Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What good postgrad to do for US?

Options
  • 22-10-2007 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I just finished an Arts degree. What would be a good postgrad to do if you were thinking about leaving for US,Canada or Aus. afterward? Is it difficult to get a VISA for more than a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

You want to do a postgrad in Ireland before going to the US, correct? Then I would probably opt for something short like a 1yr taught masters in an area close to your degree and good for jobs. Getting a US visa then hangs mainly on getting a sponsor and job before going over. Not 100% sure about Australia or Canada but I imagine it's 8 times easier to get a visa there vs. the US.

If, on the other hand, you want to do a postgrad in the US or similar you practically have a guaranteed visa once you get accepted by a school. Assuming you don't have a criminal record or overstayed on a visa before, that is. :)

Once you have the visa, it's very easy to keep it as long as you have a legitimate reason to stay in the country (a job or school).

Advertisement