublin - but just preferably cheaper than €200!

Any help would be much apreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

Sorry to disappoint but these can only be bought in hairdressers and start everywhere at €199!!

Well worth the cost though IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Sorry to disappoint but these can only be bought in hairdressers and start everywhere at €199!!

+1

I have had the same irons since they were first launched and my only prob with them was this year, the plug head was beginning to come off, I replaced it and its as good as new.

Well worth the money and if you buy now, you can get pink ones and i believe a portion of the sale goes to a breast cancer charity.

=]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Searlait

Yeah, GHDs are the only way to go!!! I got mine in Peter Marks for about €150 last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

GetAGHDGetAGHD =D Seriously, I've had mine for 2 years and it's still as good as new. Well worth the €200..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

You can also get them at hqhair.com for slightly less, about €130-150 iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

Hermione* wrote: »
    You can also get them at hqhair.com for slightly less, about €130-150 iirc.

Thats a good bit cheaper than anything I have seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Arent they usually around €130-€150 just the pink ones are €199??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭dollydrops

I have my good oul trusty ghd about five years and I don't know how I ever survived without it before. You know the way some people are surgically attached to their mobiles well I am surgically attached to my GHD, not that I couldn't leave the house without it but I definitely couldn't leave the house without using it.
    I recently converted a friend of mine she bought one in Peter Marks in Liffey Valley about two weeks ago for €179.
    Well worth it! Well well worth it!
    Don't buy the iron oil though or any of the other GHD products don't think they are worth the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Wow I never realised they were €200, I bought mine yonks ago, it has stood the test of time and I love it!!

Actually mines a Kodo (sister company of ghd) and I bought it in Terrisales on Abbey Street! I've never looked back ;)

Times have moved on. The cheapo argos straightnershave are just as good now. If it says it has a temp of 230 deg then it will get your hair GHD straight.

I bought a cordless babyliss with wideplates last week from argos for 27 euro. It's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My first GHD lasted 4 and a half years, was €155. Current one was €160..it has new features though..easier to curl hair with it now, it automatically turns itself off AND it beeps when it's ready :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

They're all pretty expensive sorry. They are well worth the money though and I know it sounds strange but since I got mine I don't think my hair gets half as damaged as it did using a cheaper one!! Go for it... GHD's are by far the best!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I got mine from hqhair.com about 3 yrs ago...it was €130. I got the one with the thicker blades as i have ALOT of hair....it is the best thing sice sliced pan..seriously. get one, you wont look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

i know its completely unrelated but i left mine on this morn, was out of the house near enough 12 hours came back to find it has burnt a hole in my kincker drawer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I have a Morphy Richards one which I got in Roches (yes, Roches!) in the sales two years ago next January. It's absolutely fantastic: I've used a friend's GHD and it's just as good imho. Plus, it was €70 (reduced from €100 in the sale)... There are good non-GHD straighteners. If you're paying c.€100 it won't be 'tat from Argos'! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Rubbish! You can get GHD's in loads of place, I got mine at hqhair.com and it was under 130 euro including postage last year. Peter Mark can go and jump, charging 200 quid for them! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

How do you know that the version on the HQ website is the latest version.

I'm thinking that maybe they are selling a slightly older version of the GHD and thats why its cheaper.

angelicsaz wrote: »
    i know its completely unrelated but i left mine on this morn, was out of the house near enough 12 hours came back to find it has burnt a hole in my kincker drawer...

Lucky you didnt burn the house down!

What does everyone put their straighteners on when finished with?

I pull my drawer out and wrap the chord round the handle and hang it off that so its not touching off anything. And I scoop the rest of the chord up over the drawer so it wont burn it either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Cathooo wrote: »
    Lucky you didnt burn the house down!

What does everyone put their straighteners on when finished with?

I pull my drawer out and wrap the chord round the handle and hang it off that so its not touching off anything. And I scoop the rest of the chord up over the drawer so it wont burn it either!!

Ah that's so cute! The effort! I'm looking at my ghd now and it's on my desk here sitting on paper..that's where i put it last time i used it. :o

The new ghd's go off after a certain time anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Agreed. That is effort. I've never used one, but I presume it'd get the same treatment any other electrical device I have would get. Left on nearest relatively flat surface, possibly still pluged in:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Definitely worth the €200 !!! Go for it !!! :D I've had mine about 5 years now and they're still working perfectly fine and have been around the world !!! :p Wouldn't go near any other ones !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ah that's so cute! The effort! I'm looking at my ghd now and it's on my desk here sitting on paper..that's where i put it last time i used it. :o

The new ghd's go off after a certain time anyways

Wow... I could do with one! I've left mine on 3 times for around 5 hours. Haven't done it in ages but I always panic when I'm out and convince myself I did.

How is that effort? Seriously it takes only an extra second than putting it down on a surface.

Did it this morning even though I was running really late. Beats the panic of thinking I left it plugged in on a surface when I leave the house.

A friend of mine was doing her hair, threw the straightener on her bed (left on) and sat on it while wearing nothing but underwear! Youch! Burnt her bottom.

Just hang it up, its easy :D

Advertisement