Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place to live in cork if you work in ringaskiddy

Options
  • 22-10-2007 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

where is best place to live in cork if you work in ringaskiddy as far as avoiding the traffic in the morning?what area is the nearest?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Ringaskiddy. All traffic roudn ringaskiddy will be going there in teh morning. if you dont mind that particualr bunch of traffic, anywhere round the southside should be grand, the main traffic in teh city is in teh inbound direction. or little towns like carraigalin, passagewest, ballinhassig arent too far if you're driving.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

You can't really win traffic wise unless you're living in carrigaline or ringaskiddy. As a reference though, I live in Ballincollig and if I leave my house at 7.45 i should get there for 8.30 on a good day :) On a bad day, which are quite frequent due to the amount of crashes on that road, it can take a fair bit longer. You can take the back roads to get there a bit faster but it's just too much stress and effort to cope with once you've been spoilt by the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Carrigaline or Douglas are the obvious ones but Passage West and Monkstown would also be good choices and probably less traffic down the coast road to Ringaskiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Carrigaline is a frikkin dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

A lot of Ringaskiddy workers live in Cobh too - it adds a bit of expense i.e. another €24.00 per week, getting the car ferry across, but ferry takes you to Glenbrook/Passage West and then you drive to Ringaskiddy. At least in Cobh, you're in a small town with everything on your doorstep i.e. within walking distance. Also, a train station, so easy access to Cork City. Check out Daft website to compare renting locally in Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy/Passage West vs. Cobh + Car Ferry ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Judes wrote: »
    A lot of Ringaskiddy workers live in Cobh too - it adds a bit of expense i.e. another €24.00 per week, getting the car ferry across, but ferry takes you to Glenbrook/Passage West and then you drive to Ringaskiddy. At least in Cobh, you're in a small town with everything on your doorstep i.e. within walking distance. Also, a train station, so easy access to Cork City. Check out Daft website to compare renting locally in Carrigaline/Ringaskiddy/Passage West vs. Cobh + Car Ferry ticket.

Cobh is also a hole, three gardai with one car to cover the whole area. If anything major happens they have to wait for a consignment from anglesea street to show up.

It being a port, theres dodgy sailors, prostitution and drugs all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Gee Craichoe - having lived in Cobh the past 5 years - I must be missing an awful lot of excitement ....... as I've never witnessed anything you just listed. Mind you isn't Cork a port, so if you're talking prostitutes/drugs etc. then don't live anywhere within/surrounding the city. Yes, we do have one or two troublesome spots on the Great Island - but name me a town/village in this country that isn't affected. I'd also like to point out that there are Gardai Patrol Cars in Cobh every evening, so I feel very safe.

What would your suggestions be for a place to live for somebody who will be working in Ringaskiddy (a port) - I think we need to hear something a little more positive than places being "dumps" or "holes" - I'm curious as to where you would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

There are a lot of large reasonably priced housing estates on the north-east side of Carrigaline (Herons Wood for example). It's worth looking into as they are only a stone's throw away from ringaskiddy. If you are buying then I know that the semi-detached's in Herons Wood are starting at ~€325,000.

There are also a few places out the currabinny direction, they may be a bit too secluded for you though.

Some parts of Carrigaline are nice, some aren't. The town centre tends to have a few too many youths in tracksuits though. It's pretty safe from my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ash7322

Hey

I'm moving to Cork for the Summer because I got a job in Ringaskiddy. I'll be sharing accommodation with a friend working in Carrigaline. Unfortunately neither of us have a car, where would be the most ideal place to live in this case?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Unless you can arrange a lift there is no bus service from Carrigaline to Ringaskiddy.

• Advertisement

We haven't got anywhere to live yet, is there somewhere ideal for getting to both Ringaskiddy and Carrigaline from? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

ash7322 wrote: »
    We haven't got anywhere to live yet, is there somewhere ideal for getting to both Ringaskiddy and Carrigaline from? Thanks

Shanbally - Half way mark.

Tip; rent don't buy

nightster1 wrote: »
    Shanbally - Half way mark.

Tip; rent don't buy

Cool thanks, is there buses from there? Oh we will definitely only be renting!

Shanbally is indeed half way. It is a small village, one shop , one pub, one church , one roundabout... you get the picture !! You could walk to work in Ringaskiddy safely on a footpath, in Id guess 15 mins. Depending on the factory you re heading to. You wouldnt really be able to walk easily to Carrigaline from Shanbally and there is no bus. Id guess its about 25 min walk.
    Ringaskiddy is just a difficult place to get to if you are relying on the bus. Its in a cul de sac as in the end of the harbour so its not on the way to anywhere. The country road , and most direct route from Carrigaline to Ringaskiddy is most def NOT suitable for walking or cycling. There is a main very busy road but its a longer route , and busy with heavy vehicles etc heading to the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

craichoe wrote: »
    It being a port, theres dodgy sailors, prostitution and drugs all over the place.

woohoo, sounds like my kind of place :D

I live in Passage so I'd suggest Monkstown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

The Elysian, you can parachute to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Once you start work in whichever factory it is you'll be able to hitch a ride to carrigaline no prob as a lot of locals work there .Carrigaline is definately your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Lcronin2011

Shanbally i suppose would be the most handy place if you are working in ringaskiddy, or else ringaskiddy itself! :) i have to say tho if i worked there i would live in crosshaven, most amazing place ever it is like being in the country :) plus its only a 20 minute drive to ringaskiddy from there! Weavers point all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Passage West and Monkstown are on the bus route 223 to Ringaskiddy, They are only small villages really.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

I don't live in Carrigaline but have some friends who do. There are quite a few good rental properties available on the Cork side of the town, which is the right side for Ringaskiddy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

daveyjoe wrote: »
    There are a lot of large reasonably priced housing estates on the north-east side of Carrigaline (Herons Wood for example). I know that the semi-detached's in Herons Wood are starting at ~€325,000.

I didn't realise this was an old, resurrected thread until I saw those figures. That is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

dory wrote: »
    I didn't realise this was an old, resurrected thread until I saw those figures. That is terrifying.

Big time. It got worse than that too.

They peaked at 350k - 360k for 3 bed semis in Heron's wood, Westwood and other "new estate" areas of Carrigaline. Knock 120k off those easily now and you'll knock 150k off them before we see the bottom.

Goldstein wrote: »

They peaked at 350k - 360k for 3 bed semis in Heron's wood, Westwood and other "new estate" areas of Carrigaline. Knock 120k off those easily now and you'll knock 150k off them before we see the bottom.

d'oh, I didn't cop the old thread myself....yikes, imagine the poor heads who paid €325,000+ for a semi-d in Carrigaline!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Goldstein wrote: »

d'oh, I didn't cop the old thread myself....yikes, imagine the poor heads who paid €325,000+ for a semi-d in Carrigaline!!

Scary.

You'd buy this for €150k I reckon. http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=587749

GUrEovwdZr63XyqPbzpxZllOhe4vLO7rNF8BICWcLRdtPWRhZnQmbD02MDA=.jpg

yLd2rgd5bBOhXl1hGLKzcdLoyLwX0lvpAZoGdEBoL5NtPWRhZnQmbD02MDA=.jpg

mZbxsrivDWHyu2H2Ukuw433J8pJGCp9p7uIX8bWI_GNtPWRhZnQmbD02MDA=.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Ill give you 53 euro and a toaster for it.

I would think you're right Ollie. Who would have thought that the 'exclusive' area of Heron's Wood would become so 'cheap'? ;)

Scary times, and it's not over yet...anyway, I've gone way off topic!

Can we put this thread to bed mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ringaskiddy is a dump dont live there.

I would think you're right Ollie. Who would have thought that the 'exclusive' area of Heron's Wood would become so 'cheap'? ;)

Scary times, and it's not over yet...anyway, I've gone way off topic!

Can we put this thread to bed mods?

Post # 10 was a genuine question posted May 1 st 2011. That is the question that lead to the ressurection of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

ash7322 wrote: »
    Hey

I'm moving to Cork for the Summer because I got a job in Ringaskiddy. I'll be sharing accommodation with a friend working in Carrigaline. Unfortunately neither of us have a car, where would be the most ideal place to live in this case?

Thanks

Rochestown is near center between town and Ringaskiddy, roughly 10km, 15min bike ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Dubba wrote: »
    Rochestown is near center between town and Ringaskiddy, roughly 10km, 15min bike ride.
    Impressive stuff to be doing 10km in 15 minutes on your bike taking those roads

Advertisement