Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendations for Sligo Weekend...

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

I am bringing my wife away to Sligo for her birthday and have booked to stay in the Glasshouse (heard mixed reviews but cant beat the location).

Anyway, I want to treat her to a nice spa day and dinner in the town so does anyone have any recomendations? Preferably close enough to the town centre.

Much appreciated All!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could take her to the seaweed baths out in Strandhill. They are meant to be good but it's a good bit out. For dinner, you could take her to the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Hi. Sligo is short on decent restaurants so don't take any chances and book Donaghy's aka Coach Lane near the train station or Mont Marte in the market yard. Fiddlers creek isn't bad either but you would definitely need to book any of these now as they do get booked out especially for a Saturday night. My personal fave is Donaghys but all good in their own way.
    The only spa in or near town is the Clarion hotel spa but the Raddisson is only a few km out and also meant to have a great thermal suite although I haven't been there myself.
    Hope you enjoy Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

lubie76 wrote: »
    Hi. Sligo is short on decent restaurants

Wouldn't agree with that! You named a good few there but there are more!
    The Embassy Rooms, Bistro Bianconi, Caesers, Yeats Tavern but to mention a few...

Anyway. Enjoy your weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

From a food/drink point of view have a look at Post 235 onwards.

As for something to do. Plenty of Spas, the seaweeds baths of Strandhill have a very good rep.

Depending on the weekend/dates you're coming, ye might be able to catch something from SligoLive. Or are ye into the World Rally? Another option might be the Hawks Well Theater or some other show around the town.
    http://www.modelart.ie/
    http://www.blueraincoat.com/
    http://www.sligorovers.com/
    am...
    Anyone with any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was at Donaghy's aka Coach Lane near the train station last weekend. food was fantastic as usual and great value.

However there were several Hen parties in it at the time so it was noisy.

Waiter was saying that they were all going to the velvet room afterwards as they had free entry for hen partys before 11:00.

We were there at 9ish might be quieter earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Thanks for the ideas guys should be loads to keep me busy for the weekend!

I am going at the end of November so hopefully there will be plenty availability left.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for the ideas guys should be loads to keep me busy for the weekend!

I am going at the end of November so hopefully there will be plenty availability left.
    If you're stuck for something to eat Gillie is a dab hand at the chips and fish fingers ;)

muffler wrote: »
    If you're stuck for something to eat Gillie is a dab hand at the chips and fish fingers ;)

I actually trained as a chef believe it or not...

...but wasn't very good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Just returned from a lovely weekend in Sligo town. I must say I was well impressed with the Glasshouse, lovely hotel and the location couldnt be better. Ate there Friday night and was lovely.

But best of all about the weekend was dinner in the Montmarte, fantastic restaraunt, service and food was top class. Will definately be back to Sligo again to sample these places again.

Cheers for the reccomendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Just returned from a lovely weekend in Sligo town. I must say I was well impressed with the Glasshouse, lovely hotel and the location couldnt be better. Ate there Friday night and was lovely.

But best of all about the weekend was dinner in the Montmarte, fantastic restaraunt, service and food was top class. Will definately be back to Sligo again to sample these places again.

Cheers for the reccomendations.

Yay! :D Some positive feedback about our beloved town :)

You know what to do now...spread the word! Hehe - good to hear you had a nice weekend!

Isn't Sligo such a lovely little spot? ;)

• Advertisement

Nice spot alright. Ate in it many times.

Advertisement