Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project 2008

Options
  • 22-10-2007 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

We got our design brief's today. Was wondering would you have any ideas that might help me in my design process, But first i need a little help in interpreting the brief a little better

1.Intro
    Materials handling technology, for transportation building materials between locations and levels on a building site, its an integral part of a modern construction environment.

Design a model of a portable materials handling device to the general specifications outlined below.

The device should :
    • Be capable of delivering materials to and from different levels;
    • Be mobile to facilitate transportation between site locations;
    • Be controlled by an ON/OFF switch;
    • Include an electronic indicator to signal that the device is in operation

Presentation of the completed device should ensure that;
    • All main operating features are clearly visible without dismantling
    • The longest dimension of the device does not exceed 300mm;
    • Electric power does not exceed 9 volts.

I think the easier the design is here the better because after all i do have to make it as-well :P I'm just looking for some ideas in how to aproach this but im not necessarily asking you to design it for me :)

Cheers
    Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭kirving

A fork-lift, or crane would be the most obvious answer. But functionality is only 10 marks, so even a teleporter (with wheels) could be accepted I think!

Also, whats the story the 300mm limit? What I mean is - if I have a part that can be extended, can that exceed the 300 mm limit, as long as its under 300mm when folded down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭#Daniel

A fork-lift, or crane would be the most obvious answer. But functionality is only 10 marks, so even a teleporter (with wheels) could be accepted I think!

Also, whats the story the 300mm limit? What I mean is - if I have a part that can be extended, can that exceed the 300 mm limit, as long as its under 300mm when folded down?

according to my teacher they arent too picky about things like that, I'd say extendable things are exempt, afterall most machines used in building extend in some way.

does anyone else have design ideas? I was thinking a forklift to be the most obvious, but half the country will probably make that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

When I did mine last year ( ball machine.. ) I mis-calculated something wrong and it ended up 340mm wide. My teacher said it was fine and that they don't mind about a few mm over. I got a B1 in HL in the end also winning the engineering prize of the year too ( prize-giving ) for it :D :cool:

But my god does the project this year sound very strange & tricky!

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

We got the brief Tuesday too. Both my engineering teacher AND my tech graph teacher described another vehicle (NOT a forklift) that satisfies the brief. And its a far better idea than the forklift. I wouldn't mind half the country doing a forklift cause there would be more marks for us!!!!

Ive half designed mine already and I have 47 pieces to make!!! Ill have to get rid of some defo though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

But my god does the project this year sound very strange & tricky!

NOOO. Its making so many pieces will be hard all you have to do is make something that will lift up and down and drive around. That ball thing was a pain in the ass from what I could see!!!!!

Ive got my basic idea sketched out, and I'm doing the final drawings it in SketchUp. Im trying to make as few pieces as possible, but it will be about the 30 mark Id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Black_Venom

yeh she is a hard one alright..

I was thinking about using a pulley system to lift and more of a trolley than a fork lift shape, using scissors lifts and extendable pieces is just complicating things in my opinion. Lucky for me my Tg teacher and Engineering teacher is the same guy. I think the 300mm applies to the diagonal length from corner to corner, so it cant be 300mm long but according to Madigan he says there not to bothered if its a bit over. They basically just don't want big monstrosities handed up.

I have sketched out the basic shape in solidworks of my design but have no measurements or parts. I may get cracking because we are starting on Monday i think..

If i can remember il check back with you guys in a few months and we can say how we got on with it.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

the 300mm is the largest dimension, but if there's an extending arm or something like that, then the individual pieces can't be more the 300 each, but it can be more than that while extended
    still have to sort any ideas out lol
    the ordinary one is ridiculously simple! they get a drawing too

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

turgon wrote: »
    NOOO. Its making so many pieces will be hard all you have to do is make something that will lift up and down and drive around. That ball thing was a pain in the ass from what I could see!!!!!

Afaik it doesn't have to be self-propelled, so I'm doing mine on top of a trailer-based chassis. Less work yay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The best idea would probably be something like a pallet mover as used in many grocery stores.

Something similar to what is shown below

http://www.visionbldgsystems.com/images/bg_pallettruck.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Black_Venom

emm i duno do they use pallet lifters on building sites, yeh your right it doesnt have to be self propelled but i think im gona just run two motors of one 9 volt i think one for liftin one for moving

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

416K85NMX2L._SS400_.jpg

FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Apologies didnt see the building site part, my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 engineer23

Did anyone upload there ideas to sketchup warehouse yet!

Thanks

I think its a teleporter but it pretty hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

had so much work to do over mid-term, im only sitting down now to think of ideas, sketches n so on!!

still pondering whether to do honours or pass. i do L.C.V.P so if i do well in my other pass subjects, i reckon my L.C.V.P will cover this.

im not very strong at the theory side of things, is it really worth the stress? what do yee guy reckon?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kulva

If you put a great deal of time into the practical project you will be rewarded. I certainly did (once or twice in the school at 8 at night on a friday) and came out with my A. I feel it is worth the stress when you finish your project and portfolio and can sit back and just look at it. Its a real sense of accomplishment.Good Luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 robs_russell

Guys, i know this thread is about higher level project, and from what we've been talking about in class, most ppl are tending towards the teleporter more thananything else...
    thats neither here nor there...

My Question is related to the Ordinary Level Project...

The Ordinary Level project is to make a model Racing Car, im working on a model F1 car, but, whet i wanted to know is this...

Would you think Vacuum forming for the Model itself sufice? with a clear base, to show the working for the model. (something like Perspex)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 king909

to be honest amte although vacuum forming would work i wouldnt go that route if i were u because it just makes it look like ur taking the easy way out u no. it i were u id try and make a few pieces by hand nd even vacuum form the rest. show that you have the skill to do it u no..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

Well Robs. I am an engineering teacher who actually examines the projects and i can tell u for certain there will b no problem with that idea so long as it is within the confines of the brief, i.e size, function etc. Also make sure to leave out wooden mould 2 b included for grading. Gud luck

• Advertisement

for the ordinary level project I would avoid vacuum forming as it leaves very little work in it that you can be marked on.
    For the higher project apparently we can use it to make a cover for the chassis and mechanism, plan on doing that once I get a chassis worked out!

Thanks guys.

I plan to go that route, as the design has to be finalised in the morning.
    thatnks for the tip about leaving the mould out, never would of even crossed my mind...

i plan on making a perspex base, and making two (clear) plastic supports for the axle you know... something attached to the base, with 2 90 degree angles, with 2 holes for the axle to sit in because i doubt that the vacuum formed cover would be strong enuf to support it.

using a small gearbox i have made up in the last year, i intend on using it to slow down the rpm for the wheels, because i doubt it would be a good idea to have the wheels spinning at 300-700rpm when the examiner turns it on and it zipping away from him, having to run after it LOL (i find that image hilarious)

but yea, thanks guys.

P.S. anybody know of a website where i can submit my design and see it working??

ive heard of such a site, but i cant find it anywhere.

also, i plan on having it about 290mm in length and roughly 190 in width... im gonna do it out in CAD and see what she looks like, then ill finialise my measurements, and also im sure it will function just fine, as i have it all mentally planned out, just trying to put it all into practice may be the tricky part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wolf07

anyone know what size of a motor i would need to be able to

1. lift something up and down (that can handle a little weight)
    2. that can cause wheels to move left and right

(like in http://www.cambergroup.com/bridgecs.gif)
    but i don't want them to be too fast just nice enough.

like what voltage motor/or/ RPM?????
    something from 300-1000rpm i think would be ok

please help

ASAP:confused:

^ get a motor with a built in gearbox for the lifting, and whatever mechanism you're using for it, it wouldn't hurt to have the ratios (if its some kind of gears) so it goes even slower. Your teacher should know about them
    But I'm not sure what you mean by left and right, do you mean so they can spin in one direction, and the opposite one? For that you just wire in a double pole double throw switch. Again, the teacher will know.
    As for voltage, most motors should run fine on 6V, but its no harm to have 9V, but I don't know about the RPM, sorry.

Hope I helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wolf07

yeah, double pole double throw switch thats what i meant by left/right...thanks for the help..

no worries =D
    I really should try and get a chassis designed lol

This isn't probably the best place to ask, but does anybody have any experience in using solenoids. I was planning to use such as this to raise and lower the crane arm on my model. The problem with this is, I think it might move too fast, causing the crane arm to shoot up. Does anybody know if the speed of these are controlled by the amount of current passing through?

^ dodgy link.
    solenoids move instantly so far I as I know, I don't think varying the current would change the speed, but I'm open to correction.

I've spend about 3 horus trying to get a fricking chassis that will actually work >_<
    the mechanism's fine, I'm just having touble as to how to mount the racks, and attach the fork to them, but hopefully, my teacher should be able to help me, that's all I really have left to work out. And some dimensions, but I'll have to get those from the teacher.

Have many of you started making it yet?

• Advertisement

I started the other day, although I haven't designed the cab completely, well I have, but without motor control, as i have to find a design that will fit. moving my crane arm up and down if the problem, and controlling the winch. Gearboxes are just too big!

Where are you ordering parts from? We have radionics, rapidonline, peats and maplin catalogues. Anywhere else I could look?

Advertisement