Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Project 2008

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 paudieclery

I dont mean to sound demeaning but are ye not losing sight of the marking schemes.Engineering as a basic subject.Look for where the marks are to be got.It isnt for having solenoids or amazing mechanisms.The main bulk of the marks are for it looking good and being logical.Good filing(include curves and circles,elipses if possible)choice of materials (eg red perspex,brass nd copper looks fantastic together) and display ur accuracy(good fittings,brazing,all bolts flush with the surface of your pieces) Last year i used a basic idea of a belt to shoot of the balls,it obviously didnt work but the project overall was very stylish and came together perfectley nd i came out with my A1..........Jst keep in mind where the marks are coming from:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I've more or less got my deisgn sorted, once I get a few more dimensions from my teacher, and get a small part of the lifting mechanism sorted. Then I can get started.
    Don't know where we get out supplies, basically we tell the school what we need and they get it if they can.
    The only thing we've to pay for is the motors, €20 each, because they've a gearbox built in, quite tidy. 30x55x31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 phison

do you realy think simplicity is the way to go ? got the breif ages ago, only realy startin now , decided on a forklift, any ideas on how to steer it , without 10 extra parts !!!!???? :confused::confused::confused: im so skrewed !:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

trust me lads, Paudie Clerys advise is 100% correct. Keep it SIMPLE! Make sure it fulfils the design brief insofar as its <300mm, on/off switch, is portable and has a lifting devise (which can actually be mechanical). It does not have to have a steering mechanism and trying to include one will only complicate the project. Spending time on the folder and espcially the theory will be much more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

A fork-lift, or crane would be the most obvious answer. But functionality is only 10 marks, so even a teleporter (with wheels) could be accepted I think!

Also, whats the story the 300mm limit? What I mean is - if I have a part that can be extended, can that exceed the 300 mm limit, as long as its under 300mm when folded down?
    **EDIT**
    Hi, received briefs a while ago too. I am going for the teleporter too. Can't think how many parts it will be because i spent the last week just figuring out how to make the arm move up and extend. then return to its original postion. Also the workings of it. I've opted for so far: 3 motors:
    1. to move arm up/down. using gears(tricky)
    2. to extend/retract. Using a pulley system (equally tricky)
    3.to drive the vehicle (may leave this one out to save weight etc).

I've also decided to keep it small but have a good long arm. I thought the size limit meant it could NOT exceed 300 regardless of the arm. My design is set so the arm at full extension does not go over this.

haven't worked on how to put all this together/ make it look somewhat decent and not just a pile of wires with 4 wheels and an arm lol

Also can the on/off switch be a two way? ie: on-off-on respectively.
    If not then my whole design is going to the bin....

• Advertisement

i hope the on off switch can be a two way !! mine reverses the motor to bring the forks back down !!:p my hole class are convinced it needs steering , but im trusting you in that it dosent , and becaus i couldent realy be arsed maken one !:o:o
    what makes good choice of materials ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

phison wrote: »
    my hole class are convinced it needs steering , but im trusting you in that it dosent , and becaus i couldent realy be arsed maken one !:o:o

Ok the brief says (i quote!): "Be mobile to facilitate transportation between site locations". No offense but any one with a tiny bit of sense would realize that site locations aren't placed neatly in parallel lines. A bit of maneuvering is required! Or what happens if someone accidentally placed a concrete pylon in front of your truck. Unable to get around it you would be ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 johnculloty

congo_90 wrote: »
    **EDIT**
    Hi, received briefs a while ago too. I am going for the teleporter too. Can't think how many parts it will be because i spent the last week just figuring out how to make the arm move up and extend. then return to its original postion. Also the workings of it. I've opted for so far: 3 motors:
    1. to move arm up/down. using gears(tricky)
    2. to extend/retract. Using a pulley system (equally tricky)
    3.to drive the vehicle (may leave this one out to save weight etc).

I've also decided to keep it small but have a good long arm. I thought the size limit meant it could NOT exceed 300 regardless of the arm. My design is set so the arm at full extension does not go over this.

haven't worked on how to put all this together/ make it look somewhat decent and not just a pile of wires with 4 wheels and an arm lol

Also can the on/off switch be a two way? ie: on-off-on respectively.
    If not then my whole design is going to the bin....
    ok im also doing the prjoect and i have no clue how gears or anything work! please help? im thinking of using a worm gear to lift the fork up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

turgon wrote: »
    Ok the brief says (i quote!): "Be mobile to facilitate transportation between site locations". No offense but any one with a tiny bit of sense would realize that site locations aren't placed neatly in parallel lines. A bit of maneuvering is required! Or what happens if someone accidentally placed a concrete pylon in front of your truck. Unable to get around it you would be ****ed.
    there goes my whole design! does it definatly need to have a motor to drive it? nobody in my class has designed a steering sys for theirs. Also the teach said this isn't needed.

ok im also doing the prjoect and i have no clue how gears or anything work! please help? im thinking of using a worm gear to lift the fork up and down

My design is using gears to move the boom-arm up/down (i'm also clueless about gears lol)
    For extend retract there will be a a long screw type bar inside the first section of arm and attached to the second (extended one)
    this is controlled via a pulley at the bottom of the whole arm. I have no skecthes on this computer so this is just something i worked up on MS paint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hen-Roc

I'm making a Crane with a pulley system attached to a motor. Gear system attached to a motor for turning the crane. Motor and pulley system for the axel to move the crane (much like the JC Metalwork project we got in 2005) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭kirving

The crane I'm making will be propellled by a motor, with a "dpdt center off switch, this allows reverse) It wont have steering. The motor will be mounted on the bottom of a box shaped chassis.

The trouble is, I don't know how I'm gonna fit the motor/ gearboxes for the crane arm or winch, so I might just use a worm gear and a manual crank. The gearboxes are just too big! I think that making it less electronic will make me lose masks, it may be too simple.

I'm gonna put a turn table in too, I'll need bearings for that.

Ideally what i need is very small motors, or actuators which go extremly slowly. Any idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nariek1

If at all possible go 4 electronic method of lifting rather than manual. motors are best slowed down by use of worm-wheel and gear but checkout the Peats.ie website section on motors and u'll find a simple gear reducer as well as the clear-box motor which is a little cumbersome. A good method of lifting the boom is using a cam system attached to a motor to give up/down motion, use an exaggerated cam for greater height. Steering is not required! We got confirmation of that at a recent meeting. Best materials include a combination of black perspex+brass. But everything can work, aluminium is easy to work, is lightwieght and can be polished or spray painted up to look well. Consider vacuum forming the cab section if going the crane route but wooden mould will have 2 b spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stevengriffin1

im makin mine out of an old shoe box:eek:..................it has 5 gears;) in it and a rope :cool:

wow you guys are realy saving my ass !! u have no idea how greatfull i am !
    forlift, brass forks , brass guide rails, steel skrew allumimium chasie, 2 motors(one for the wheels ,the other for the skrew to lift the fork ) 2 swtches and a cute little seat :Don a blck perspes platform ! does it need a cab ?? and can motor go underneath the chassie ??? ive given up tryting with the steerig ! theory shudnt be a prob ;)! im so lost i didnt do metalwork for my jc !! im more woried about the 6hr practical!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stevengriffin1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheRenegade

I think 99% of the country are going for forklifts lol

How is everyone doing so far?

I think i should be all done in mid February :D

I'm making a mobile crane.

So far ive made the base(2 parts to it), threaded the axcels, and made most of the front cab.

Ive still gotta make 6 wheels, 2 cab sides, cab, 2 front "doors", counter weight, motor case, and wire like 6 lights, 2 motors, 5 switches, and assemble the entier thing(I havend drilled most of it). Ive also gotta make the gear system to raise and lower the arm, winch.

I'm quite slow doing practical, so hopefully I'll finish it!

Our class is getting an extension cas the teachers out. But its not like anyone works when we have a teacher!!!!!! They just walk around or listen to their mp3 players.....

Go mobile crane team!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

anyone else keep putting off studyin any of the theory for engineering!!?

i havnt done anything yet!

Just wondering how peoples engineering projects are coming along? Ive still gotta make the wheels and winch mechanism! Only a 7 classes left beacuse of the mocks and midterm. They have to be finished by the 7th of March....

I'll post some pics up soon enough. Anyone wan't to upload some of theirs?

The pic doesn't include the boom extension, cab, perspex, lights, actuator or cable reel. But you get the idea!

• Advertisement

Any updates or pictures???

Finishing mine with a soldering iron tomorrow night, ill put up some pictures then!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 conroy221

Thought id throw up my project, got it finished now, quite a complex one really, but it was fun

Forklift.jpg

Im quite proud of it really lol, its on remote control too, works very well, bit of a bad picture though

and the drawings....

Drawing.jpg

Remote?! As in wireless?

Whats the circuit board at the rear for? Did you make it yourself or is it from another model?

When I stuffed my wiring loom into the cab, some of the soldered joints fell loose. I should be able to fix them on monday though...

Everything works though! Im very happy with it. Although the extension of the boom and turntable rotation are manual(could have easily made it electronic, but I didnt have the time...)

The PhotoWorks Render and final photo are below...

yea its remote control wireless, i have two remotes that i hope to make into one when i go back in on monday. The circuit boards are just remote control circuits i got from remote control cars, making one yourself would be near impossible, trying to find things that would suit is nearly impossible too. Well trying to find ones that dont cost an arm and a leg.... Everything else is made by myself. Well anything i could make in the workshop anyway

Yours looks nice and neat, the aluminium looks well done.

I would be weary though, because in the design brief it says "bought in electronic soloutions will result in loast makes", although it does say that you can recycle if thats your only option. If you can justify it I'm sure it'll be fine.

yea i get what you mean, but then again, these sort of circuit boards are generally done by automated machinery nowadays. Ill have a look and see if i can find a price range for a pack to make a circuit board and reciever with remote control, but they arent gonna do those sort of things cheap, its all gonna be high tech stuff. The circuit boards i used were from cheap little remote control cars. The hardest thing i found was staying within the 300mm boundary,

Advertisement