Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native american indian dog

Options
  • 22-10-2007 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a breeder or know if they are available in ireland?
    Thanks
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You will pay hundreds if not thousands for one and what makes them special anyway? Would you not rather rehome a homeless dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No offence, lovely Tom, but I'm with Nala on this one.

Why does it have to be the most exotic of exotic breeds (if it even is a breed) that will be difficult as hell to get when there are thousands of native Irish dogs dying every year?

If you're after something that resembles that breed description, get yourself a collie mix. They're clever, independent, have a long history, come in a variety of shapes and colours and if you get an odd looking one you can always make up your own fantasy breed name for it :D

Plus there are hundreds of unwanted ones going spare.

here are a few examples from irishanimals.com:

65_LARA.JPG65_SCOOTER.JPG
    30_Meelick_aug07.jpg10_tip.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Nala wrote: »
    You will pay hundreds if not thousands for one and what makes them special anyway? Would you not rather rehome a homeless dog?

I wish more people thought along those lines - our shelters and pounds wouldn't be bursting at the seams ..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Nala You will pay hundreds if not thousands for one and what makes them special anyway? Would you not rather rehome a homeless dog?

No i'm guessing he wants the dog he requested information about
    Why does it have to be the most exotic of exotic breeds (if it even is a breed) that will be difficult as hell to get when there are thousands of native Irish dogs dying every year?

Because thst is what the OP wants and we can assume he has doen his research and decided this s the dog for him
    I wish more people thought along those lines - our shelters and pounds wouldn't be bursting at the seams .....

Yeah and i wish that when people came on here to ask a genuine question they would be given the answer or advice they requested and not guilted into feeling they should have to go the shelter and rescue a dog!!!!

I also find it very hard to swallow that it is only when somebody wants an unusual dog that the shelter option gets thrown at them

How many more times are we gonna have to go and have this arguement:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

as stupid as it sounds, I had never even thought about rehoming a dog:o... but after looking around that website there is no reason to spend all that money when i can save a dog for free... thanks
    Although if anyone does know a breeder, please let me know
    Tom

racso1975 wrote: »
    Because that [breed] is what the OP wants

Why? What's so great about this particular breed that no other dog has?

I have to laugh at the irony when people go looking for a breed because "they're so unusual looking". Yeah, they're so unusual looking that they just look exactly like thousands of other dogs of the same breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have to laugh at the irony when people go looking for a breed because "they're so unusual looking". Yeah, they're so unusual looking that they just look exactly like thousands of other dogs of the same breed!

Maybe the OP is Native American himself and has owned them in the past, maybe he has his own reasons, maybe they are what he is used to. Laugh away at the unwashed masses. He just asked if anyone knew of a breeder, Peasant pointed him to a website and even bothered to post up some similar dogs with the same traits. He is now considering a rescue, and yet you sneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

LovelyTom wrote: »
    as stupid as it sounds, I had never even thought about rehoming a dog:o... but after looking around that website there is no reason to spend all that money when i can save a dog for free... thanks

Good for you !! :) Now at least one unwanted dog will get a chance at life.

To "RASCO1975" : I accept your points made above, but there's nothing wrong with putting in a plug for unwanted dogs - god knows they need it, and this plug paid off did n't it ? ;)

lightening wrote: »
    Maybe the OP is Native American himself and has owned them in the past, maybe he has his own reasons, maybe they are what he is used to. Laugh away at the unwashed masses. He just asked if anyone knew of a breeder, Peasant pointed him to a website and even bothered to post up some similar dogs with the same traits. He is now considering a rescue, and yet you sneer.

I wasn't sneering at the OP, I was sneering at people who pay hundreds if not thousands for purebred dogs because they seem unusual or out of the ordinary, when they actually look just like the rest of their breed.

• Advertisement

in fairness... why is none of your business... and the look of the dog is not the reason, its to do with its temperment, and the fact that, that breed is known to be rather hypoallergenic and my little brother is a bit allergic to dogs... and because they are beautiful dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi there,

there is a pretty long list of hypoallergenic dog breeds:

Hypoallergenic dog breeds
    Airedale Terrier
    American Hairless Terrier
    Basenji
    Bedlington Terrier
    Bergamasco
    Bichon Frisé
    Bolognese
    Border Terrier
    Bouvier des Flandres
    Cairn Terrier
    Chacy Ranior
    Chinese Crested
    Coton De Tulear
    Fox Terrier (Wire)
    Hairless Khala
    Havanese
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Kerry Blue Terrier
    Lagotto Romagnolo
    Lhasa Apso
    Maltese
    Miniature Poodle
    Miniature Schnauzer
    Native American Indian Dog
    Peruvian Inca Orchid
    Portuguese Water Dog
    Puli
    Scottish Terrier
    Shih Tzu
    Silky Terrier
    Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
    Spanish Water Dog
    Standard Poodle
    Standard Schnauzer
    Tibetan Terrier
    Toy Poodle
    Welsh Terrier
    West Highland White Terrier
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Xoloitzcuintle

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breeds

Some of which are quite common :).

...the fact that, that breed is known to be rather hypoallergenic and my little brother is a bit allergic to dogs...

Do you know what your brother is allergic to?

Is it hair or something else?

If it's hair, then there aren't that many options as pretty much all dogs shed except for poodles and some of their mixes or other "water" dogs like the Water Spaniel or the Barbet.

EDIT:
    just having seen Egars post, I stand corrected :D

If its something else (me for example, I'm very mildly allergic to cats, but not their hair, its their saliva) you'd better bring your brother along when selecting a dog to see if he reacts or not.

Because it wouldn't relly be fair to take a dog home only to have to send it back again after a few days because the allergic reaction is too strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

racso1975 wrote: »
    not guilted into feeling they should have to go the shelter and rescue a dog!!!!

I agree completely. Ask a question about a breed and get condescending replies telling you to rescue a dog.

Bicky wrote: »
    I agree completely. Ask a question about a breed and get condescending replies telling you to rescue a dog.

Well, in my case the recommendation to consider a rescue dog was given for the following reasons:

- the Native American Indian Dog (NAID) is not an internationally recognised breed

- a few enthusiastic NAID breeders have set up their own club and recognised themselves ...and they all seem to be in America

- the breed 'standard' is sufficiently nondescript that you could pass all manner of dogs a a NAID

- The chance of finding a breeder here is nil

- the likelyhood that any NAID that you buy for mega-bucks from the US is actually what it is supposed to be, is very small ..it could very well be some unsual looking mongrel that just got the name NAID

Taking all that into account you might as well get an unusal looking dog from the local rescue and tell everyone that is is a NAID that you bought for 30.000 Dollars from the US ....nobody would be able to tell the difference and there'd be one less dead dog here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

We don't always know people's backgrounds when they go looking for a dog. Not everyone comes from a 'doggy' background and are genuinly unaware that there are thousands of unwanted pups and adults in slelters around the country. I never think it does any harm to throw in the suggestion, some people just don't realise it's a viable option for them.
    At least that's why I always suggest it ...

Thanks for that EGAR, I'll have a look at some of those breeds :)

Glowing wrote: »
    At least that's why I always suggest it ...

Ah yeah, fair play to you, its a good idea, most people on here do just that. However, sneering and "having to laugh at the irony" (not you glowing) at people will just put them off asking peoples advice alltogether, decide (not unfairly) that some people are pretty contemptuous and go out and get a dog not suited to them.

Instead of sneering at people who spend money on dogs, try and kindly convince them to do otherwise Nala.

in fairness... why is none of your business... and the look of the dog is not the reason, its to do with its temperment, and the fact that, that breed is known to be rather hypoallergenic and my little brother is a bit allergic to dogs... and because they are beautiful dogs

Excuse me but animal welfare is everyone's business. As for me being consdescending- I wasn't. Maybe it's other people's guilt about spending a fortune on dogs that makes them so defensive when anyone mentions stopping a homeless dog from being killed instead.

You go and spend hundreds, even thousands on some American unrecognised "breed" just because it has a good temperament and hypoallergenic, despite the fact there are so many breeds you can actually find over here for a much more reasonable price that are also hypoallergenic and have a good temperment. Maybe the other breeds don't sound impressive enough.

It's the breeders of this "breed" that are laughing- while on their way to the bank.

Excuse me

I hope he excuses you for your behaviour. Having to laugh at peoples questions in a field that they don't know much about is not very nice.

• Advertisement

I hope he also excuses me for trying to stop him wasting hundreds/thousands on some breed that isn't even recognised. He could spend a fortune getting one of those dogs shipped over and his brother could be allergic to it. Besides I just thought it would be nice if he gave a small release fee for a pound dog that really needs it rather than hundreds to some breeder.

Apologies to anyone who took offence to my suggestion of rescuing a dog, there were only 16,546 dogs killed in 2005! Let's all breed a few more!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

No one has a duty to adopt dogs from a shelter. It's not the OPs fault that Ireland has loads of dogs in shelters, nor that our rate for killing unwanted dogs is poor.

Once I have the time and space I'd love to have a Leonberger and/or a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, if not a few more. If these particular breeds are present at a shelter and I'm satisfied as to their temperament etc then I'd consider homing them. This is probably unlikely, and so I'll buy them from as reputable a breeder as I can find.

Apologies to anyone who took offence to my suggestion of rescuing a dog, blah blah blah...

You are missing the point Nala, you need to apologise to your rudeness and your attitude. Nobody takes offence to your suggestions. Please, just try and be a bit more grown up.

bugler wrote: »
    No one has a duty to adopt dogs from a shelter. It's not the OPs fault that Ireland has loads of dogs in shelters, nor that our rate for killing unwanted dogs is poor.

Once I have the time and space I'd love to have a Leonberger and/or a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, if not a few more. If these particular breeds are present at a shelter and I'm satisfied as to their temperament etc then I'd consider homing them. This is probably unlikely, and so I'll buy them from as reputable a breeder as I can find.

No, it is not the OP's fault, but that doesn't mean he can't be part of the solution by rescuing a dog.

If more people suggested rehoming dogs then maybe there wouldn't be so many in the pounds waiting to be destroyed.
    I do believe we have a moral duty to save innocent dogs from being killed, saying "it's not my fault" does not do any good apart from maybe making yourself feel better about forking out a few hundred on a purebred.

If only people spent so much money donating to shelters rather than buying purebreds. Anyway this thread has gone off topic.

lightening wrote: »
    You are missing the point Nala, you need to apologise to your rudeness and your attitude. Nobody takes offence to your suggestions. Please, just try and be a bit more grown up.

I see you replaced my "16,546 dogs killed in 2005" with "blah, blah, blah". Good to see how much you care about all those dead dogs. I'm sure they are nothing but "blah"'s to all the pound staff who looked after them aswell. Let alone all the rescues who put in time and mone into trying to save them.

I do my bit Nala, believe me. Just because I don't brag and whine about it, doesn't mean I don't do my bit, I have rehomed a number of dogs after minding them for months.

Again your missing the point, your sneering and your having to laugh at the op is just going to put him off asking "experts" advice. You are better off (you could take this advice in life too ;)) being nice about it, not laughing at people if they are not familiar with the subject.

Maybe if you pointed him in the right direction in a nicer way, posted up some pics, stopped laughing at him and deriding him, he would consider an unwanted dog.

Thats all, I do care about dogs, I don't care much for your attitude. :)

I will leave it at that.

Great, enjoy your "blah's", as you kindly refer to rescue dogs.

As for the OP, I am not sure how you can tell from his original post that he is not familiar with dogs, but maybe you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Can I suggest that you all take a deep breath :)...

I run a rescue and I often get calls/emails from people asking for advice about acquiring a certain breed. I help if I can and have met brilliant people through my work. One of my best fosterers ever for young/sick puppies is a breeder.

Not too long ago someone posted on here asking for an APBT pup, I replied and wasn't very nice as I thought he was a bit of a muppet (sorry, David :D). But once I got to know him and his OH I was delighted to rehome a dog to him, NOT a pup but an APBT all the same.

It is easy to misread or misinterpret an initial post and not all posts which sound like the poster is a bit of a ****** are actually meant that way.

Alot of it has to do with the lack of information available.

In the 10 years since I have founded and run EGAR I have learnt the HARD way that it is easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar :D.

I hope I don't sound too patronising, I have just tried to explain my experience in that field when dealing with members of the public looking for a specific breed/dog/pup.

You go and spend hundreds, even thousands on some American unrecognised "breed" just because it has a good temperament and hypoallergenic, despite the fact there are so many breeds you can actually find over here for a much more reasonable price that are also hypoallergenic and have a good temperment. Maybe the other breeds don't sound impressive enough.

maybe i will but whats that got to do with adopting a dog... did you not realise that i was looking for a breeder... like in ireland... so if i got what i wanted it would be over here... but it seems that there aren't any in ireland and thats all i wanted to know... there is no need to be so defensive and aggresive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

I am Native American myself. And let me tell you, these dogs are only 'recreations' of the NAIDs. True NAID's are bred from Wolves(as are most dogs. But Native American dogs were not far removed from the North American Gray Wolf - http://www.cosmosmith.com/gray_wolves.html ). In the States we call the modern version of these dogs "hyBrids" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfdog - note how similar the OP's dog appears. They are VERY dangerous, and unpredictable compared to typical domestic dogs. They only make pets for those with a good amount of land, and a good amount of experience with the breed. What you get in Europe is a European interpretation of this dog. Which, looking at the dog info I can find on the internet, is nothing like the dogs the Native Americans had(which varied greatly, as well, BTW).

If you were to ask me, and you haven't, it is a gimmick to sell dogs. The OP subject is a breed made specifically for it's looks, and then given a misleading label.

WYK
    Southern Cherokee
    Texas, USA.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    Good for you !! :) Now at least one unwanted dog will get a chance at life.

To "RASCO1975" : I accept your points made above, but there's nothing wrong with putting in a plug for unwanted dogs - god knows they need it, and this plug paid off did n't it ? ;)

Advertisement