Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REELING IN THE YEARS......Who likes it out there?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

NY152 wrote: »
    I hafta say i love it!! My parents love it, we all watch it and theyd say wher they wer at that time and that they wore what the ppl on telly wore.....cringe :p 1964 yesterday was reali good!!!

same here..my dad describes the whole thing while its on,so you end up listening to his stories rather than the actual tv :)
    i learn more about ireland by watching it than i ever did in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

bigkev49 wrote: »
    This and "Hands" are the two finest programmes that I know of RTE having been involved in.
    +1
    I keep watching the full series over and over again, though only from the seventies onwards. I love hearing the songs that were out then. And the fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

amdublin wrote: »
    I agee. Reeling in the Years and Hands are brilliant. Why do RTE bother with such rubbish like Failte Towers when they can just show us programs like these? I love watching them. They are a half hour away from reality, it's great seeing a completely different world then that of today.

Because todays tv audience apparently want "celebrity" involvement in absolutely everything. It really is shocking the mindless, terrible and downright insulting pap that tv companies can churn out if they stick the "celebrity" tag on it.

Wtf is a celebrity anyway? Sometimes I truly despair for the progression of mankind when I hear people discussing, in phenomenal depth, who has nicer kids, the Beckhams or Brad and Angelina. This, of course, while a war is raging and American and Russian relations are in a time-warp. :mad::mad:

/rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

mickd wrote: »
    Why?

9/11, Iraq, Big Brother the 00's in a nutshell. The decade where the mundane and talentless are elevated to the level of genius. RTE will probably will make it as its cheap and it will fill their vacuous schedules.

At the end of the 1990s when they made that Reeling in the Years, I thought it was too soon. Now of course, it's a trip down memory lane. Of course RTÉ should keep making them. They're better than Celebrity Farm and its ilk, are they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

No because this is the decade of Celebrity Farm and its ilk, imo its best forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Well, you could say about the 80s that it was all emigration, unemployment, mullets and bad music. No, I hope they make another one. I don't think we'll ever agree on that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

amdublin wrote: »
    I agee. Reeling in the Years and Hands are brilliant. Why do RTE bother with such rubbish like Failte Towers
    Interesting article in todays' Sunday Times about RTE not being able to sell the sponsorship for FT due to lack of corporate interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

newbie2 wrote: »
    It was originally broadcast at 8.00pm. RTE cut their 6 o'clock news bulletins to half an hour during most of August. With the Dail on holiday there really isn't that much news. To fill the extra half hour per day on RTE One, they lash out a proven winner - Reeling. I believe there's a recut DVD of the 80's on the way out...

Interesting news although cutting it does not help the programme. This would sell like hot cakes......

Has anyone seen BBC'S version of reeling? It was a format that RTE nicked actually. Its called the Rock n' Roll Years. It runs from 1956 (the year that Rock n' roll officially 'started') to 1989. I'm waiting on a new series to cover 1990-2000....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Dessiemc27 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen BBC'S version of reeling? It was a format that RTE nicked actually. Its called the Rock n' Roll Years. It runs from 1956 (the year that Rock n' roll officially 'started') to 1989. I'm waiting on a new series to cover 1990-2000....

I think the music editor on the rock and roll years was an Irish guy and when he returned to Ireland he sold Rte on the idea of doing a similar series here.
    - I think he's the producer John O'Regan. Anyway he's credited on both shows.

So yes the format is copied from Rock and Roll years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Dessiemc27 wrote: »
    Interesting news although cutting it does not help the programme. This would sell like hot cakes......
    By "recut" I mean re-editted. Only very slightly though, I think some of the text that reveals along the bottom of the screen is being re-written. Nothing too different - just worded in a way that would relate to today's "more informed" audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I think the music editor on the rock and roll years was an Irish guy and when he returned to Ireland he sold Rte on the idea of doing a similar series here.
    - I think he's the producer John O'Regan. Anyway he's credited on both shows.

So yes the format is copied from Rock and Roll years.
    Correct. Very nice man

Do you know him? maybe we could get him to give sue mallinson a bell (she was the producer of The Rock n'Roll Years, and get the new series started. We are going to have to wait 2 years at least for the new series of RITY.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nievus89

Excellent show. surprising being that its Rte made!!..Always watch it when its on and it nearly always brings a tear to my eye at some stage. love the music and the fact that the comments are written on the screen as opposed to being voice-overed by some z-list celebrity..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Incredibly, the latest weekly viewing figures for all 4 channels show that the Monday before last's Reeling In The Years (1963) on RTE1 had the highest audience for any programme in Ireland for week ending 17/08/08, even beating the likes of Coronation Street, Eastenders, Fair City etc. This, despite it being probably the 5th or 6th showing. Can't honestly believe RTE can't overcome rights issues problems, clearance etc. to release this on DVD. Obvious Christmas DVD winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

"You can have Boland but you can't have Fianna Fail!"

That was really stirring stuff the other evening.

For anyone interested in History on a broader scale UKTV are screening the entire "World at War" documentary right now. Fantastic programme, I've been shamelessly pimping it around boards this morning :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I love this show, but what the hell is up with RTE's scheduling? During Aug, they showed 1962 to 1977....and then silence!!!!!!!!!!

WTF?

Still waiting for 1978.

They did the same last year so much so that it was impossible to know which year was up next.

Can it be that bloody hard to schedule a half hour show?

Bunch of twats.

I wouldn't mind if they cut the show from the schedule after each decade perhaps, but mid run is just irritating.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Interestingly enough, RTE put out a request for tender last week looking for DVD-duplicating and packaging companies to submit bids for a 'nostalgia box-set' product to be out by Xmas this year.

Unless they are planning on releasing the 10-DVD set of "Wanderly Wagon - The Directors Cut", I strongly suspect that they will release Reeling in the Years, albeit with a revised music track featuring only Irish music that they can get the rights clearance more easily from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Reeling in the Years is a great song and a great programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Recently got the full series of this as AVIs and it is great looking back at them. Starts at 1969 so am not sure I have the very start?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

No, it starts in 1962, the first year of RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

A superb show and one which I try, sometimes in vain, to make it home in time for each evening. I love seeing the old news footage from the 60's, 70', and 80's. It's the best home-produced program on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Great show but it actually makes me quite depressed watching it most of the time...unless its showing great Irish sporting moments. It makes me think back the darker days and Mondays and coming home from school on a cold wet night. Great show but extremley depressing. My counsler has told me not to watch it anymore.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Great show alright, great to see how innocent we were only a few years ago, kids (mid 20s or younger) wouldn't believe most of it.
    Even in my mid 30s I can remember how simple things were only 20yrs ago or so, no cash, pound a pint in world cup, no shopping, no traffic..no future..........
    Great show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

I absolutely love that show. Whenever I'm back home (every few months), always manage to catch that show. Brilliantly edited and I love the fact that they show all the old school Irish adverts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Reeling In The Years gets release on DVD.
    From the RTE website:
    "Following a number of years of clearing the music and footage rights, 'Reeling in the 80s' will be released on 31 October."

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/1009/reelingintheyears.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

i love it!!

such a simple idea.. and its not tacky!! which makes a change from the junk rte sometimes produce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Best.RTE.Show.EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

+1.Pure deadly:D

• Advertisement

yeh its brill, i've learned more on there than i did when i was in school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its only a highlights package, grr... was wanting the full 38x30 :(

Great show alright, great to see how innocent we were only a few years ago, kids (mid 20s or younger) wouldn't believe most of it.
    Even in my mid 30s I can remember how simple things were only 20yrs ago or so, no cash, pound a pint in world cup, no shopping, no traffic..no future..........
    Great show.

hmmm, looks like the kids of today may get to experience this themselves now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

yes great program :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

I have some rapidshare links not sure if its allowed to be posted here ? if not pm me 1969-1999 is the years i have

EDIT: No links to downloads whatsoever please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 InDemand

Quality of the highest order, definitely the best thing RTE has done with my license money. Someone mentioned that the show can make you depressed, isn't nostalgia = depressed, a sign of old age? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Here is a link to the exact contents of the DVD.
    Looks like they did a good bit of chopping...
    1980 - 14 mins 10 seconds
    1981 - 16 mins 35 seconds
    1982 - 13 minutes...
    And so on, they are all shorter than the original tv programmes!

I guess this is due to copyrights! Here is a link to how they arranged the copyright etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Rafloution wrote: »
    I have some rapidshare links not sure if its allowed to be posted here ? if not pm me 1969-1999 is the years i have
    could you send me those links??? :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's either €25 or €29.99 (can't remember) in Xtravision for those of you interested! It's the 80's one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Have the ever shown the years FAI Cup final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

podge018 wrote: »
    Have the ever shown the years FAI Cup final?

Nope but they show the All-Ireland hurling and football finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is the last time I'm prepared to warn people..

.. no requests for downloads of advertising links to downloads whatsoever.

The next person to do so will be banned from the forum.

Go out and buy the 1980's DVD.. support it and we'll get further DVD releases!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 universeo

I've just watched the 1991 episode of 'Reeling in the years'. It has to be one of my favourite TV shows, if not my favourite...and I'm only 20! Not old enough to remember/experience any of the stories, but there is something about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

any idea what episodes are on this week.

I am guessing 1972 - 1976 but would like if someone could clarify.

All the TV listings are crap - none of them state the year - just say something obvious and bland about the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I think yesterday was 1974 (Dublin/Monaghan bombings) earlier in the week included Dana - so that would be 1972

Digiguide does not include the year for these ones showing at the moment ... it usually does..

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Ha Ha. You couldnt script it.

Advertisement