Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving MMORPG's to a new PC

Options
  • 22-10-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Right, my home pc decided that it couldn't live with all the hatred built up against Steve Stauntan, and it blew up. So I've got a new PC arriving in a couple of days. What's the best way of migrating my MMORPG's to the new machine? I don't want to have to go through the 7 months of patching to be up to date. Can I just copy all the files across and will it be recognised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

humanji wrote: »
    Right, my home pc decided that it couldn't live with all the hatred built up against Steve Stauntan, and it blew up. So I've got a new PC arriving in a couple of days. What's the best way of migrating my MMORPG's to the new machine? I don't want to have to go through the 7 months of patching to be up to date. Can I just copy all the files across and will it be recognised?

Install the games from the original disk and make sure to keep the same folder locations as on old pc. Then copy the full game folder from old pc to new one. Might have to do a little patching but not the whole lot I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Warcraft for one will work with a simple folder drag. At least it has for me and a few friends when we have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Yep WOW works fine from the folder you have installed it to,

Just copy and paste, hell it even runs from a USB drive if its big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Every MMO I've played has just been a copy and paste. MMO developers never bother with copy protection or registry weirdness.

Well there is no point having any kind of protection when you need to pay for your account anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, just so you all know, it didn't work :(

Well, just so you all know, it didn't work :(

What game?

If WOW, then you ****ed it up somehow :)

It was Lord Of The Rings Online. I've been told that others have gotten it to work, but it just won't for me. It doesn't really matter too much. I've downloaded the patches in work on their highspeed line, so it's just a matter of installing again. Bit of a pisser though, but I've installed Vista now, so I should be able to see how pretty it looks with DX10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

there are lots of issues with Vista and Lord of the Rings Online... good luck with that ;)

But google the error message you get, if you get one...

Why did you downgrade to Vista?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

For the same reason people "downgraded" from 2k to XP.

I wanted to play games with Dx10 to see what they're like (and they look f-ing amazing) but I'm planning to go back to xp in a few weeks anyway.

I wanted to play games with Dx10 to see what they're like (and they look f-ing amazing) but I'm planning to go back to xp in a few weeks anyway.

Meh,

Bioshock is the only one i tried and the difference was negligible.

Will try Crysis when it comes out too

I tried the Crysis demo and it made me weep with joy. It really is the most beautiful game ever made (well in my opinion, which usually counts for nothing).

Advertisement