Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REELING IN THE YEARS......Who likes it out there?

• 22-10-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

I like this look back at Ireland through the years. The music, the fashion, the economy, the politics etc. Who else likes it here? Im working on storyboards for the years 2000-2007, I wonder if Rte might give me a job when they get round to reeling in the noughties?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=61363

Would imagine you'd probably have to wait a few years before a series for this decade gets commissioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

bertie and stan would feature a lot in reeling in the years 2007! What do you think of the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dessiemc27 wrote: »
    bertie and stan would feature a lot in reeling in the years 2007! What do you think of the show?

dont they do one for each year and show it around new years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wonder if Rte might give me a job when they get round to reeling in the noughties?
    They might. Although I don't think it's RTE, rather it's an independent production company. EXTREMELY difficult to get that kind of work. I've been trying for ages and have given up. And the particular gig you speak of would have a huge amount of people going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

It's not an independent company; it's one of the few productions RTÉ makes itself. Not least because it's entirely library-based. No point having a middle man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The best show on RTÉ. In the top 10 shows on TV too IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I love it because I know all the songs they play! And it's so funny looking back at the fashions and cars and thinking did we wear THAT! It's a pity you can't get it on DVD. One of my friends tried and was told no way as there would be major issues with copyright etc. Definitely one of the best things RTE has done in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I like the fact that they don't have any commentary just subtitles... I hate those "looking back" shows where some 22 year old big brother contestant is telling us what life was like in the 60s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Yeah its great. Would love to get it on DVD, pity you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would love to gt that on dvd.

Wonder is it possible to view some of it it on the rte website ? Perhaps i will take a look .

• Advertisement

I too hate those shows where a nobody from big brother talks about a tv show, musician or event and you think to yourself, who the f**k is she/he? Reeling in the years is a classic history lesson in byte sized form. Whats everyones most liked clip? My top one is when it talks of the start of the national lottery and haughey is scratching some cards under the title "there are some early winners" and then how he comments on how he would spend his winnings, finishing with the immortal line " sure I might keep a little bit for myself!" to the background music "wishing I was lucky" .

What about the possibility of RTE making the years 2000-2005 now as the 90's shows were released in 2002/2003. Has anybody any memory of an eagle flapping around Haughey at Dublin Airport in the 80's? was waiting for that to be shown , maybe I missed that year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Who else likes it here?

I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

What about the possibility of RTE making the years 2000-2005 now as the 90's shows were released in 2002/2003. Has anybody any memory of an eagle flapping around Haughey at Dublin Airport in the 80's? was waiting for that to be shown , maybe I missed that year!

I think the 90s ones were shown in 2000, so 2000-2009 might get done in 2010? My favourite bit is kind of bittersweet, from the end of the 1986 show when it shows all the people emigrating becuase there are no jobs, and Mary Black singing 'Neidin' in the background, brings a tear to my eye everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

komodosp wrote: »
    I like the fact that they don't have any commentary just subtitles... I hate those "looking back" shows where some 22 year old big brother contestant is telling us what life was like in the 60s...

Couldn't agree more.

I love the show - especially the late 70s & 80s ones. Ah sweet nostalgia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I love this show.
    I have it saved on my sky+ box at home.
    Recorded 1968 onwards ( missed a few of the earlier ones).
    Thought it might be nice to show a particular programme from a certain year of peoples births as we sit around the house over christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Its awesome. Genius music, always perfectly suited to the amazing pictures. Always thought people applying for citizenship should be made watch it to get a feel for where the crazy Ireland of today came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I love the show, and I love how brilliant alot of the music choices are. They go from some chirpy chart music while they are showing some easy news story, and then silence while they show the aftermath of an bomb explosion, and then cut to some eeriely appropriate soundtrack for the footage of whatever disturbing story they are telling us.

If it was not executed so well it wouldn't be even half as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

chef wrote: »
    I love this show.
    I have it saved on my sky+ box at home.
    Recorded 1968 onwards ( missed a few of the earlier ones).
    Thought it might be nice to show a particular programme from a certain year of peoples births as we sit around the house over christmas.

Recorded them on my Sky+ too and missed a few in the 80s. Luckily they show them again so will eventually get them all.

Excellent show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think it is wonderful. Great to see the video clips playing with the music of the time. Hopefully they do a marathon run of them some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I think the 90s ones were shown in 2000, so 2000-2009 might get done in 2010? My favourite bit is kind of bittersweet, from the end of the 1986 show when it shows all the people emigrating becuase there are no jobs, and Mary Black singing 'Neidin' in the background, brings a tear to my eye everytime

Definitely my favorite moment as well, although there is a part in every episode that brings a tear to my eye. Real shame that you can't get it on DVD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

If you know where to look you can get them... I know someone who got the whole collection on DVD

Does anybody remember the first appearance of U2 (or the hype as they were called ) in 1978 on that show? Bono's hair is amazing! I wonder do they still play "street mission" at any concerts!!

Also what about rick rojas! the human fly. Must have been a canadian version of evil knieval!! God knows how he walked again after that crash he had in the 1978 episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

I love this show,I watch the reapets over and over again everytime its on.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does anybody remember the first appearance of U2 (or the hype as they were called ) in 1978 on that show? Bono's hair is amazing! I wonder do they still play "street mission" at any concerts!!
    I do. *cough*

It's a great show, has potential to be expanded.
    Imagine a quick 5 mins show every night "On this day 10 / 20 / 30 years ago."

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭arcade1

possible the best show rte has ever produced

Unsurprisingly though, the formula is nicked.

The BBC showed a programme called The Rock 'n' Roll Years in the mid-80s (focusing on the 50s to the 70s) then again in 1994 (when it focused on the 80s). I watched it religiously in 1994. It was absolutely excellent and undoubtedly the template for Reeling In The Years - the two are identical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_'n'_Roll_Years

But I still love Reeling In The Years - obviously you're not gonna see any footage relating to the Moving Statue of Ballinspittle on The Rock 'n' Roll Years!

I too am a fan of the rock N' Roll Years. Good show. each episode was about 28 mins longer and i do remember that they cut their music a bit shorter than reeling in the years meaning each year you got twice the amount of music, but to an irishman, reeling is still THE show! I wonder does bbc website have any rock and roll years? maybe same problem releasing it as there is in Ireland with RITY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Another fan of reeling in the years here. Last time I was home, I got my Dad to sit and watch it with me (he's not much of a TV man). Now he's hooked on it too.

The episode we saw was 1978, and either Jack Lynch or Liam Cosgrave (forgive my ignorance of Irish politics) made a speech that just about knocked me off my seat. "... there are many people in this country who are blow-ins. They can either blow out, or blow up!" I don't doubt that things were more than bad here when this speech was made, but can you imagine Bertie & pals coming out with something like this today?

It's fascinating to see what life was really like in this country when we were looking out at it through kid-coloured eyes.

Yeah it was cosgrave. Some of the more critical and cynical hacks that were criticising the government of the time...." and some of them aren't even Irish!". Great speech, he has a few more gems in other episodes. The RTE website has to update their webpages of REELING IN THE YEARS as they dont have any story boards of music track listings for the sixties years on the page!!!! Get it sorted RTE!

Great Idea.....You should get a job with RTE! I just love a byte size bit of nostalgia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i have 1969-1996 all in .avi great show

My sister ( a wee bit older than me!) remembers going to see the miami showband, "once a month". They were the westlife or boyzone of the early seventies showbands era!. She watched the episode where Fran O'Toole sings " can't you understand" and the subsequent story of their horrible ambush. One of the most poignant moment's in the show. A lot of tears shed watching that!.

Does anybody have any Friends , Relatives, Neighbours that feature in the clips? my claim to fame, Fr .Brian Darcy, The local pp in The Grann Enniskillen, features in about six episodes. Quite funny when he refers to punk music,"the clash and the sex pistols"!! didnt know priests were into punk music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

best show on rté by a country mile. in saying that, it wouldnt take much to beat most of their productions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

iMax wrote: »
    If you know where to look you can get them... I know someone who got the whole collection on DVD

I presume you mean just copying off tv onto dvd? RTe wont release it due to the copyright cost of the music,images,videos etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Love that show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Hagar wrote: »
    Imagine a quick 5 mins show every night "On this day 10 / 20 / 30 years ago."

RTÉ did that throughout 2000. It was called 100 Years, narrated by Brian Farrell. Got the p**s ripped out of it by Bull Island at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Another one of the highlights is at the end of the 1993 episode. Bertie is explaining how he will have a merciless view of tax evasion and will take great pleasure in sending tax evaders to jail. While he is saying this "i got friends in low places" is playing in the background.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, that was excellent! Actually there were a number of items like that, captured in an "if only we'd known then what we know" kind of way. That changed from 1996 with the Michael Lowry affair. Bit of a watershed year. It was also when the industrial school abuses came to light with that documentary Dear Daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

irishgeo wrote: »
    dont they do one for each year and show it around new years.
    I would imagine they wait a couple of years. They often make reference to events which happen a year or two after the year being described, e.g.;
    "X is made minister for finance and makes a famous speech about the state of the economy. He would later be jailed for taking bribes from businessmen".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Heres a link to YouTube with the Rock and Roll Years, this link will take you to 1983 part 1.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4DlMYdgv8TU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Another Reeling in the Years fan here!!:)
    Great show.
    Love seeing Ireland back in the day/what events happens..and the music in the background adds!

RadioCity wrote: »
    Heres a link to YouTube with the Rock and Roll Years, this link will take you to 1983 part 1.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4DlMYdgv8TU
    Oooh fab! Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Great show, have only seen a few episodes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by iMax
    Would be very intrested in obtaining some copys if possible ???? ...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Mate got them in Drogheda Market

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Still getting great ratings on its nth rerun. Replaced "Keeping Up Appearances" and "Mr Bean" as the RTE empty prime time slot filler. On a loop for the last decade. Presumably the Drogheda Market seller is paying royalties to those involved is this great RTE effort???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

love that show.anyone know if RTE are selling the show as a dvd boxset??can you buy em?

• Advertisement
Advertisement