Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REELING IN THE YEARS......Who likes it out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

great show - but according to RTE it will not be available on DVD
    due to issues mainly with music rights. It really captures the times
    with the music - brings you right back.

Best time to watch out for a full run seems to be during the summer
    when we have the shorter 6:1 news... must remember set the
    recorder then!

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

<SNIP>

EDIT: Requesting for copyrighted material to be uploaded in downloadable form is a no-no.

First and final warning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

It's a pity when they do repeat it its on a 6.30, when i'm working and as I dont get much of a chance to read the papers, I always miss it! Just got a e-mail to say that the rock n'Roll years (same type of programme only english slant) was repeated on bbc four last year!!!! and only after I got my digibox!!!! is there no justice in the world!!

this thread has gone a bit dead folks. Im determined to keep it alive!!. Was comparing Reeling In The Years to BBC'S the Rock n Roll Years the other day to someone. They watched a few episodes off someones sky + and loved it. I have been waiting for ages for BBC to update the rock n roll years to cover the 1990's, but alas, nothing. I think since they came up with the" I love the" format in the mid 90's that killed the rock n roll years. The rent a z list celeb format was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Surely RTE could make it available at a slightly higher cost than other series, I'd rather pay 120 blip for it than 90 for sex and the city or some other similar meaningless dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A Rock N' Roll Years update - BBC4 will be showing the 1985 episode on Feb 13th at 10pm.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

Dessiemc27 wrote: »
    I like this look back at Ireland through the years. The music, the fashion, the economy, the politics etc. Who else likes it here? Im working on storyboards for the years 2000-2007, I wonder if Rte might give me a job when they get round to reeling in the noughties?

Love it! Have all episodes recorded to DVD, except 3 I'm missing. Printed up some sweet discs too copying their logo! I made the mistake of showing it off to people, and then I had to make 5 copies of each disc for them... full colour printed too! :(

No PMs please....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snake Nose

Surely RTE could make it available at a slightly higher cost than other series, I'd rather pay 120 blip for it than 90 for sex and the city or some other similar meaningless dung
    They can't release it. There are to many clearance issues with material used. They can clear it for broadcast easily, but clearing all that footage for DVD release (i.e selling someone elses footage for profit) becomes far too complicated to attempt - and they know this - it won't be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Snake Nose wrote: »
    They can't release it. There are to many clearance issues with material used. They can clear it for broadcast easily, but clearing all that footage for DVD release (i.e selling someone elses footage for profit) becomes far too complicated to attempt - and they know this - it won't be released.

It's less an issue of the complexities (because any of that could be overcome - historical DVDs are released all the time) - it is all about the mulah. RTE don't want to pay the extra cost for music rights (though archive video which did not originate in RTE - e.g. the BBC/ITN Archive is also an issue). But it's music which trumps the others - way too expensive to release a DVD.

There is a market for the show though - I have 1962-1999 AVIs as well - and it's something I'd have happily paid €100 for. Too bad RTE don't have a way around it.

• Advertisement

Flicked over to Rte one night when taking a break at work on a late saturday evening. On comes 1984. Completely at random. No 1985 the following day or week either! Rte are always teasing us with random showings of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I question the accuracy of Reeling In The Years. One mistake I've noticed is on the 1983 episode they use the 1988 remix of Blue Monday. It's not like it's hard to find the original version on CD or anything. If they didn't get that right, what else could be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

It's the best show RTE have. Repeat-proof and informative, nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I love it, great show - best part is that you dont have to listen to any crumby RTE 'presenter' presenting or doing a voice over, i love the idea of the subtitles and seeing the old school news reporters again :)

I question the accuracy of Reeling In The Years. One mistake I've noticed is on the 1983 episode they use the 1988 remix of Blue Monday. It's not like it's hard to find the original version on CD or anything. If they didn't get that right, what else could be wrong?

Well spotted. I suppose its hard for shows like this to be bomb proof. Did you know that the original Blue monday's sleeve cover was that expensive to make that the more records it sold the more money that factory lost!. The BBC's the rock n roll years often featured songs from "that" year which actually werent in the charts that year. Maybe Bertie was wrong when he said in a 90's episode that he cant stand tax cheats, or was he?.

Good debate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Great show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

And did you also know that "Blue Monday" is an instrumental. The vocal version is actually called "The Beach",which was the B side of the original 12" (as I show my age). Pedantic issues aside this came up before and as I posted then I have seen this terrific show that often that I am sure I remember where I was when President Kennedy was shot...despite the fact that I was not born until 1967

Sorry, you got it the wrong way round - The Beach is the instrumental, though it does have some vocorder parts. They're both on Substance and Retro (that big 5 CD box set yoke) if you don't have the 12" (I don't, but I don't have a turntable either :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 knowall

can they be recorded from this box

According to a recent BBC 4 programme based on the history of Factory records Blue Monday lost money as a single. Because the design of its Sleeve was so expensive the more singles that they sold the more it cost factory. Brilliant programme.

Yeah I saw that too a while ago. I always though that was an urban myth regarding losing money on the single, but when they admit it themselves...!

They did simplify the sleeve design later on but I don't know if it was too late to make any profit.

• Advertisement

Does anybody watch the "siar sna ...." shows on tg4? similar to reeling in the years only with irish dialogue! the 1970 episode whichh was on a few weeks ago uses a lot of the footage that reeling used for its 1970 episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bigdexy

doh.ie wrote: »
    It's less an issue of the complexities (because any of that could be overcome - historical DVDs are released all the time) - it is all about the mulah. RTE don't want to pay the extra cost for music rights (though archive video which did not originate in RTE - e.g. the BBC/ITN Archive is also an issue). But it's music which trumps the others - way too expensive to release a DVD.

There is a market for the show though - I have 1962-1999 AVIs as well - and it's something I'd have happily paid €100 for. Too bad RTE don't have a way around it.

Hi just read your message. I'm a big reeling fan. I know asking for copies of it is illegal, so I won't do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

absolutely brilliant tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah that one on tg4 is very good. makes me feel more patriotic then reeling in the years for some reason!

reeling in the years though is the best programme that we've ever got from, as a friend of mine says they use to call it years ago, torture one and torture two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I love it. The one RTE show I'd kill to have on DVD and it'll never be availble. Bloody typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

chef wrote: »
    Thought it might be nice to show a particular programme from a certain year of peoples births as we sit around the house over christmas.

It's always fascinating watching news from the year you were born.

I remember watching the 1989 episode, the Year I was born. As with all years, there was the mix of depressing news (The Hillsborough Tragedy, Tianemen Square massacre) and good news (the knocking of The Berlin Wall, Cork winning The Sam McGuire! :D)

For me the most memorable clip was the execution of Nicolae & Elena Ceaucescu - I was 2 weeks old when that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

it's brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

Mod Edit - Removed... you should know better, ro1798.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I absolutely love watching it and even going through the archives on RTE ... but this show it so well presented in terms of the music tracks they choose for the various clips ... fascinating also finding out little pieces of history that may otherwise remain un-told

IT'S ON AGAIN!!!! Starting the annual summer run. Tuesday 5th august with 1997!! pretty random. They had been showing the nineties at infrequent intervals on sundays from june. I see friday is 1962.....I like the way this episode starts with the first night of RTE broadcast...introduced by floor manager Charlie Roberts who counts in the new year. So by my reckoning it should run from 1962 up to 1989....but we all know RTE !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Roses are red

I think its great love hearing the music from years gone by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Media Center for the win :) I have 1983-1996 recorded and divxified, since I noticed they'd been showing them at odd intervals over the last few months. It looks like they're showing 1997,8 and then from 1962-1967 (could be more, but Media Center downloads schedules for only around 2 weeks in advance). Did they make one in 1999, as (if memory serves) they showed them in 1999 in advance of 2000?

I absolutely love the show, and esp the ones around the late eighties that bring a tear to my eyes (I was born in 1970, so I remember full well the emmigration, cruddy economy etc). The music is very cleverly chosen too. One of my favourite series ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Another fan here. my favorite years to watch are around 88-94. Great music scene and I always get a kick from scenes of Dublin streets full of 90s cars.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Another fan here. my favorite years to watch are around 88-94. Great music scene and I always get a kick from scenes of Dublin streets full of 90s cars.

Thats one of my pastimes too duck, watching 'history' type programs and looking out for the oldies in the background. One of my favourite spots in RITY is the helicopter used to fly prisoners out of mountjoy . It looked primative for its time, a bit like a kit helicopter. Worked for the boys though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Definitely the best bit was the Manchester bombing - the beauty of RITY is very much in the editing/sound supervision. Easily the best show on terrestrial television (and I'm including all the US series we get in that statement).

I wonder of anyone out there remembers the years covered in RITY ? I can only clearly remember from about 1984 onwards (born in 77!) Amazing to think that 3 out of every 4 houses in rural Ireland did not have running water in the late 60's.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am hoping sombody out there has copies they might want to sell either on ebay or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I think it's probably the best Irish made program - it's both entertaining and informative and is in stark contrast to the majority of the sh1te on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I love it. I hope they make a 00s one in the next few years. We're already 8 years into it :eek:

What a pity though that they can't sell it on DVD. It'd be a big seller IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This and "Hands" are the two finest programmes that I know of RTE having been involved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

1965 tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

What's weird about the 60s footage is that you're used to looking at all the black and white footage when next thing there's some colour clips. And then it's like "aarrrgh arrgggh, colour " :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NY152

I hafta say i love it!! My parents love it, we all watch it and theyd say wher they wer at that time and that they wore what the ppl on telly wore.....cringe :p 1964 yesterday was reali good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

^ummm..what am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Firetrap wrote: »
    I love it. I hope they make a 00s one in the next few years. We're already 8 years into it :eek:

Why?

9/11, Iraq, Big Brother the 00's in a nutshell. The decade where the mundane and talentless are elevated to the level of genius. RTE will probably will make it as its cheap and it will fill their vacuous schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

NY152 wrote: »
    I hafta say i love it!

Same here. Its just like taking a trip down memory lane and I try to watch it whenever its on. For some reason it always seems to be on at 6.30 after the news :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Kojak wrote: »
    For some reason it always seems to be on at 6.30 after the news :confused:

It was originally broadcast at 8.00pm. RTE cut their 6 o'clock news bulletins to half an hour during most of August. With the Dail on holiday there really isn't that much news. To fill the extra half hour per day on RTE One, they lash out a proven winner - Reeling. I believe there's a recut DVD of the 80's on the way out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I agee. Reeling in the Years and Hands are brilliant. Why do RTE bother with such rubbish like Failte Towers when they can just show us programs like these? I love watching them. They are a half hour away from reality, it's great seeing a completely different world then that of today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement