Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds on patio

Options
  • 22-10-2007 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Anyone ideas for anything (chemical) I can use to stop weeds / grass growing between the cracks on patio and a paved area. Used weedkillers but they do not stop weeds comming back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Pathclear. Not cheap, but it does work. I've used other stuff, but Pathclear seems to give good results. It lasts for about six months.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

might be a bit extreme but it does work - petrol, obviously you might not want to have a barbie, for a weeks after:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Seriously now - petrol?
    Isn't that a little bit dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Seriously now - petrol?
    Isn't that a little bit dangerous?
    Not to mention ecologically irresponsible. Water table anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, the water table and the compounds which would be released into the atmosphere too...
    Also, the stuff could collect under the slabs in gaseous form and should an unsuspecting smoker drop a match, they could find themselves becoming part of the scenery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

irishbird wrote: »
    might be a bit extreme but it does work - petrol, obviously you might not want to have a barbie, for a weeks after:)

Really says alot what you think of the environment and the local water table.
    Disgraceful really.:mad:

OP- use a systemic weedkiller, ie kills foliage + root. Popular (but several alternatives) Brand is Roundup, which biodegrades on contact with soil. Safe with children and pets.

Pathclear does not kill root but is quick acting 2 days, Roundup 1-2 weeks (or less) depending on weed type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I will second roundup.I used it in my cobblelock dtriveway and it took about 2 weeks for it to work, but it did the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks for the advice, Roundup it is.

(Water table breaths a sigh of relief) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rebisicca

I find that the best way to clear weeds off your Patio is a lot closer to home and much more eco friendly than Mr Petrol Head, simply send the wife out and lock the Patio door until she sorts it out. This method obviously works much better in the winter months. Might want to do it late at night to keep the neighbours onside in case you ever have to upgrade to a newer version.

:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

This being your first post rebisicca, please make yourself familiar with the forum charter please.

Back on topic, and If you want an eco friendly option, then boiling water works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

delly wrote: »
    This being your first post rebisicca, please make yourself familiar with the forum charter please.

Back on topic, and If you want an eco friendly option, then boiling water works well.

Do you have an 'eco friendly' way of boiling water? Also boiling water does not kill root.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was referring to not having to use any form of chemicals as opposed to the process of boiling the water. Works fine for me every now and then.

Advertisement