Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers down by Southend pitch.

• 22-10-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Dropping someone off at Southend the other day and I see all the travellers parked up on the side of the road. There was dozens of them. When I eventually got through the road passing the todlers playin with sticks I see a fire and a woman going over to it throwing breadrolls into it and a nappy. I was looked at whilst I drove past as I assume everyone is. These people were treating the place like it was a dump, Why in the right mind would anyone pay millions for these people. They would surely wreck that place too. Really pity them, I think the Govt. should put in place a course that changes their view to the world, an inegration course. Then maybe give them a house. I seriously would not like to be living anywhere near them. What is the situation here, are they not left back into Kilbarry? Is it that there thrown out until their new 'development' is finished?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I feel your pain steven... but the bottem line is we can't segregate or discriminate. As members of the traveling community will no doubt let you know, they have rights too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

yeah they have the right to not pay any taxes or make any positive contribution to our society, wreck our green areas...... :rolleyes:

They have no respect for our society at all and yet we're seeing their sob stories in the local papers every week, as if they have been gravely wronged etc. They don't deserve anything, they choose to live the way they live. And those who were evicted weren't supposed to be there in the first place, yet they claim city council is responsible for sorting out new accomodation for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Since when are you allowed burn Nappies?

Yes, I totally agree with you in every respect but it's the majority people of Ireland that will say exactly what you're saying and never do anything. They will keep there mouth shut in case they say the wrong thing and something happens to them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Since when are you allowed burn Nappies?

There not, its illegal burning and littering and its against the law no matter who you are...unless you have a license for either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I have a business in Dublin, I have a lock-up unit with tools and machinery, I have weekly “interactions” with the travelling community as they try to rob me blind.

“it’s our culture boss!” and “its discrimination boss!” doesn’t wash with me.

This country jailed Padraig Nally after he shot a scumbag who terrorised him for years.
    I was thrilled when the poor man was released.

Regardless of race, creed or colour, it’s time these people are exposed for what they are ,professional criminals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was about to say it. but spadder got there before me.

the line is "It's our Culture."

I don't buy it I don't think it's right, that anyone should get away with it. That includes fly-tippers and some of them are not part of the travelling community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

spadder wrote: »
    I have a business in Dublin, I have a lock-up unit with tools and machinery, I have weekly “interactions” with the travelling community as they try to rob me blind.

“it’s our culture boss!” and “its discrimination boss!” doesn’t wash with me.

This country jailed Padraig Nally after he shot a scumbag who terrorised him for years.
    I was thrilled when the poor man was released.

Regardless of race, creed or colour, it’s time these people are exposed for what they are ,professional criminals!
    I have a poster of him up in my bedroom, legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dj_quinn

As an American who has lived in Ireland quite a few years now, I cannot get my head around the Traveling community. I see them in public, at People's Park beating on each other and ussing foul language and just generally about as antisocial as it gets, and the pig styes they live in.
    As a culture, when you show no respect for laws or other people and yet demand that others must respect your culture you have negated any argument.

The problem with shooting pj nally style is that it doesn't work it would just lead to retaliation after retaliation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

This might turn into a Tony Martin & PJ Nally thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kensutz wrote: »
    This might turn into a Tony Martin & PJ Nally thread.

It already has, sorry lads brute force is just not to answer to these things

Well, what is? Paying the convoy so they'll leave your land? (So you don't have to wait to go through the courts) or perhaps we should just appease them and let them into our houses when they're trying to sell the neighbours gate to us and the next day find them selling our sofa to our neighbours. As spadder said, they're nothing but professional criminals who have played the discrimination card a little too often for us even consider respecting it anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

trishw78 wrote: »
    The problem with shooting pj nally style is that it doesn't work it would just lead to retaliation after retaliation.

Yeah, but there's more of us than them, so they'ld "run out of numbers" first.
    Like cancer, sometimes you need to remove some healthy tissue too.

yeah but if you get rid of them something much worse will replace them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I have given this topic a small clean up, as I don't want any posts on how to "deal with" travellers on land using methods which are illegal. While I understand peoples frustrations towards the travellers I will not permit any type of illegal discussion. Therefore, posts discussing / referring to dealing them using force will not be permitted.

Those who ignore this warning, will be banned. I'm sorry, but I wont have any form of illegal discussion. If you want to discuss this matter further, im available over PM and gladly discuss it further with anyone.

Thanks for understanding. Lets continue the discussion on topic in a civil manner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I understand this is a very emotive issue, and people get emotional because they had property taken or damaged by travellers.

The way to deal with travellers is the way the CAB dealt with john Gilligan.
    Clamp down on their illegal trades. The cops should be at every mart and fair in the country looking for stolen or illegally imported products.
    If they cannot prove how they financed their fleet of 07 jeeps. Seize them.

We, the tax payers, are the ones who are being discriminated against boss!

If I don’t pay my taxes, I get a visit form the sheriff and I will end up in Jail.
    If I drive vehicles without tax or insurance I will end up in Jail.
    If I sold tools and equipment with no invoices or proof of ownership, I will end up in jail.
    If I wreck pubs and hotels, I will end up in Jail (and I wouldn’t really feel discriminated against if they refuse me entry in the future.)
    I have never looked for a free house from the state.

If you choose to live in a caravan, that’s your lifestyle choice. if you want to live in the state, pay your taxes and abide by the law of the land and don’t expect a handout because of the way you choose to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They destroyed the grass in the IDA estate, tore the place assunder and then did a belter a few weeks later, leaving all their rubbish behind them. Same on the road up the back of my house a few months back. The Garda should be able to move them away on the day, without question. The fact that they are permitted up to whatever amount of time it is before they can be moved on is idiotic.

As individuals, I have met some decent travellers. God help me, I'd hate to discriminate against an entire collective of people, but overall - I feel travellers are bothersome. They rarely ever abide by the laws, and the kids intimidate and rob youths all the time.

A bad apple isn't called a bad apple because it's ripe. I think this is a case where they warrant whatever criticism they receive. In saying that, there is some scum in the settled community too who could do with some lessons in social reality too.

They destroyed the grass in the IDA estate, tore the place assunder and then did a belter a few weeks later, leaving all their rubbish behind them.

It's "petty" things like this that really annoy me. It costs the council money everytime they have to clean up things like this and it lessens the ability of the Council to provide for services to those who actually pay their taxes and are in genuine need of assistance. It mightn't sound like much, but it all adds up and you can be sure that the travellers haven't the intention to pay for the clean up - no, they're already halfway up the country in their brandnew cars but for some reason, ageing caravans!

If we want to get onto a debate with regards to the gov and councils wasting money on things lets not forget that non-travellers living in houses can be just as bad in relation to littering, damage to property and stolen property.

Its also worth noting that they can also abuse state benefits,

If I applied my experience with alot of these people I'd label everyone in council estates as scumbags, but in fairness thats just braindead to do that and its not fair to the decent foke out there either...so I don't label people in this way :)

Its not fair to tar all travellers with the same brush, give people a chance until they prove you otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Surely people involved with Southend are not happy with this. Has anybody been out there since monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

dlofnep wrote: »
    They destroyed the grass in the IDA estate, tore the place assunder and then did a belter a few weeks later, leaving all their rubbish behind them. Same on the road up the back of my house a few months back. The Garda should be able to move them away on the day, without question. The fact that they are permitted up to whatever amount of time it is before they can be moved on is idiotic.

As individuals, I have met some decent travellers. God help me, I'd hate to discriminate against an entire collective of people, but overall - I feel travellers are bothersome. They rarely ever abide by the laws, and the kids intimidate and rob youths all the time.

A bad apple isn't called a bad apple because it's ripe. I think this is a case where they warrant whatever criticism they receive. In saying that, there is some scum in the settled community too who could do with some lessons in social reality too.

they only moved accross the the road to the other estate they're outside nickys furniture now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

south wrote: »
    they only moved accross the the road to the other estate they're outside nickys furniture now

It's called giving two fingers to the law....and to society. The Government needs to act quickly with legislation. Take them off the road altogether....and make it a jailing offence for these encampments. However, I wonder is the fact that there will soon be a Halt...sorry - Social Housing Scheme:rolleyes: - located on the Carrickphierish Road a driving factor here. Bees around honey, etc.

Corpo did a great job there. A Halting Site and two Council schemes...together. Social Inclusion is an admirable concept. Pople ignore the fact that it doesn't - and cannot - work. It's always funny that these trials are set up far away from those in power who propose them in the first place.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭spockpower

i was trainin in southend last night and they put a car on fire outside the gates in the play area thing. and they have done the same the last three weeks i think , always burning down cars outside.we are so used to it now we dont even notice:rolleyes::rolleyes:

spockpower wrote: »
    i was trainin in southend last night and they put a car on fire outside the gates in the play area thing. and they have done the same the last three weeks i think , always burning down cars outside.we are so used to it now we dont even notice:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Looking out for you on those cold autumn evenings keeping you warm!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I wonder are these cars stolen ? Or do they just like burning there own property ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

From the area myself. It has been in the newspapers and on the radio over the last few weeks how these travellers were evicted from the Kilbarry halting site and are now forced to live on the Ballybeg Link Road.

Before the travellers were evicted from the halting site there was already a large number of them living on the link road. These travellers had the best of caravans, 07 cars & SUVs, generators for electricity etc (one caravan I passed had a 42" plasma tv hanging up inside :eek:.)

While they were on the side of the road they destroyed the place. Constant dumping of rubbish in the adjacent fields, burning out cars, bonfires at the side of the road, children running out on the road from behind caravans, breaking down fences and burning them and most disgusting of all they left dead donkeys & horses rot in the fields beside them (this has been verified).

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for these people as they bring a lot of their problems on themselves. They constantly expect the state to hand them everything yet they have no respect for the law or the community they live in.

I also blame the council for this mess as they were happy to have all the travellers out in Ballybeg (out of sight, out of mind) and they made no attempt to improve conditions at the halting site. If this was anywhere else in the city there would be uproar.

People in this area have put up with this problem for the last 30 years. It is time for the council face up to it's responsibilities for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

south wrote: »

Yeah I saw that the other day. It's a never-ending battle man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

it looked like four cars on fire yesterday evening in the field behind them..now i'm not saying it was any of them but this was at half four yesterday. four in the one field.They cleaned the field out only a few weeks ago and it’s starting to build up down there again....

• Advertisement
Advertisement