Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to top up Mynute Boiler

Options
  • 22-10-2007 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Can anyone offer me advise on how to top up the boiler for my central heating? I know there have been post here before on similar cases ,but I can't figure out how to increase the pressure in the boiler.

Looking under the boiler I found a 1/4 turn valve for the gas supply and 2 other copper pipes which I presume carry the cold supply and hot water out to the rads. There is no place I could see to attach a water supply into the system.

In the hot press , I found 3 round handle valves - none of which are closed fully clockwise (all are open) . I guessed that one of these would allow me to top up the water , but I cant understand they are all open ,yet the water pressure is below .5 on the gauge.

I havn't had a preblem yet with the heating ,but I would like to get the pressure up to 1 ,as I've read this is where it should be at.

Anyone familar with this job? The house is about 4 years old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The valve on the left could be the one. If it is not a sealed system then .5 on the gauge is fine. Is there an expansion vessel (red cylinder), or a small tank in the attic ? If the system is not fed by the mains, then you won't get the pressure much higher.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alias123

I dont think there is an expansion tank in the attic. There is the large cold water storage tank ,I'm nearly sure no smaller tank. I had asked the plumber who installed the sysytme and I remeber him saying there was a valve to top up water , I suppose I could try opening the valve more ? Thanks for reply Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The reason that I think that it is the valve on the left is that it seems to have something that looks like a non return valve on the pipe below it. If it is a sealed system, not connected to the mains, but connected to the hot water system, you still may not get the pressure much higher.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭f1_jb

If your boiler is 4 years old then it will opperate with .3 of a bar which is why this is tank fed, more recent boilers have a different pressure switch which requires more pressure which is why now most plumbers fill from the main supply. Your boiler is fine as it is just make sure if it's serviced whoever does it recharges the expansion vessel behind the bolier as most never do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've a 28E and the pressure is this low also. It's working as designed according to Vokera who I had out for another fault. It's just a headless unpressurised system.
    All the manuals state that the boiler must not be run with less than 1 bar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alias123

Thanks for all your replies guys. Thats true ,the manual states the pressure should be 1 bar - mine is a 16E model. I will keep that in mind about the recharging the expansion vessel - I would have never thought there was one behind the boiler! cheers ;)

Advertisement