Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Wine on PC Linux OS

• 22-10-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭

I'm currently having chronic computer problems and using a PC LinuxOS live disc to use my PC, as this laptop is shared between different people. (And t's crap :rolleyes:).

I'm looking at loading Wine to emulate Windows exe's but don't know which version to try...never having used Linux before. I'm told PClinuxOS is ubuntu but unreliably so, was going to tr that but don't want to fs up more than they already are.

Here's the choices I'm given: http://www.winehq.org/site/download

Alternatively, any other suggestions to run wndows exe's on this OS?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What exes are you trying to run? How are the other people accessing the computer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

SkepticOne wrote: »
    What exes are you trying to run? How are the other people accessing the computer?

If you mean accessing the laptop, i mean i don't have it all to myself is all. The PC in question is mine and stand-alone. I want to be able to use some freeware exe's that I'm a fan of, flightsimming addons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A couple of things:

If you are new to Linux, Wine is not for you. It can be a pain to set up. I'm using Linux over 10 years, and I still have trouble with Wine.

Wine is not guaranteed to run all Windows binaries. Some will work, some won't. As a general rule, the older the Windows program, the more likely you are to get it working.

As for downloading Wine, don't download from WineHQ itself, download from an Ubuntu repository.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Wine has come a long ways, but still has a long way to go. I've done some minor development work with it, and I can tell you activex controls are the biggest problem.

If you go onto the wine homepage http://appdb.winehq.org there's a section that states the apps that people have got working with it.

Advertisement