Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Kenmare ???

Options
  • 22-10-2007 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I am in Kenmare, Co'Kerry and am having real problems with UTV broadband, I have been on a 2 MB package which has been getting progressively slower recently in fact having done several tests it run's as slow as 22.6kbps at times. I have been in contact with UTV & they are now telling me that after doing a line test Eircom tell them the line's are no longer able to cope with speed's of 2 MB and have downgraded my package to 1 MB.
    They also tell me that all the suppliers use the same Eircom lines so I won't get any better with anyone else !

So if this is the case should anyone in Kenmare be paying for anything larger than a 1 MB connection ?

The problem I have now is what to do for broadband. Could anyone in Kenmare tell me what suppler they are with & if they are satisfied with the speed they get ?

I have also considered Vodafone broadband but hear it can vary greatly depending what area you are in. Has anyone any experience with this system in Kenmare ?

At the moment I am having to restrain myself in the language I use to convey my feeling's on this matter :mad: so any reply's, comment's or help anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Cheer's, Thoroughly fed up from Kenmare, Riggwelter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

eircom only send an engineer out when things get very bad ....like a line suddenly falls down because of all the leaves leaning up against it .

have you disconnected everything INCLUDING the filter and run the line stats with just the modem in ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Riggwelter

Hi Sponge Bob,

Re : have you disconnected everything INCLUDING the filter and run the line stats with just the modem in

Excuse the lack of knoledge here :o but do you mean run a speed test on dial-up ? If so it gives me a download speed of 22.5kbps.

Ok I have done that & the results are :

Without filter.
    linestatusah2.jpg

With filter.
    linetesttb1.jpg

ADSL test.
    adsltestyb9.jpg

:confused: & I'm lost with that lot !

Key bits are

Downstream line atten and noise margin

16 atten and 30 margin

total error bits 0

That line is _currently_ capable of 3mbits and no worries

Do you have a time of day when it goes pearshaped , how long does this problem last every day ???

Is it associated with rain , drizzle or sheeting rain ( my own line is affected by drizzle but not driving rain just so you know) ??

Can you get those stats again when its crap.

Post the atten and noise margin as in taking the stats above and presenting the key bits thus.

downstream atten 16/30 Noise Margin
    upstream atten 10/25 Noise margin
    crc error 0

till we see what thats like .

At the moment your line is perfect if you live about 0.8-1km from the exchange .....and its not raining either :p

• Advertisement

I dont know about perfect at the moment it's so slow it's painful :(

The speed is quite good first thing in the morning (around 7.00hrs) & starts getting slower from about 9.00 and get progressively worse untill it would be quicker to send messages by carrier pigeon around 19.00hrs :eek:

Anyway I've done the stats thing again & the results are the same !

I'm wondering why UTV have told me the line is not up to the job if all is ok :confused:

What do I do now ? Riggwelter.

Seems to me like its not the line but the DSL gear in the exchange or the modem .

can you get a different modem and test it with everything unplugged even filters .

just the modem, if its still crap ( and the stats are still OK) its a problem in the exchange on the eircom gear

I will see if I can get hold of another & give it a try.

I have come across another UTV user (in Kenmare) with the same problem so I am not alone in this. Maybe I ought to start a club for the slow folk :rolleyes:

Oh well Modem hunting here we go.

Cheer's, Riggwelter ;)

It could be UTV not having enough backhaul but I suspect that would apply to all of Kerry or even all of Kerry and Cork both .

Can you also find a BT customer and see if its all non eircom suppliers who are affected ??

and eircom netopia modem will do the job, simply borrow one and put in

username
    password
    dns

all on the one screen and it will connect to utv then .

I will check with the neighbours & see who they are with (this may involve a bottle of wine or two . . . . Hic !) I have a mate who is with Eircom so I will see about trying his modem over the weekend.

Could you explain backhaul for me please :)

Many thank's, Riggwelter.

• Advertisement

CONNECTION OUT BACK OF EXCHANGE to big the h-internet , eg not your line or modem

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

hi rigg, why dont you go to the internet cafe above the computer shop and ask them who's their supplier and ask if they have the same problems? I'm sure they could give you some advice but you might have to find the right person in there i.e who knows about the interwebs

Hi TK, I see your point, I will give it a go ;)

hi rigg, why dont you go to the internet cafe above the computer shop and ask them who's their supplier and ask if they have the same problems? I'm sure they could give you some advice but you might have to find the right person in there i.e who knows about the interwebs

Hi Sponge Bob & TK, I've tried another modem and there's no difference :( I then took to the street's and asked a couple of neighbours who also have the same problem, then I spoke to the guy in the internet shop who said the problem is a common one, he added he has shut his shop twice in the last week because it was so bad :eek: apparently Eircom has not got the infrastructure in place to cope with the amount Kenmare has grown in the past few years !

So one could be forgiven for thinking Eircom, UTV and the other's are busy contacting their customer's to inform them of this as well as ceasing to take on new customers until the situation has been rectified . . . . . . . Yeah right ! :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for your help guy's ;) but for now it look's like we are stuck with an inferior service :(

So you were downgraded to 1mbit because Kenmare has no backhaul !

By the same logic EVERYONE should be downgraded to 1mbit becuase there is no backhaul, no matter what operator they are on.

Then when eircom upgrades the backhaul those who wish can upgrade their packages

Selling anyone in Kenmare 2mbits or higher seems to be a complete ripoff when there is no capacity to deliver the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So you were downgraded to 1mbit because Kenmare has no backhaul !

By the same logic EVERYONE should be downgraded to 1mbit becuase there is no backhaul, no matter what operator they are on.

Then when eircom upgrades the backhaul those who wish can upgrade their packages

Selling anyone in Kenmare 2mbits or higher seems to be a complete ripoff when there is no capacity to deliver the speed.

Sponge - you certainly have a point there. I have sent a link to this thread into my contacts at eircom. Hopefully they will take some notice of this and fix the issue asap. I'll let you know if I get any specific information back on this.

Thanks for that Grommet

The issue of backhaul will always raise its head somewhere, it would arise simply because of unprecedented demand in a particular area .

In Kenmare people have no choice apart from DSL .

Yes many thanks Grommet ;) With luck someone will take notice but in the meantime I won't be holding my breath.

As thing's stand here in Kenmare morse code could become a popular option :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thanks for that Grommet

The issue of backhaul will always raise its head somewhere, it would arise simply because of unprecedented demand in a particular area .

In Kenmare people have no choice apart from DSL .

Kerry Broadband cover Kenmare according to their website
    http://www.kerrybroadband.ie/kenmare.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Rash :)

They do show that alright. The connection fee of 199 €uro is a bit steep but the lower contention ratio may make it worthwhile.

I will have to speak to someone who already has it before jumping into a contract so : Has anybody out there any experience with Kerry Broadband in Kenmare ?

Advertisement