Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Change IP Address

Options
  • 22-10-2007 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Is there a reliable way to change your IP address on NTL? I've tried this SMAC MAC Address Changer but it doesn't seem to work that well. I have heard that you can change it by switching off your modem for a few hours, but that isn't very preferable. Is there a way to do it on demand?

NTL assigns dynamic IPs but they seem to "stick" for a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

As far as I am aware there is no way to speed up how often your IP address changes, although possibly there is a better chance of it happening if you do reset your modem frequently.

Why do you want it to change??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I can't recall the lease time I think it's 8 hours or so.

You could just leave it turned off over night, or turn it off and attach to a different nic card then turn off and back to the original should do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

If i remember correctly you have to power of the modem for 24hours i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Why do you want it to change??

To stop Google spying on me.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 footfall

also found this on the Web.....NTL home 200 modem
    Use explorer the type ip address of 192.168.100.1
    user = root
    password = root

gives access to all internal modem settings(but u cant change any of them)
    but good if you want to check sig strength/noise etc as it gives dbs levels for downstream ...etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The IP addresses are assigned by DHCP.

DHCP involves "leases" - a machine requests an IP, the DHCP server assigns the IP and also informs the machine of the length of the "lease". Halfway through the lease, the machine will contact the DHCP server to renew the lease, and this goes on and on. While a machine has a "lease", the DHCP server will not reassign that IP address to another machine. If the lease expires without having been renewed, the IP address goes back into the pool of available leases and may be given out to another machine.

You can also "release" the IP, which is basically telling the server, "I don't want this IP anymore". The lease gets cancelled and the IP goes back into the pool.

Most machines (or maybe all) when started up, will attempt to renew the last IP address they had, even if it was 6 months ago. If the server refuses (i.e. if someone had the IP), the machine gets issued with a new IP.

I'm not sure about the modem, but most routers (and all OSes) provide a means to release your IP address.

However, on NTL there's a good chance that even if you release and renew constantly you'll keep getting the same IP. I would say most people are using routers which are constantly on, so the turnover in IPs is quite low, which is why you'd need to release your IP for a while so someone else can grab it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

seamus wrote: »
    The IP addresses are assigned by DHCP.

DHCP involves "leases" - a machine requests an IP, the DHCP server assigns the IP and also informs the machine of the length of the "lease". Halfway through the lease, the machine will contact the DHCP server to renew the lease, and this goes on and on. While a machine has a "lease", the DHCP server will not reassign that IP address to another machine. If the lease expires without having been renewed, the IP address goes back into the pool of available leases and may be given out to another machine.

You can also "release" the IP, which is basically telling the server, "I don't want this IP anymore". The lease gets cancelled and the IP goes back into the pool.

Most machines (or maybe all) when started up, will attempt to renew the last IP address they had, even if it was 6 months ago. If the server refuses (i.e. if someone had the IP), the machine gets issued with a new IP.

I'm not sure about the modem, but most routers (and all OSes) provide a means to release your IP address.

However, on NTL there's a good chance that even if you release and renew constantly you'll keep getting the same IP. I would say most people are using routers which are constantly on, so the turnover in IPs is quite low, which is why you'd need to release your IP for a while so someone else can grab it.

Don't think releasing has any effect on NTL unless the MAC changes.

Don't think releasing has any effect on NTL unless the MAC changes.

I've tried spoofing the MAC addressing with SMAC but most of the time it results in an "invalid IP address", 0.0.0.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You can be pretty sure that spoofing the MAC address of the cable modem on the ntl network is a breach of their terms of service. They wont be happy if they notice you doing it.

You can be pretty sure that spoofing the MAC address of the cable modem on the ntl network is a breach of their terms of service. They wont be happy if they notice you doing it.

I don't see any mention of MAC addresses in NTL's ToS. Anyway, if it's a case of pretending it's not your account or something like that, it's not really a problem because the MAC address is just one way NTL can determine who the customer is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You won't get an IP address from NTL without a valid MAC. When the install takes place, the installer registers the MAC of your modem with the network, which allows you to get an IP. If you attach a device with an unrecognised MAC to the network, you won't get an IP address.

This is because the network is essentially wide open - you're just connecting directly to the cable network with no username/password or any kind of filters. Theoretically, you can take your modem and plug it in anywhere that there's an NTL connection switched on, and you have cable broadband. In order to prevent people buying and connecting their own devices, they need to use MAC filtering. If you attempt to spoof the MAC of a device already on the network, you'll get a conflict error.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So wait, let me get this straight... I have an NTL cable modem from my last place and that old account still seems to be active (my digital tv box still has all of the channels when plugged in here). So you're telling me that without moving the account I can use it on this new premesis and i'll get a new IP address?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I just realised my last post makes feck all sense... can't be arsed editing it. Don't mind me kids, I'm just knackard.

Advertisement