Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barringston Pier

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the latest fiasco to hit the Limerick road network ??

I'm all for a pedestrian crossing at Barringston Pier by to install kerbing and lights on what was once the Hard Shoulder when they could have created the same effect by placing them on the embankment which would have been far safer in my opinion...

I also heard there will shortly be another new roundabout installed just beyond this for a new housing Development on the left embankment whilst heading towards Coonagh cross...

I'm praying there wont be any fatality's at this insane measure on one of the busiest roads in the Limerick network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Was thinking the very same thing. Firstly, I could not for the life of me understand why the speed limit there was 60km/h. Most of the drivers who use the road obviously feel the same, seeing as the average speed there is approx 80km/h (I travel the road many times a day). Now, they're putting people (both pedestrians and motorists) in mortal danger by putting a pedestrian crossing there?!! Cars travelling in towards town will have to come around a bend before they can see if somebody wants to cross or not. Its approximately 100M from the point where you can see the lights, to the actual lights themselves. What if people are flying down that road (as they usually do) at night and somebody presses the pedestrian lights button? Chances are it could cause inbound motorists to break hard and possible cause all manner of accidents. Just have a look yourself the next time your taking that road into town. Its mental!:eek:

Not a good place to have a crossing IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Saw them last night and was wondering is there such a need for the lights? I know its a danger crossing from the bank side to NCR but Barringston Pier is hardly the busiest of areas

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

also what is the idea of putting lights at the bridge near the roundabout. Not too bad if on the bridge heading into town but can't understand the siting of the lights from the other side. ie coming down Mallow Street to go over bridge, get on to roundabout, need to exit fast as car might be entering roundabout from Dock Road side to go down the quays, oops the lights are red, slam on breaks, oops again. Recognising the need for pedestrians to cross the bridge, but siting the lights another few yards onto the bridge would have made a bit more sense. its just like the pedestrian crossing on the quays side outside Harris bar, or on the parkway roundabout - taking your life in your hands trying to cross there really. cars aren't watching at this point for pedestrians - madness.

Advertisement