Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006/2007 Football related arrested.

• 22-10-2007 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

Today the Home Office released the 2006/2007 figures for football related arrests.

rrests per Premiership Club

01. Manchester United - 192
    02. Chelsea - 135
    03. Newcastle United - 113
    03. Spurs - 113
    05. West Ham - 111
    06. Man City - 91
    07. Arsenal - 80
    08. Aston Villa - 77
    09. Everton - 70
    10. Middlesborough - 68
    11. Liverpool - 64
    12. Sheff Utd - 63
    13. Bolton - 34
    14. Reading - 32
    15. Wigan - 29
    16. Portsmouth - 27
    17. Watford - 22
    18. Blackburn - 21
    19. Charlton - 17
    20. Fulham - 8.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

yeah seen that earlier on the beeb,90 banning orders for man utd aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

How many of the United arrests were to do with the incidents against Lille and Roma home and away? I'm guessing a good few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Not a word of this in the same Irish media that hammer Rovers and the Bozos whenever there is, or more relevantly, isnt an incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There generally "is" in fairness. And there are plenty you don't hear about, like last Friday night at Rovers-Pats.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    There generally "is" in fairness. And there are plenty you don't hear about, like last Friday night at Rovers-Pats.

Yeah. English football has never seen as much as a slap and the LoI is a hotbed of hooliganism.

Keep taking those Ole Ole tablets. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

why did they just release the Prem teams from last years arrests surely Millwall, Leeds, Cardiff ect had more than quite a few of these teams. and yes those three your picked simply on reputation and off the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah. English football has never seen as much as a slap and the LoI is a hotbed of hooliganism.

Keep taking those Ole Ole tablets. :rolleyes:

What are you on about? Irish football has muppets who go to cause trouble, English football has muppets who go to cause trouble. You're the one who brought the LoI into this for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

What the **** is an ole ole tablet, if you are trying to be condescending to me you can try again buddy.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What are you on about? Irish football has muppets who go to cause trouble, English football has muppets who go to cause trouble. You're the one who brought the LoI into this for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

What the **** is an ole ole tablet, if you are trying to be condescending to me you can try again buddy.

how many threads have we had on trouble in the English Premier Division?

how many on trouble in the LoI?

how many arrestes in the English division?

how many in the Irish?

Despite the best efforts of the media, there is still massive issues in England, entire town centres closed down for Saturday afternoons. But that doesnt suit certain agendas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

why complain that problems in england arent highlighted enough in comparison to lesser problems in the LOI in a thread that is highlighting how there have been so many arrests with EPL clubs where nobody (except you) is mentioning LOI. are you looking for a debate/arguement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

how many in the Irish?

Despite the best efforts of the media, there is still massive issues in England, entire town centres closed down for Saturday afternoons. But that doesnt suit certain agendas

Why is it the job of the Irish media or Irish message boards to highlight public order offences related to football in the UK?

If you want to read about bother in the English game, why not read and English message board?

The vast majority of Irish fans of the English game watch from the comfort of their couch or bar stool, why should they seek out news of football related violence?

You've only been here a wet week, why not go back to earlier in the year when there were heated discussions about ManYoo in Lille and Rome, Spurs in Seville, trouble after Spurs and Chelsea in the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge, crowd encroachment on the pitch at WHL for the replay?

Why not go back to January and read the thread I started regarding trouble in Cardiff when Spurs visited in the Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

An Citeog wrote: »
    How many of the United arrests were to do with the incidents against Lille and Roma home and away? I'm guessing a good few.

i reckon these are not including Europe, i think they might just be league games? read the report the other day somewhere, cant be 100% sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Why is it the job of the Irish media or Irish message boards to highlight public order offences related to football in the UK?

If you want to read about bother in the English game, why not read and English message board?

The vast majority of Irish fans of the English game watch from the comfort of their couch or bar stool, why should they seek out news of football related violence?

You've only been here a wet week, why not go back to earlier in the year when there were heated discussions about ManYoo in Lille and Rome, Spurs in Seville, trouble after Spurs and Chelsea in the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge, crowd encroachment on the pitch at WHL for the replay?

Why not go back to January and read the thread I started regarding trouble in Cardiff when Spurs visited in the Cup?

Good point.

Never mentioned League of Ireland.

What is it about Rovers fans and protesting their innocence?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i reckon these are not including Europe, i think they might just be league games? read the report the other day somewhere, cant be 100% sure though

The full report is available here on PDF.

Total number of arrests at European Club ties (outside of England/Wales) was 28, over half of which were for public disorder rather than violent disorder.

They do state for that category that "host police made preventative detentions of travelling fans at certain matches. These were a preventative measure not arrests"...if those figures were included I imagine the number would be higher.

how many in the Irish?

Isn't that just because more people actually go to games in England? I'm talking thousands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tusky wrote: »
    Today the Home Office released the 2006/2007 figures for football related arrests.

rrests per Premiership Club

01. Manchester United - 192
    02. Chelsea - 135
    03. Newcastle United - 113
    03. Spurs - 113
    05. West Ham - 111
    06. Man City - 91
    07. Arsenal - 80
    08. Aston Villa - 77
    09. Everton - 70
    10. Middlesborough - 68
    11. Liverpool - 64
    12. Sheff Utd - 63
    13. Bolton - 34
    14. Reading - 32
    15. Wigan - 29
    16. Portsmouth - 27
    17. Watford - 22
    18. Blackburn - 21
    19. Charlton - 17
    20. Fulham - 8.

Looks like the Fulham lads are good at not getting caught :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Why is it the job of Irish media (and message boards) to collaborate in the sanitised coverage of the English game/disease?
    Surely there is some significance in the fact that the media here slavishly adopts a British football agenda, while also giving wildly disproportionate coverage to the Irish game's difficulties?

SectionF wrote: »
    Why is it the job of Irish media (and message boards) to collaborate in the sanitised coverage of the English game/disease?
    Surely there is some significance in the fact that the media here slavishly adopts a British football agenda, while also giving wildly disproportionate coverage to the Irish game's difficulties?

Much as I hate to agree with a Bozo, thats what I was getting at. There is clearly still a huge amount of hooligan activity in England that gets scant press. Any incident, or more recently total fabricatations of incidents, that happens over here gets huge coverage. Why is that?

Even when there isnt trouble at a Rovers Bohs game, the Herald rehash old incidents. Yet not a word of the knifefight at Chelsea v Tottenham that hospitalised 40.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Looks like the Fulham lads are good at not getting caught :p

or there are soft as sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

county wrote: »
    or there are soft as sh1te

could be both, coupled with the fact they don't seem to actually have any fans.

Much as I hate to agree with a Bozo, thats what I was getting at. There is clearly still a huge amount of hooligan activity in England that gets scant press. Any incident, or more recently total fabricatations of incidents, that happens over here gets huge coverage. Why is that?

Even when there isnt trouble at a Rovers Bohs game, the Herald rehash old incidents. Yet not a word of the knifefight at Chelsea v Tottenham that hospitalised 40.

I think it is sites like this and some posters on here who blow everything out of proportion most of the time.

I have honestly never seen 'huge coverage' of hooliganism in Irish football. I have seen it get a mention here or there, but if i did not have access to tis forum, and did not read the hooligan related threads, I would probably have no idea who's fans got up to what. Don't really se it on the 6.1, the 9 o'clock or the back pages of the dailys such as teh mirror, star or sun. don't see this 'huge coverage' at all to be honest. i ahve seen some coverage, but it is only right that irish news media report irish incidents.

as for not hearing of the knife fight, if there wasn't a peep, how did you hear about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    I think it is sites like this and some posters on here who blow everything out of proportion most of the time.

I have honestly never seen 'huge coverage' of hooliganism in Irish football. I have seen it get a mention here or there, but if i did not have access to tis forum, and did not read the hooligan related threads, I would probably have no idea who's fans got up to what. Don't really se it on the 6.1, the 9 o'clock or the back pages of the dailys such as teh mirror, star or sun. don't see this 'huge coverage' at all to be honest. i ahve seen some coverage, but it is only right that irish news media report irish incidents.

as for not hearing of the knife fight, if there wasn't a peep, how did you hear about it?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It is a fact that we have Hooligan Deniers among our English Football watching brethern on this message board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I have honestly never seen 'huge coverage' of hooliganism in Irish football.

Yeh, I didn't know there was even a small hooliganism problem in Irish football. That said, I'm well aware of the problems that still exist in English footballer, although none of it is reported in the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PHB wrote: »
    Yeh, I didn't know there was even a small hooliganism problem in Irish football.

Well there is, and we aren't adfraid to admint it, dammit.

The Bohs arrests in Derry was all over the news headlines. The Herag, McCafferty in particular, have been sensationalising LoI 'hooligans' to the point of legal action from the clubs.

If the Irish media cover foreign football to the extent they do, they should report the trouble that accompanies it too. I know they are pandering to consumers, not fans, but its unfair of the Herag to ignore the English bovver while totally blowing Irish trouble out of proportion, and in some cases inventing incidents.

I read a very interesting piece in the Mail which approached it from the point of view that the press ignored the biggest row at a game since the 80's and questioned the agenda to supress news to help newspaper moguls investments. I'll try and link to it.

The Bohs arrests in Derry was all over the news headlines. The Herag, McCafferty in particular, have been sensationalising LoI 'hooligans' to the point of legal action from the clubs.

If the Irish media cover foreign football to the extent they do, they should report the trouble that accompanies it too. I know they are pandering to consumers, not fans, but its unfair of the Herag to ignore the English bovver while totally blowing Irish trouble out of proportion, and in some cases inventing incidents.

I read a very interesting piece in the Mail which approached it from the point of view that the press ignored the biggest row at a game since the 80's and questioned the agenda to supress news to help newspaper moguls investments. I'll try and link to it.

there was a sectarian element attached to that incident aswel,makes a good story,you know what i mean

county wrote: »
    there was a sectarian element attached to that incident aswel,makes a good story,you know what i mean

agreed, it was to an extent newsworthy and it appears finally got Bohs to ban BSC trappings in their ground and bizarrely, on their jersies.

but would a pagger outside a pub in England get on their main evening news, let alone filter through to the Irish media?

Fair enough.

I honestly haven't seen all that much about the violence in irish footie, but then i don't look for LoI news all that often so it could easily pass me by. I did hear about the Bohs arrests in Derry, but that was a fairy shocking incident (they trashed a pub or something, right?) and as mentioned above, the secretarian element to it makes it that bit more newsworthy. Also, irish hooliganism may effect the readership of the paper, it is unlikely english hooliganism does - so it isn't as newsworthy (though the knife fight certainly should have been highlighted, but then i know these things happen a lot over in england, they are just well organised so they are not spotted most of the time)

In contrast, I do see a fair amount about trouble in england, but then that is information that has either been sought by me, or brought to my attention by others - and would generally involve the likes of Leeds and Liverpool.

I do agree that the reporting of hooliganism is disproportionate - but that is the fault of the english media, not the irish to the extent that I do not feel there is any real obligation on the part of the irish media to highlight english problems, just as I wouldn't expet the english media to pick up on hooliganism in Irish football. However, your point about the 'Herag' making, possibly, mountains out of molehills to shine a light on the irish problem is disappointing all by itself. It should report the facts and nothing but, but we all know media doesn't work that way anymore (Did it ever?).

The article you read regarding the knifing, do you know if there is an online version, as it is a piece I would be interested in reading.

agreed, it was to an extent newsworthy and it appears finally got Bohs to ban BSC trappings in their ground and bizarrely, on their jersies.

but would a pagger outside a pub in England get on their main evening news, let alone filter through to the Irish media?

to be fair if hooligans in england attacked say a group of muslims i am pretty sure it would make the headlines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tusky wrote: »
    01. Manchester United - 192 - 76,212
    02. Chelsea - 135 - 42,055
    03. Newcastle United - 113 - 52,387
    03. Spurs - 113 - 36,310
    05. West Ham - 111 - 35,647
    06. Man City - 91 - 47,726
    07. Arsenal - 80 - 38,419
    08. Aston Villa - 77 - 42,573
    09. Everton - 70 - 40,410
    10. Middlesborough - 68 - 35,100
    11. Liverpool - 64 - 45,362
    I think you have to take the capacity of the grounds into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Do you actually know what the ER is for?

Ironic you criticise the Herald for sensationalism yet inflate the figures yourself?

10 suffered knife wounds.
    Roughly 40 men involved.
    34 arrests.

Like I said, how is that news to your average Irish PL fan who watched that game on a 42" screen?

Irish news tends to concentrate on smaller news items as a necessity, how many reports on road traffic accidents do you see in the UK media for example? How many individual cases of shootings do you see?

As far as I can see there's one newspaper with a horn for hooliganism in the EL that you all have a problem with. Can't see how this forum can be accused of ignoring football violence in the UK, read back to earlier in the year for proof.

DesF wrote: »
    It is a fact that we have Hooligan Deniers among our English Football watching brethern on this message board.

Name and shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

For once I am glad not to see Pompey further up the league table, although I feared we may well be. We have more than our fair share of idiots, but fortunately most of them are still subject to banning orders after 90 or so were arrested after we played Southampton in our first season back in the top flight.

I think you have to take these numbers into perspective. Take Man United, they have 76,000 at every home game. If they play 25 home games a season in all competitions and play 25 away games, with an average of 2500 per away game, that is not far short of 2,000,000 people watching them play. 192 arrests out of 2 million people is not exactly a huge number. Yes it is too many, but how many arrests are there in Dublin, Cork and Limerick city centres on a Saturday night?

I have seen some appalling violence at football matches in my time and it is a lot better now than it was in the 80s. the numbnuts are coming out of the woodwork again but football matches are still pretty safe in my opinion.

Out of curiosity, what are the figures like for Scotland or do they not get a mention?

bohsman wrote: »
    Do you actually know what the ER is for?

Yes.

My understanding is it is being removed as part of your belated clampdown on BSC triumphalisim in your ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think you have to take the capacity of the grounds into consideration.

Since this is for 2006/2007 wouldn't the Emirates be slightly bigger than 38,419 seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yes.

My understanding is it is being removed as part of your belated clampdown on BSC triumphalisim in your ground.

The death of a baby has what to do with hooliganism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

playa3 wrote: »
    Since this is for 2006/2007 wouldn't the Emirates be slightly bigger than 38,419 seats?

It would, 60,432 in fact.

bohsman wrote: »
    The death of a baby has what to do with hooliganism?

nothing, until the father of the baby, who is a leader of the BSC and supposed to be banned from Dayler, gets to give the players a team talk and flies a banner with "ER - BSC Angel".

Bohs jersies and BSC flags on message. The BSC showing who is boss yet again.

We wait and see if the 'ordinary decent' members insist on the ban on BSC symbolism on an ongoing basis when the fuss dies down. And enforces the bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

01. Manchester United - 192 - 76,212 337
    02. Chelsea - 135 - 42,055 312
    03. Newcastle United - 113 - 52,387 464
    03. Spurs - 113 - 36,310 321
    05. West Ham - 111 - 35,647 321
    06. Man City - 91 - 47,726 524
    07. Arsenal - 80 - 38,419 480
    08. Aston Villa - 77 - 42,573 552
    09. Everton - 70 - 40,410 577
    10. Middlesborough - 68 - 35,100 516
    11. Liverpool - 64 - 45,362 708

Number of seats in the ground divided by numbers of arrests gives a fairer reflection of the figures. The higher your clubs number the better, liverpool with the best coefficient is surprising so well done scousers.

Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham and United all grouped closely together probably isnt much of a surprise.

Have to say I was at 6 United home games last year and the only incident I witnessed was a handbags at dawn style confrontation that was very quickly mopped up by the police.

• Advertisement
Advertisement