Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashtown Train station

Options
  • 22-10-2007 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

hey

Just wondering if anyone passes the trainstation at Ashtown by car in the morning?

I have noticed that the last three weeks there is a new person handeling the gates and he will not lift them up between trains, last friday we where waiting 16 minutes before he would lift the gates

I have contacted Iariond Eireann but I have got no response

Tracey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

traceybere wrote: »
    hey

Just wondering if anyone passes the trainstation at Ashtown by car in the morning?

I have noticed that the last three weeks there is a new person handeling the gates and he will not lift them up between trains, last friday we where waiting 16 minutes before he would lift the gates

Tracey

what time is this at? I get the train most mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

hey

Tracey

Yup, pain in the bleed'n hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I spoken to the guys in the station about this before - They maintain that they cant open the gates until they get a signal through telling them too. Seems to be a protocol thing and its more than theirs jobsworth to break the rules. In fairness the rules are there for safety so they shouldnt really take chances.

Still a pain in the hole tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

It varies between 8.18 and 8.45 hen i leave my house

I know its protocol but when there is different people on the gates i defintely notice there is a difference in the amount of time it takes

there is a really nice young fella that lets a few cars throught between trains

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Is this right at Ashtown, or do you mean further down towards Cabra crossing?

If it is the former, then can you use the River Rd to bypass the crossing? That's what my girlfriend does. I get the 120 bus and the crossings can be variable, what this is down to I'm not sure. It does annoy me to sit there with no trains going past for 5/6 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know its protocol but when there is different people on the gates i defintely notice there is a difference in the amount of time it takes

Could be down to trains arriving late rather than the person just keeping them open

bugler wrote: »
    Is this right at Ashtown, or do you mean further down towards Cabra crossing?

If it is the former, then can you use the River Rd to bypass the crossing? That's what my girlfriend does. I get the 120 bus and the crossings can be variable, what this is down to I'm not sure. It does annoy me to sit there with no trains going past for 5/6 minutes.

Yeah the station at Ashtown - near the new superquinn, i go the fingal dircation so the bypass doesn't real help

thanks for the suggestion though :)

kearnsr wrote: »
    Could be down to trains arriving late rather than the person just keeping them open

Its a possibility

but when the older man is opn you know you will be 10 - 15 minutes - whne the young guy is there it might only be 4 - 5 mins

they both do the same shifts just alternate weeks

it just drives me MAD :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

yeah, it drives me mental because, it then means the traffic builds up going past my house and i cant get out, as no-one seems to understand what the yellow boxes are for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

how nice will this fella be if there's some cars smashed by a train? I'm sure it's a pain, but give me safety any day over a train crash.

As for yellow boxes, sure arent they just there for when you're doing your driving lessons; you can ignore them after you've done the test!

To say there was a lack of planning and foresight used when designing the road layouts around here is a tad of an understatement. They should have gone over or under the railway while they had the road closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Ever since the new trains came online, the level crossing at broombridge has been a total nitemare. I used to go that way to work, then i started going up the finglas rd, up prospect rd and turning right at dalymount...its a lot handier than sitting in focking traffic on tolka valley rd!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bob90909

If you want to see something done about this write to your local politicians or the planning ( or lack off) bord. Ive been hounding them for a while about this and there have been some proposals for a bridge. But as usual they are about 10-15 years behind and building infrastructure after the developers have made their money. I suggested that no further development should be allowed in the area until a bridge or tunnel is built. Unionized workers resisting change and a lack of spine by government to tackle them seems to be the problem so far. Also bear in mind they plan to increase the frequency of the trains to every 10 min in the next year or so. So if two trains pass there within 10 min in each direction your looking at the gates being closed for 10+ minutes every 10 minutes.
    The more they hear about it the more likely they are to do something.

bord@pleanala.ie
    minister@transport.ie
    infrastructure@taoiseach.gov.ie

Iarnród Éireann, Head Office, Connolly Station, Dublin 1
    Telephone: 00-353-1- 8363333
    They don't have an e-mail ( not surprising really)

Advertisement