Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Speed increases may be on the way :)

Options
  • 22-10-2007 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just got a call from my account manager in Eircom (we're on the Business Enhanced (6Mb/512Kb) package in here) and he told me that they're rolling out 16Mb/2Mb to business users in Dublin over the next few months. I almost fell off my chair in shock..hopefully it won't be long after till it percolates down proportionately to the home users too.

I just have a quick question...we use a Cisco 827 adsl modem, and from my googling, it would appear it doesn't support ADSL2. If I were to get a newer one (an 877 perhaps), how easy is it to swap configuration scripts from one to the other?

I know bugger all about Cisco scripting, but I'm guessing I'd need to use the same config to preserve our static IP / VPN settings etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Thats great news!!! Although I doubt it will effect home users for at least 6 months if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yakuza wrote: »
    I just have a quick question...we use a Cisco 827 adsl modem, and from my googling, it would appear it doesn't support ADSL2. If I were to get a newer one (an 877 perhaps), how easy is it to swap configuration scripts from one to the other?
    Easy peasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Everyone knows they are coming (to the 5 urban centers), the problem is the time frame. Pretty obvious that he called so he can string you along waiting for a speed increase rather than go to another provider with higher speed in the mean time. A few months can mean anything with eircom when you see how long it takes some of the things they say to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

16/2 is VDSL2 type speed. No VDSL2 will be rolled out until Comreg lets them do so because it affects LLU exchanges. Thats well into next year or even 2009 .

If you email the guy I bet he will not email you with that statement , only on the phone nod nod eh wink nod ....

This announcement is to stop BT taking customers off them because BT are doing 8/1 for LESS THAN 1/4 THE PRICE of eircom 6/0.5 and are about to start an advertising campaign. Thats 40 a month vs 169 a month , all ex vat. So you can upgrade in a lot of Dublin today and save €124 a month . Just ring BT :)

If you believe eircom you possibly forgot to read about this other tech truckroll here :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got excited for a second when I saw the title untill I read it might be for business users in the 5 main cities. I cant see us poor folk in the countryside getting much out of this even if it does roll out to everybody in the cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The BT 8mb is capped isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

No new news on this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

The BT 8mb is capped isn't it?
    Nope, but its up to 8MB depending on distance from the exchange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that BT 8mb is fek all use to most us coz its only available for a handfull of exchanges/customers mostly in Dublin City and is BT's own broadband not BT's Eircom flavoured resold broadband. What we'd love to hear is some credible 'insider' information/breaking news about eircom upgrading the speed of their 'home' packages that will effect the majority of us. Their used to be an eircom guy posting on these boards a few years back and he broke the news of the first few upgrades here on boards, everything he said turned out to be true each time. What we need is some sort of news like that, that will give us hope of eventually seeing upgrades:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 michael.oleary

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    16/2 is VDSL2 type speed

ADSL2+ can achieve these rates. Sure look at the residental package Magnet Networks used to offer. 24 Mb/s downstream (although it was ridiculusly expensive)

http://www.magnet.ie/news/27-11-05.shtml

Gonzo wrote: »
    Their used to be an eircom guy posting on these boards a few years back and he broke the news of the first few upgrades here on boards, everything he said turned out to be true each time. What we need is some sort of news like that, that will give us hope of eventually seeing upgrades:)

He probably got fired :) for saying too much

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anyone else get horrible disappointed with the thread title, or was it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Cremo wrote: »
    anyone else get horrible disappointed with the thread title, or was it just me?
    Yes! If only they would up the upload speed I'd be happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ADSL2+ can achieve these rates.

http://www.magnet.ie/news/27-11-05.shtml

Can it ???, 16/2 I had thought it couldn't . Must check :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

yeah I thought ADSL2+ could achieve 24MB down, but heard elsewhere that it would be unlikely to get those speeds in a widespread ISP Service - so maybe 16MB is the real achieveable speed........we'll see, would be great to get a decent upload speed on the Eircom business package.....

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Can it ???, 16/2 I had thought it couldn't . Must check :rolleyes:

Yeah it can but then again, from my experience of it there are shag all lines that can achieve these rates anyone I saw getting these rates (or even remotely close was within 1 km of the exchange or less, my experience has yet to prove other wisely. Although I believe magnet can achieve it on fibre if you are lucky to live in a FTTH area.

Advertisement