Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford: aircon keeps switching on

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Seems to be Ford preference to automatically turn on the aircon whether you want to or not, possibly when you switch vent direction to windscreen.

Any way to stop this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Nope. That's just the way aircon works. My Volvo does exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

aircon helps clear the windscreen, where's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

yup did the same on my mondeo. cleared the windscreen in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's the way it works. As soon as you switch it to demist it switches the a/c on. It's a 'feature'.

Personally I keep the air vent on demist all the time, so as to keep a bit of air circulating around the cabin but without it blowing anywhere near my face which I really dislike, so for me it's a bit of a pain, and I have to keep switching it off when not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 matty2003

well, the problem is that 1. you lose engine power when aircon is on, and 2. you use more petrol.

I know that it's great for demisting, but it's really only necessary when it's raining heavily.

The point is, I want to control it, not it control me!

If it's able to know when I direct vents to windscreen, then it can also be made 'not to know'. Is there anyone with some technical knowhow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

matty2003 wrote: »

I know that it's great for demisting, but it's really only necessary when it's raining heavily.

The point is, I want to control it, not it control me!

The only reason for selecting the upper windscreen demist vents is to demist the windscreen - why would you want to downgrade this feature by turning the A/C off? These vents are inefficient at heating/cooling the cabin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

crosstownk wrote: »
    The only reason for selecting the upper windscreen demist vents is to demist the windscreen - why would you want to downgrade this feature by turning the A/C off? These vents are inefficient at heating/cooling the cabin.
    It's like the OP said.. a/c isn't needed to clear a lightly fogged windscreen.

My last 2 cars had the option to put the vents on the screen on, but a/c off (keeps it clear) and also had a demist button which put the vents on the screen and a/c on (and press it again and it everything goes back to the way it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

JHMEG wrote: »

My last 2 cars had the option to put the vents on the screen on, but a/c off (keeps it clear) and also had a demist button which put the vents on the screen and a/c on (and press it again and it everything goes back to the way it was).

Yep - on some models you turn the dial to windscreen demist, the A/C comes on, and you simply press the A/C switch to turn off the compressor. But if I want air to circulate, I'll use the centre vents at a low speed, but that's just me I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

JHMEG wrote: »
    My windscreen will not demist without the a/c on, so it suits me to have it switch on automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Is there not an ECON button that will switch off the Air Con?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Econ buttons usually on Japanese cars, never seen one on a Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The demist function is only for demisting the car. You should go straight back to the normal setting on a car with aircon once the screen is clear.

And aircon cleans a windscreen infinately quicker(even with the fan at its lowest speed) than not having it on, and if it is left on, significantly reduces the chance of the car fogging up again.

As for it reducing power and increasing fuel consumption(by only a few%, so all you'll lose if 1 or 2 mpg), I'd rather lose power and waste a small bit of extra fuel and see where I'm going, than get every last horse and mile from every gallon from the car and be uncomfortable in a stuffy car(if you don't have aircon you need to have the heater on at full heat and fan at full blast to defog the winscreen quickly) with severly reduced vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most Fords have a quick clear front windscreen these days too. To be honest the air con on for a few mins to clear the windscreen quickly is not going to zap much fuel imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A/c should be used regularly too.

Remember the refridgerant also acts as the lubricant. Without use the rubber hoses will perish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

A/c should be used regularly too.

Remember the refridgerant also acts as the lubricant. Without use the rubber hoses will perish.

i didn't know that. best leave it on today so!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1 hour a week is enough to keep the system and hoses in order tbh.

Advertisement