Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall Help

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, Im not sure if this a Broadband suitable thread but I have a question for the more computer wise people here.

My friend and I are trying to play a network game on a video game but we need to turn off our firewalls to do so. I have mine off, but when he goes to Control Panel and then onto Windows Firewall, it says "due do a unidnetifyed problem windows cannot display windows firewall".

What can we do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

windows firewall lol.....Tell your friend to boot his pc in safe mode and he should be able to turn off/configure his firewall to let the program pass that way....

Ive been using a good free firewall called "Outpost Firewall" for the last few months for online gaming....It has a sweet entertainment mode supposedly designed for the xfire generation....I dont like going on wow/fear etc without a firewall and this does the job great,you should give it a try...

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

or...
    go to start - run -
    type services.msc and press enter
    go down to windows firewall and stop/dissable it. Or Just stop it if he wants it back later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Thanks guys, appreciate it. One more question.

Apparently we have to forward some ports. Now I dont know much about this except for reading an online guide and that only gives help if you know the make and model of your router. The thing is, Im in a huge student apartment block so all I do is plug my laptop into the wall and I get internet connection. As noob-ish as this sounds, what do I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You won't be able to forward ports on a student accomodation connection. That is unless you can convince the CSD to forward them for you but that's very unlikely

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Are you and your friend in the same student accom?
    If so they you don't need to forward ports as it'll work over the internal network

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Are you and your friend in the same student accom?
    If so they you don't need to forward ports as it'll work over the internal network

Sadly not. Do the ports have to be forwarded in network games or is this only necessary in some situations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Archimedes wrote: »
    Sadly not. Do the ports have to be forwarded in network games or is this only necessary in some situations?

Its not required for all games but some games won;t run right without ports being forwarded, of course if the router is setup to block common ports used by games then your in trouble

Alright cool, thanks for the help Cabaal.

Advertisement