Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT rates on structured network cabling

Options
  • 22-10-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Curious as to what VAT rates people charge , think is correct for .....

Structured cable installation ( CAT5e CAT 6 etc )

PC repair ( biased towards 21% as not at component level)

2/3's rule and seperate invoicing to avoid it etc etc

Revenue or any accountant won't answer it directly anytime I ask

Charging to businesses doesn't really matter but say a School that can't claim the VAT back , 13.5 vs 21 can make a difference on a 2K cabling install etc etc

debate open .......................!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Are you talking about the Vat on the labour or the cabling itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

Both really

sometimes the cost of say 10 wall points is priced inclusive of Labour and patch bay etc

other people might price Labour and material seperate ,

it is an easlier way to calculate per wall point to price a Job though sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

If i'm putting in a quote for a cableing job especially for a job then the labour is nearly always more than 2 thirds of the total cost. Therefore I can charge 13.5%. Of course this is totally different if somewhere asks to be quoted for a network job and a few PC's as well then i'll ask if they want seperate quotes.

Schools especially say no because they're usually spending grant money and they want the quote to be as high as possible in order to get as much money as possible.

PC repair is 13.5% as it's labour also unless an expensive part has to be replaced. Then it's 13.5% for the labour part and 21% for the part. My accounts program automatically puts in the appropriate VAT percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Usually materials used in service/repair are VAT rated at 13.5%. Look at you car servicing, for example.

zippy28 wrote: »

Schools especially say no because they're usually spending grant money and they want the quote to be as high as possible in order to get as much money as possible.

Just quote 2,000€ per hour.....

• Advertisement

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Just quote 2,000€ per hour.....

That's a little low don't you think? :rolleyes:

zippy28 wrote: »
    That's a little low don't you think? :rolleyes:

That 2,000€ per hour to do the quote, which should take you ~2-3 Weeks

So, 1,008,000.00€

*/ Edit to include discount ; was new price should be 1,007,999.99€ */

Discount? Are you mad? Round up to the nearest hundred thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

PC repair is 21 percent surely, no matter what?!

In general professional services are 21 percent. This thing about the labour component is a red herring. Solicitor's services, for instance, are always 21 percent, even though it's pure labour.

13.5 percent is for buildings and building services. As I understand it structured cabling qualifies at this rate because it is a building service. Of course the two-thirds thing still applies.

Advertisement