Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] New torps and the raven

Options
  • 22-10-2007 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

So the proposed new torps(dont quote me onthis, second hand info) are a 25% rof boost with a drastic cut in range and base expl raius of 520 (+120)

CCP were doing great till the radius increase. So basically now torps are utterly pointless against anything other than a BS or a large sig BC

Why the radius increase?
    The rof boost was great, who cares about the max range decrease. fights happen within 30 anyway. but the radius increase really cuts the effectivness of the above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

torps were effective against smaller ships to begin with ? i know they didnt hit my inty for squat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

no they were not effective at all but now they are even worse.
    So the changes they are making ultimately makes us better against BS but worse against anything smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

they seem to be trying to turn all ships and weapons into anti same class ships (so vexor v other cruiser raven v other battleships) i guess to force us all to play together and have proper support going on

or not i could be talking out of my ass here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

just thought there that these torps are gona kill tose uber lv4 mission ravens.

They might have to approach their targets!!!
    the horror.

the horror.

Er have you ever flow a raven or what? the thing couldnt catch up with a crippled no armed midget with 10 stone straped to his back and its not a ****ing gallente ship so "omg put on a afterburner" doesnt cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

the horror.

Or we could just use cruise and hit them happily from even further away only slowing down the mission by a small bit.... And we benefit from having more fitting to have a better tank.

I don't mission run all that much (and I own a cnr) but this isn't really all that much of an inconvenience tbh. Not sure why people are complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Cruise will slow down missions alot due to stupid NPCs and their stupid Defenders :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Shrugs... I've never noticed cruise affecting missions times by all that much to be deadly honest.

Defenders don't dent your DPS all that much plus you take down small **** way faster and with a bigger tank mission running just got even more boring in some respects.

Or we could just use cruise and hit them happily from even further away only slowing down the mission by a small bit.... And we benefit from having more fitting to have a better tank.

I don't mission run all that much (and I own a cnr) but this isn't really all that much of an inconvenience tbh. Not sure why people are complaining.

Because they are makeing yet another weapon type useless maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I was crunching numbers on this trying to see if rigs could make Torps viable for missioning

Test server wasnt co-operating [ rigs werent affecting ammo on the fitting screen anyway] but theoretically, a Raven with max skills [Caldari BS 5, Velocity 5, Flight Time 5] any 2+1 combination of velocity and flight time missile rigs [ assume they act like modules, basically have same boost so 2vs1 makes sense for absolute range], assume 3% implants for both [ cant be arsed checking] and the absolute max you can squeeze out of torps is 47.9K or so. 45KM realistically given the delay to reach full speed.

That puts them right out for any mission against NPCs which can and do hover out at 50-60km.

So basically no. Unless the mission is against Serpentis or those close range ganka Merc overlords and stuff Torps arent the answer. Cruise then FTW I guess, but if Cruise were that good Id have used them instead of Torps to being with. Dominix instead I reckon. Can bring range and close range gank to the same party whilst fitting a rather awesome tank. Basically unaffected by Ewar. All round > Cruise Raven

As already noted above, shield tanking missile ships like the Raven really arent the ship of choice for sticking on a AB, a cap booster to keep it running, target painters for the torps so I can hurt stuff....**** Im down to a two slot tank!

You can armour tank the Raven I suppose, but thats against the whole Caldari design line [Slow/Long range/Shield Tanks] and it doesnt have the powergrid to fit Torps + an armour tank, plus mid slots. With a RCU you can just about fit a single repper tank with 3 hardeners, and some viable midslots but meh, its a shield tanking ship - shield hp and mid slot layout says so. Also, using armour tanker means no BCUs. Less gank.

PvP, the only viable use I can see for them is a station camp or gate camp or basically just close up gankery. Like blasters for gallente. Which is fine, but Gallente have the ships designed for this sort of carry on. Caldari have been lumbered with slow ass ships designed specially to stop them dictating range the way a Megathron [for example] can do.

Long story short....I like the new Torps. ROF bonus looks sexeh. Is there a Caldari ship kitted out to be a close range, MWDing, armour tanker to use them though? Will they reduce the Siege launcher fitting requirements to make fitting an armour tank to use them viable? It would bring em in line with the whole Short Range/High Gank/Easier fit design line for blasters vs rails.

If these changes are going to go ahead, then ships like the Raven will need to be adjusted to take into account the new roles these Torps will have. Missiles are what the Caldari do pretty much so they need the ships to use them.

• Advertisement

well said sand

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

tl;dr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

Maddzy wrote: »
    tl;dr
    Sand wrote:
    Long story short....I like the new Torps. ROF bonus looks sexeh. Is there a Caldari ship kitted out to be a close range, MWDing, armour tanker to use them though? Will they reduce the Siege launcher fitting requirements to make fitting an armour tank to use them viable? It would bring em in line with the whole Short Range/High Gank/Easier fit design line for blasters vs rails.

If these changes are going to go ahead, then ships like the Raven will need to be adjusted to take into account the new roles these Torps will have. Missiles are what the Caldari do pretty much so they need the ships to use them.

lay off the green Maddzy >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

tl;dr

Damn, it was your approval I was counting on.

With the bonus out for the t2 battleships it would appear torps got nerfed to force a role for the golem i find this pritty gay.

Advertisement