Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options
  • 22-10-2007 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I am in fith year now, and i have decided i want to take up music instead of art!

i currently play the piano and have been for the past seven years. I talked to a teacher who organises the moving of subjects today at school! She said that it would be very hard to take up leaving cert music after not have done it for the junior cert! Can anyone please tell me if this is right? and what exactly is so hard about doing the music course!

A girl in one of the music classes in my year asked me did i no a few of these music terms and i knew none! is it hard to get a grasp of the theory? Im sure i wont have a problem with the practical though!

please help!! xxxx :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

wanabmodel wrote: »
    I am in fith year now, and i have decided i want to take up music instead of art!

i currently play the piano and have been for the past seven years. I talked to a teacher who organises the moving of subjects today at school! She said that it would be very hard to take up leaving cert music after not have done it for the junior cert! Can anyone please tell me if this is right? and what exactly is so hard about doing the music course!

A girl in one of the music classes in my year asked me did i no a few of these music terms and i knew none! is it hard to get a grasp of the theory? Im sure i wont have a problem with the practical though!

please help!! xxxx :(:(
    Well your teacher has a lot coming to her. It is very possible to do Music for Leaving Cert without having done it during the Junior Cert. It is probably one of the easiest subjects to take up!

1. You play the piano - Practical is worth 50%!
    2. You study Mozart/Berlioz - which I'm sure you have come across in your piano playing?
    3. The rest is chord construction melody writing and listening.

Theory only really plays a part in the listening paper and a bit in the composing paper. Theory can be learned by doing some work from a book like Soundscapes. Go and show your teacher that it can be done and get a good grade for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I didn't do music for the JC and I'm doing it for the LC. No bother if you already play an instrument.
    I've done grade 5 theory though, but really there's not an awful lot of theory in it for LC. Some terms yes, but you'd learn those things while you're studying your set works anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Same story here.
    I didnt do it for the JC either.
    Granted, i have been doing Piano & Theory up to grade 5 in DIT, but i stopped when i was in 1st year.

I know the main basics, but you should know that from piano - lines and spaces, key signatures, intervals, cadences etc.

If you work at it, you should do well.

50% for your practical, you can do 6 piano pieces, or do 4 + music technology (which is v. v. easy =] )
    25% for aural skills, listening to pieces and analysing them
    25% for written. harmonies, cadences, etc.

Im in 5th year now, and finding it quite do-able, even though i am a little rusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I'd echo what everyone has said, if you've been playing piano for seven years you shouldn't have much trouble. Practical, melody writing, and backing chords make up the majority of the marks, and Mozart/Berlioz/Beatles are pretty easy. Their pittance in marks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I did music for the leaving cert without doing it for the JC and I got a high grade. Music in general is not an easy subject, there is a lot of theory. I've been playing the piano for 12 years and I found that I was basically on par with the other people in the class after a couple of weeks. It will come easy enough to you so don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Paristocrat

Go for it.
    over 95% of students sitting the paper get honours!!! even if you fail both written papers and sit the practical you will get your C3.!!! The standard for the practical is what you would have learned in 5 years of study at your instrument (about a very good grade 4) Just pick 6 pieces you can play really really well and your on the pigs back.

If the music teacher in your school is hesitant about letting you into the class then possibly agree to get a few extra lessons from a teacher outside school hours and maybe it might change their mind if they see your willing to put in the effort.

Some music schools and private teachers run Leaving cert music courses for students like yourself check out this search site wwwlearnmusic.info .
    If you're in the dublin area ones I can think of offhand are Waltons/Ashfield/Tutorial.
    Be warned ...Don't leave it till 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

If you know anything worth knowing about music theory you'll be alright. Just put in the work. A lot is learning off by heart.

Advertisement