Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators

Options
  • 22-10-2007 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just a quick question, bought a new .22mag cz(still waiting for licence)!!! thinking about getting a moderator. Do i need to get that added to the licence or can i just go and buy one? The cz has a threaded barrel if that makes any difference.

many thanks

peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Yes, you need authorisation from the local Super. Write a letter seeking authorisation for a "sound moderator for vermin control"

• Registered Users Posts: 8 peter g

many thanks, will do that straight away!!

cheers
    peter

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just out of curiosity, is anyone ever refused a moderator?
    I can understand them requiring to know about it, but couldn't see the point to them refusing it,

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

Mellor wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone ever refused a moderator?
    I can understand them requiring to know about it, but couldn't see the point to them refusing it,

sent letter to super 6 weeks ago gave my reasons for wanting one, hearing livestock not wanting to scare horses and so on,got phone call on friday turned down said could see no reason i should want one, local sargent said to appeal it, just don't know what to put down now any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

i just had to verbally tell my fo and he said thats all i needed to do. try that before going down the letter route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

i asked my local fo about a moderator when i renewed my license and he said he couldnt see it happening and basically not to bother asking as "silencers" were still in a grey area and the super wouldnt entertain it ????

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

My partner recently applied for a moderator and was denied. He went back with medical evidence his hearing was deteriorating. The Super still refused and asked why he couldn't just use hearing protection. But as you know hearing protection isn't something you can use stalking. The Super then told him to write a letter explaining the reasons he required the moderator and produce research to the Super which identifies how the moderator would benefit him. After a long drawn out process, letters and meetings he got it but it has to be renewed annually. I know of somebody else who just got it easily, no questions asked. Depends on the Super really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

That drives me absolutely crazy, the inconsistencies with FO/Supers etc.

I wish someone would write guidance, properly informed guidance for them. I don't blame them, they have a tough job and are under recourced

All these inconsistencies with policy are a brilliant argument for appeals though

We purchase moderators/suppressors the law refers to "silencers". It is virtually impossible to "silence" a hunting firearm. We use a device to suppress the sound of the shot to an acceptable level, 223 suppressed down to the sound of an unsuppressed 22 wmr. Even with a suppressor one should wear hearing protection.

Apart from the fact that the supressor puts anything from another 4 inches onto the end of the barrell what are there reasons for not granting one...

War movies and spy thrillers???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

bogteal wrote: »
    sent letter to super 6 weeks ago gave my reasons for wanting one, hearing livestock not wanting to scare horses and so on,got phone call on friday turned down said could see no reason i should want one, local sargent said to appeal it, just don't know what to put down now any help.

ASk for a reply in the same medium you sent the form in

they would't like a verbal firearm application would they??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

ok so, you need authorisation for a modifier, yet you can just walk into a gun shop and buy one anyways???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

a friend of mine just got his new tikka 223 with mod on it, It took him six months just to get licence now he does not know what to do after i told him my story.i have one on my hornet but i wanted one on my 6.5 for deer maybe i will just keep on to them,the one on the hornet i never told them about the local cops have often seen me out never said a word i just think they dont know them self what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I wish someone would write guidance, properly informed guidance for them.
    That's part of the job for the Firearms Consultation Panel... or at least to advise on how such guidance should go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I got mine with surprisingly with little hassle apart from a long wait!!!!
    I was expecting the worse from my local station but they were not too bad
    to deal with. (with that said I am waiting 4 months to get my ammo limit
    increased from 100 to 500)

As I am non a veteran shooter and want to practice shooting my .17hmr at the 50m range its way too loud to use at 50m as most other
    users of the 50m range are 22 users.

I got a letter from my Club saying that they had no objections to me using
    a moderator for health and safety reasons.
    (I reckon the letter was a great help)

I bought a moderator over the counter without any questions asked as
    it was a moderator and sold as such. Most firearms dealers will sell one
    as a moderator and not a silencer.

I wrote a letter to my super saying that to use my rifle at 50m it needed
    to be moderated and that it did not remove the noise as the .17HMR was
    supersonic but adding a moderator would "reduce" the noise to that of a .22.

No matter who I rang or who I wrote to I used the term "moderator" as in
    it does not silence the sound but merely reduce it every time I heard back
    from the Gards they kept using the term silencer.

After weeks of waiting I got a letter from my super asking me for MORE details
    on the silencer I wanted to use. I supplied the length,width and thread pitch
    as well as the brand name of the moderator I bought.

After more weeks wait I got a letter from the super giving me permission
    to possess and use the said silencer as long as its kept in a gun safe and I also would need to renew the letter of permission each year.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

i heard from a reliable resorce that you only have to inform your super that you have 1.
    i have 2 moderators and got them no problem without licence
    in all fairness why give you a licence for a gun ond not a mod
    bit stupid if you think of it

Best reason i can think of is that you do target shooting in a range and you need one to stop the noise in an inclosed area

in all fairness why give you a licence for a gun ond not a mod
    bit stupid if you think of it

I imagine that its due to the same reason that a flash suppressor, collapsible stock or bayonette mount are treated the way they are, and are illegal in most countries (even the US:eek::eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

i heard from a reliable resorce that you only have to inform your super that you have 1.

Well you heard wrong then.
    To be legal, you need a letter of authorisation from your super. Yes, they can be bought very easily without any licence etc. but to possess/use one without said letter, you're comitting an offence.

You're not the only one who has a mod without letter though :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It is stupid to be authorised to hold a firearm but not a moderator.

If you're not fit to hold a firearm then fair enough. If you are, what's the bloody problem. In this regard the people in the UK have a much much better system, apply for the variation, pay your fee and away you go. And handload too :mad: And night vision :mad: And, and, and...

There is a very good reason for the restriction on mods and similar attachments. And its correct to request authorisation, in fact its stupid not to do this. But this should be used to record who has them, not prevent people from getting them.
    People are thinking like shooters here and forgetting about the other potential use of these attachments.
    Granted the other three I listed above (flash suppressor, collapsible stock or bayonette mount) are more serious as they don't have a legitimate cause for the public to hold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

what good reason is there for not being allowed to use them?
    if the reasons are criminal use then authorisation is hardly an issue?
    why not allow there use on ranges? or for centerfires around livestock or at night?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I imagine that its due to the same reason that a flash suppressor, collapsible stock or bayonette mount are treated the way they are, and are illegal in most countries (even the US:eek::eek:).

Does this mean I have to apply for authorisation for my bayonette on my Berretta? How will I dispatch the wounded pigeons without it???!

Some dealers wont thread for a mod without the authorisation.

• Advertisement

I think I am right in saying that if you thread a firearm for a moderator it will require re proofing, therefore thread carefully:D.ah! Ah! Best to purchase one pre threaded. I also have heard of lads getting rifles threaded and the "threaders" making an absolute mess of the the rifles.

If you tamper with the rifle and something happens you may be in limbo as far as insurance goes........

nobody said there was a reason for not being allowed to use them,
    I said there is a reason to monitor who has one, and the details of it also. For the same reasons the it makes sense to control and monitor who has guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

cavan shooter is correct. be very carfully who you give the weapon to for the purpose of getting a thread cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There is a very good reason for the restriction on mods and similar attachments. And its correct to request authorisation, in fact its stupid not to do this. But this should be used to record who has them, not prevent people from getting them.
    People are thinking like shooters here and forgetting about the other potential use of these attachments.
    Granted the other three I listed above (flash suppressor, collapsible stock or bayonette mount) are more serious as they don't have a legitimate cause for the public to hold one.

I stand by my statement. If you're (not you) a paramilitary or criminal you'll have certain things in place so you don't need a moderator, or if you do want one sure it'll come in on the next drug shipment. How many AK's or god for bid the dreaded Glock have you seen fitted with mods? How many gun crimes have been comited using them? How many murders? My bet would be a big fat ZERO. It's complete and utter nonsense and there is no good reason for the level of current restriction. It's pure ignorance on the part of the powers that be. More rubbish about the ordinary guy who likes to do a bit of shooting being lobbed into the criminal/boogieman group.

If a person is deemed fit to hold a firearm then they should also be deemed fit for a moderator or any of the other things I mentioned.

I never said they should be handed out like peanuts, I put the UK system of application forward as a good example. They, sensibly, use health and safety grounds to apply for theirs.

While, over here as a few stories on Boards go, you'll get told to either get a quieter firearm or use ear protectors. Those reasons are complete GUFF. Hunting, or shooting sports, require you for ethical/humane and/or competitive reasons to use the proper calibre firearm for a particular task. In my opinion, and experience, hunting with your hearing impared is downright DANGEROUS.

Christs sake even a lad working on a building site has to be ticketed to scratch his arse in this day and age to protect his and other peoples "health & safety", so why are we as shooters broadly discriminated against by being largely denied the right to protect our own?

Stick it to the Man :cool:

johngalway wrote: »
    so why are we as shooters broadly discriminated against by being largely denied the right to protect our own?

Stick it to the Man :cool:

Because of a total misunderstanding (was going to use a different word) of the whole topic of shooting and shooting sports in general.

Having lived and undertaken shooting sports in the UK, I am well impressed at the way they handle licencing etc. Look at the guidance available to shooters and Police alike on the BASC website or home office web site. (Thread posted)

Lads if there is a delay with your application in the UK they return your calls and apologise. They come out and advise you on the best approach in relation to storage. They don't just insist on an alarm system fort knox would be proud to have, they actually print guidance on security.(My God they make a uniform decision) They talk to you, not dismiss you out of hand, They have trained officers to deal with your query...

Inconsistency in application of the law is a major bug bearer of mine, the second is enforcing authorities(gardai, planning, Environment, HSA) making knee jerk decisions, Based on ill informed (personal) opinion, whilist not making informed decisions because they are scared stiff of having to stand up and be counted. :mad:

Interpretation of the Law is key to having good law, and guidance for shooters and enforcing Authorities alike is the only way we will ever get that...

(Rant over, Thank you very much):)

johngalway wrote: »
    I stand by my statement. If you're (not you) a paramilitary or criminal you'll have certain things in place so you don't need a moderator, or if you do want one sure it'll come in on the next drug shipment. How many AK's or god for bid the dreaded Glock have you seen fitted with mods? How many gun crimes have been comited using them? How many murders? My bet would be a big fat ZERO.

If a person is deemed fit to hold a firearm then they should also be deemed fit for a moderator or any of the other things I mentioned.

That is a silly way to look at it. Because they can get their hands on them it doesn't matter how available they are. The same could to applied to guns couldn't it. Should they be unrestricted too? Do you think mods should be an over the counter affair?

It makes perfect sense to keep a record of who has mods. To make it clear for the third time, as I was once again taken out of context, if you have a gun that requires a mod it for your given situation you should be allowed to get one BUT you have to apply for this, in keeping with the record of mods above. The knock on for this is that as you need a reason to get one, it must be decided upon by someone. This is the failing of the system, people not getting a mod where they have a reason. But the restriction and record has to remain.

As for zero gun crimes commited with mods. I think you're being a little naive or possibly old fashioned. A couple of years ago this was easily the case, but in recent years murders, assassinations in paticular, have increased. A number of these are professional affairs, and a mod was certainly used in a number of cases.

Do you disagree with people not getting mods or with the need to apply for one in the first place. As I have tried to make it clear that there is a no need for first (where required), but a need for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Do you think mods should be an over the counter affair?

They can be gotten over the counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Yup, they can!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

the gun shops can legally sell them but you cant legally use them (without premission) wheres the sense in that ???

• Advertisement

They can be gotten over the counter!
    Thats a bit nit-picky isn't it. It was quite obvious that I was asking should they be available over the counter for use (which they aren't)

Advertisement