Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points for something other than speeding

Options
  • 22-10-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Hi - did anyone ever hear of anyone getting penalty points for something other than speeding or talking on a mobile ?
    The rules of the road book has lots of things such as stopping in a yellow box etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cazzy wrote: »
    Hi - did anyone ever hear of anyone getting penalty points for something other than speeding or talking on a mobile ?
    The rules of the road book has lots of things such as stopping in a yellow box etc.

Yes breaking a red light

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not wearing a seatbelt is a fairly common reason for people getting penalty points.

It's a pity people don't get points for the other 30-odd offences more often. Dangerous parking is one that I see all the time that would be so easy to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

I got one point for failing to obey a traffic sign, which was convientley facing the wrong way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

:mad: Got one for an illegal left turn, €60 and 1 Penalty Point, the shades were waiting for me as i went around the corner. Not fun, but i was in the wrong and i didnt fight it, dont mind the fine, its the 1 point on my licence for 3 years that kills.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Volvoboy wrote: »
    :mad: Got one for an illegal left turn, €60 and 1 Penalty Point, the shades were waiting for me as i went around the corner. Not fun, but i was in the wrong and i didnt fight it, dont mind the fine, its the 1 point on my licence for 3 years that kills.

-VB-

You are right, its the points that bloody kill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Stark wrote: »
    Not wearing a seatbelt is a fairly common reason for people getting penalty points.

Forgot that one. Say Im in the back of a taxi and the guards stop it and Im not wearing a seat belt - can I still get points on my licence even though Im not drivin or is it just a fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Forgot that one. Say Im in the back of a taxi and the guards stop it and Im not wearing a seat belt - can I still get points on my licence even though Im not drivin or is it just a fine ?

Just a fine for you, if passengers are under 16 the driver gets the fine and the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was promised one point for driving in the hard shoulder. Hasn't materialised yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stark wrote: »
    Dangerous parking is one that I see all the time that would be so easy to enforce.
    Absolutely. If they spent their time fining people for dangerous parking they'd make a much bigger tax haul than with speed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20notices%20%20issued%20by%20offence%20type%20june%2007.pdf

here is a breakdown of the types of penalty points issued

Analysis of Penalty Points Notices Issued by Offence Type to 31st June 2007

• Advertisement
Advertisement