Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having a cold while pregnant

Options
  • 22-10-2007 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I'm 27 weeks pregnant, and have a stinker of a cold. I have a cough that would wake the dead, and I was wondering does anyone know of anything safe that would help ease it. I've been living on Halls Soothers, and while they are wonderful, they don't help in the long run. I'm exhausted from all this coughing, and my back is beginning to hurt. I don't want to be on anti biotics......they are no use for a cold, but it is getting really annoying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Ask your pharmacist next time you go in for your Halls Soothers. My sympathies, nothing worse than a cold that hangs on and on.

Also, have you tried making your own hot lemon drinks? Squeeze a lemon and stir the juice into hot/boiling water with a bit of honey. No drugs in that (so should suit pregnancy) and it can be very soothing and give you an extra boost of vitamin C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I second kashi - hot lemon drinks. I had a cold during pregnancy as well and found that no one (chemists, gp, etc) would advise on any other treatments b/c of the fear that it'll interfere w/ the pregnancy.

So I had lots of warm water w/ lemon & honey. The honey soothes the coughing and the warm water is the homeopathic treatment for colds.

Having said that, I understand lemsips are ok in small doses, so if you need an extra boost one may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Kashi - Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. While the advice given by dame & ayla is relatively sound - your health & that of your child is too important to leave to strangers on the interweb.

Get in touch directly with a health professional (pharmacist/doctor/whatever) in your area for professional advice on curing your cold.

Best of luck & I hope that you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes, defo get to a doc to ask the question.
    My sis lost her baby due to a cold. The baby was younger than your though.
    For her, it was a catch 22, if the doc didn't prescribe her something, the cold could kill the baby, if he did prescribe something, the medicine could kill the baby.
    In the end, she was prescribed something. The baby died. Not sure which caused it.

so, although yours is older, it's not something to be taken lightly. Go to the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did finally cave and go to the doctor. He actually prescribed an inhaler! Still no improvement, but it's only been a day. Work has even given out to me, and told me I should be home in bed. I'd rather not miss work, but if it helped, it would def be worth it. I'm going to consume some hot lemon and honey drinks (homemade only) to boost my vitamin c intake and see if it helps as well. Other than that, all I can do is wait.

Thanks again:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement