Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom offers free WiFi access

• 22-10-2007 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Eircom today said it is offering free WiFi access at 1,000 points around the country to all new and existing Eircom broadband customers.

As part of the six- month online promotion, eircom broadband customers can sign up for a wireless subscription at eircom.ie/hotspot where they will receive an individual username and password.

Existing wireless subscription customers who have broadband on their account are automatically included in the promotion.

The wireless broadband hotspot locations allow users to access their emails, files and surf the Internet away from their home or office.

They include more than 240 hotels, 121 restaurants, 270 pubs, 6 airports, 240 payphones and 50 entertainment and sports grounds across Ireland.

Commenting on the announcement, Debbie Byrne, Marketing Director, Consumer Market, Eircom said "This announcement comes as part of our "Get More with eircom Broadband" campaign. We are committed to maximising the many opportunities that broadband can offer. We want to remind our customers of the flexibility that broadband can offer in both their work and home lives. Eircom broadband customers do not have to be at home or in the office to access the Internet, this offer allow them to do it at a time and in a place that suits them - for free!".
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ac00785 wrote: »
    Eircom today said it is offering free WiFi access at 1,000 points around the country to all new and existing Eircom broadband customers.

As part of the six- month online promotion, eircom broadband customers can sign up for a wireless subscription at eircom.ie/hotspot where they will receive an individual username and password.

Existing wireless subscription customers who have broadband on their account are automatically included in the promotion.

The wireless broadband hotspot locations allow users to access their emails, files and surf the Internet away from their home or office.

They include more than 240 hotels, 121 restaurants, 270 pubs, 6 airports, 240 payphones and 50 entertainment and sports grounds across Ireland.

Commenting on the announcement, Debbie Byrne, Marketing Director, Consumer Market, Eircom said "This announcement comes as part of our "Get More with eircom Broadband" campaign. We are committed to maximising the many opportunities that broadband can offer. We want to remind our customers of the flexibility that broadband can offer in both their work and home lives. Eircom broadband customers do not have to be at home or in the office to access the Internet, this offer allow them to do it at a time and in a place that suits them - for free!".
    :cool:

That is a pretty sweet offer. Will they charge anything after the initial six months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Anyone have any idea what radius you have to be from the payphones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

i tried it at a phonebox last year - crap. happier now just using 3 broadband on my phone when travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

johnfás wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what radius you have to be from the payphones?

I used it at the brian boru ,pub car park (in my car) .The phone box was accross the street and the road was very busy. 120FT.

I was getting about 1.5mbps. I think it dropped once ,but my windows were closed aswell:D

It's handy ,but I wouldn't rely on it for anything important. It's too sparse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Very handy for the airport. Any links for the full location list?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

i do not know what's the big deal?
    every civilized country has free hotspots....

long live eircom

It needs to be upgraded drastically ,to be as useful as it should be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Free until April 2008

Handy if you live near a phone box and know someone who has an eircom account you could borrow,

Do they check if the same "customer" is on more than on hotspot at at time ;) ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Free until April 2008

Handy if you live near a phone box and know someone who has an eircom account you could borrow,

Do they check if the same "customer" is on more than on hotspot at at time ;) ?

Well you could have two people using the same broadband connection in the one house so it shouldn't matter.

Well you could have two people using the same broadband connection in the one house so it shouldn't matter.

Thats one big house :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Thats one big house :D

Both me and my sister regularly use the internet at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is there a download limit?

if not i could see people sitting on top of phone boxes :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So anyone wanna post a username / password then???:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Cheers, OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bit strange them announcing that before they fixed the security compromise in the password algorithm on the WiFi units. Are they trying to encourage crackers to try to get lots of free internets ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Hs anyone tried their account yet. I tried on my iPod Touch today at a phonebox but i got and invalid username error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Well, when we signed up we got an email back with these details:

Username:
    Password:

Good ol' Eircom. Feel free to use them, guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

amull87 wrote: »
    Hs anyone tried their account yet. I tried on my iPod Touch today at a phonebox but i got and invalid username error

Same with me, tried it with my ipod touch in malahide and got a invalid username/password error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Same with me, tried it with my ipod touch in malahide and got a invalid username/password error.

Tried again today and it worked. It's case sensitive so that is probably your problem. It's going to be seriously handy waiting at the bus stop in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭maurice1

So Anyone figured out how to get a Login & password - Tried the email route as my phone is with eircom but it didn't work!

Would be handy as the local pub has eircom hotspot - Spoke to the owner two weeks ago to change it to a no hassle open network like some of the other good pubs around - He is thinking abut it!

But at €3/half hour I would really like to get a login & Pass.

If no one is using theirs a PM would be appreciated!

Maurice

Advertisement