Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I F*cking Hate Steam!!!!!

Options
  • 22-10-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

So I got myself the Orange box the other day off Steam. Left it downloading all day and went off to a mates house (where I got to play TF2, which only cemented my feelings that it was a good purchase). I get home to find that it's all finished installing. Hurrah, I say!

But then I go to start it, and I'm told all the games have to update. It'll take 7 hours to do it! Typical, I say, but it's late, so I'll leave it running. I come back to it 2 hours later to find that I'm getting bugger all bandwidth, so I decide to pause all the updates except for TF2. The bandwidth usage doesn't change, and I start to realise that maybe it's not my problem, but Steams problem. But I don't know too much about networks, so I leave it be.

I come back 5 hours later and TF2 is 47% done. I'm a little unhappy, but unable to do anything. I was going to leave it longer when suddenly I got a message telling me that the server was busy and to try downloading later. WTF? I was just kicked off the server so that someone else could get preference over it? So here I am, 2 days later and whenever I try to connect, I last 5 minutes and then am told that the server is busy.

I blame myself, because I assumed Valve would of overcome the huge cockup that was the Half-Life 2 launch, but apparently I was wrong. At the current rate, I'm not going to be able to play the game that I've bought, for the next month or two. This is the kind of reason why I've no problem with people pirating games, at least you can get those to work!!! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Haven't had any big TF2 updates at all :confused: The few I had took seconds to download and update.

Have you tried logging out of steam (go to file>change user) then logging in again.

EDIT: BTW you wouldn't of been kicked to give someone else bandwidth, something is just going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I have had no such problems, but then I've an 8 meg line.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

delete ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder, you will then connect to a different steam server to finish downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

vishal wrote: »
    delete ClientRegistry.blob in your steam folder, you will then connect to a different steam server to finish downloading.

This works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've tried this and loads of other fixes before and they jsut won't work. I'm going to get my mate to backup all his games and I'll plop them onto my system, it should work, but it's a lot of hassle for something that should work anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I can never get steam backups to work.... Just get your mates .gcf files

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I have never had a problem with steam , in fact I love the bloody thing . Did a format and rebuild on Saturday morning , I keep my steam folder on a seperate partition , once windows was up and running I just created a new shortcut , deleted the ClientRegistry.blob , and was back playing straight away .

yeah , I know , I am a steam fanboi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Been a while since i've logged onto steam, it impressed the hell out of me. Darwinia was just out when i last logged on. Dl'ed a few games i always intended to buy, company of heroes. Dl'd the orange box and all its components and COH on saturday and sunday, took about 10 hours for the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I <3 steam. Except for that one time it kept insisting I was trying to use a fake credit card to purchase stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I find Steam an absolute joy to use tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

jonski wrote: »
    I have never had a problem with steam , in fact I love the bloody thing .
    it impressed the hell out of me.
    Stephen wrote: »
    I <3 steam.
    I find Steam an absolute joy to use tbh.

Bah, you jerks are a bunch of jerks! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

humanji wrote: »
    Bah, you jerks are a bunch of jerks! :p
    [evil laugh]
    Velcome... to ze Internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

vishal wrote: »
    Giblet wrote: »
    This works.

Aye. Same happened to me. Wonderful wikipedia actually told me this.
    A common error in this process is the "content servers too busy" message – which is most likely to mean that the cached "clientregistry.blob" connection information has become corrupt, rather than its literal interpretation.[citation needed] Content is compressed during a download, to a currently uncertain ratio, but unpacked for local storage as it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

this is why u cant beat buyin the game off the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

grimm2005 wrote: »
    this is why u cant beat buyin the game off the shelf
    I've had problems there too, there is going to be a chance of something going wrong with any method.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

It sounds like it is decrypting the files... is your computer particularly slow or are you running other processes in the background, because that would adversely affect it.

I'm currently running a 2.6ghz dual core with 2ghz ram and it took approximately 1 hour. From what I can tell its not a major user of bandwidth but it is a serious resource hog.

My friend on his dual core did it in under 30 minutes, the bastard :p

If that is the case, then I doubt backing up the game files and copying them over will help, but the best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I've had problems there too, there is going to be a chance of something going wrong with any method.

that may be true but from personal experience buying all valve games in the shop (including hl2 on day 1) ive had the games up and running minutes after installation (on a p4 3ghz, 1gb ram).
    Not that i'm saying don't buy games off steam, its a great service no doubt, but it just seems that a huge amount of people have problems running/downloading/decrypting games bought from steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

grimm2005 wrote: »
    huge amount of people have problems running/downloading/decrypting games bought from steam.

I think the "huge" part is wrong , obviously people that have problems are more vocal so you see them more .

Recently , within the clan that I am part of , we have had a lot of steam dealings . There have been about 15 of us , over the last 8 weeks , buying and d/ling CS:S & DOD:S plus some have bought the orange box . the closest we came to a problem was last night , when one guy's CS:S crashed while starting , just after updating through steam . He had to reboot and when he came back it worked fine .

So , thats 15 out of 15 with no real problems .

Advertisement